PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of not renewing my PGI membership.

displayfireworks1
11-15-2020, 07:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANKFEzNyoQ
https://www.pgi.org/past-conventions

Rick_In_Tampa
11-15-2020, 10:07 PM
Dave - As you know I'm your unofficial PGI reporter at large for the conventions. A few things in response to your video.

Next year we were supposed to be going to Oshkosh Wisconsin. Unfortunately, the Oshkosh lawyers demands were too steep a hill to overcome. So out of necessity the board cancelled that venue. As I understand it, they are looking at alternate sites in Wisconsin for a future show.

As for Pennsylvania, my understanding is that there is no longer a suitable venue available the first week in August when the PGI has their convention. But the board is actively looking for different venues east of the Mississippi.

The geographic center for the PGI members has been determined to be Gillette Wyoming! So to hold a convention on the east coast would be a greater burden to a larger percentage of the membership than having those of us on the east coast head out west.

As for drumming up memberships... I agree in spades!! I personally floated the idea of a tiered membership fee for lifetime memberships a few years ago, and I was shut down quickly. This year I did it again and I got an email from the PGI president directly asking me what I had in mind. So I sat down and I sent him a detailed rate schedule by age with justification for each. (I can forward to you if you're interested). I was told that they would take that up at one of their meetings. Does that mean they're going to do anything with it? Who knows. But at least they seem to be open to new ideas.

For me, I spend $4K-$6K every year on my show. So another $75 for a PGI membership is really no big deal. I consider it part of the cost of my August PGI vacation for a week's worth of pyro and workshops. Really inconsequential.

So that's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-15-2020, 10:33 PM
As for the display area issues you mentioned... Not sure which specific area you're talking about, but I'm on the Safety Team and I work the class C area. We got a new leader 2 years ago over class C items in general, but the guy that runs the class C area specifically has been doing it for many many years, and he does a great job. We have a blast out there (no pun intended) and we keep it safe. Scott Smith and his crew even came out and set up some Cobra gear for people to use.

On the admin side of things.... I have voiced my concern over the archaic method of making people register for conventions and membership renewals and the huge waste of money to print and mail bulletins. For 4 years now I've been hearing that a new computer system is coming so people can join and renew memberships online, and register for the convention. Still no system. So yes, I am more than aggravated about that. They are also hard over on printing and mailing the bulletins because, that's what the majority of the old timers want. Unfortunately, the average age of a PGI member is (if memory serves) over 55. My suggestion was to keep printing bulletins for those that want it hard copy, but charge them an extra fee for their membership! The rest of us can view it electronically online. Their new website can have a "members only" area to view the bulletins if they're worried about losing their "secrets." That would save us a ton of money. Again, it fell on deaf ears I think.

I think someone like you that has a bigger megaphone than me should bring those concerns to the attention of the PGI board. When it comes from you it's going to carry more weight. So as a paying member I would encourage you to not quit, but start squeaking like I've been trying to do since I joined! It's the only way things are going to get better.