View Full Version : Setting off fireworks near Pittsburgh?

d_vova
11-01-2020, 07:43 AM
I recently purchased a few cases of consumer grade fireworks but they appear to be too large to set off in my neighborhood. Do you have any suggestions on where I can legally set them off near Pittsburgh?

Birdman
11-01-2020, 02:02 PM
In PA I believe you need to be 150 feet away from any occupied structures (this doesn't just include homes and includes any structure that could potentially have someone inside even if you know they are unoccupied at the moment). You can't shoot on public lands, without getting a permit etc. You also need to follow any town ordinances so make sure you know those laws because they can differ from town to town. Also be aware of any other ordinances like those for noise etc. If you don't know anyone that has suitable property that will allow you to shot there you may want to look for open shoots and/or find a pyro club in the area. I don't have any suggestions for you but someone on here that is from western PA may be able to help. There are also other laws, like not being under the influence, so make sure you read up on all of the laws to be sure you are following them.

jknepp1954
11-01-2020, 03:46 PM
I would think Pittsburgh or most of the suburb around would be legally impossible to do. Find a friend out in the country side someplace.
Most towns will not accomodate legally shooting 1.4 as too many houses/buildings/ around! the 150' is quite restrictive. Unless you are in sweet with some local powers that be to use the local ball field/park. But get their permission in writing is what i would recommend.
or like Birdman said - look to possibly join clubs in the future -
And NEVER EVER shoot late at night - be courteous to your neighbors. Local ordinanses such as noise or nuisance ordinances - know what they are.

d_vova
11-01-2020, 09:29 PM
Thank you for the replies! I am acquainted with the local laws and ordinances and have been following them very closely -- mostly using ground level fireworks that have much lower requirements (35 ft), letting the neighborhood know what and when I am setting off, and making sure my displays are done by 9pm. However, the neighbors recently started using aerials and so I purchased some before verifying that we have enough distance between the houses -- visually, it seemed like we might be just within the limits but it is actually 250 ft / 2 = 125 ft.

You mentioned "open shoots", is it a term that has a specific meaning? What would qualify as an "open shoot"?

I am open to joining a club but a simple google search does not produce any meaningful results. I can see "CrackerJacks" that are located in VA / Eastern PA which seems a bit far. Do you have any tips on how to approach finding a local club?

Rick_In_Tampa
11-01-2020, 10:31 PM
Or, you can move to Florida and shoot them pretty much anywhere at any time. The extremes around the same country really astound me. This year was the first time in 26 years of living in Florida that I actually shot LEGALLY on the 4th of July. Fireworks are supposedly legal in Pa now and yet this man has to jump through all kinds of hoops just to shoot off a few cases. Unreal.

jknepp1954
11-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the replies! I am acquainted with the local laws and ordinances and have been following them very closely -- mostly using ground level fireworks that have much lower requirements (35 ft), letting the neighborhood know what and when I am setting off, and making sure my displays are done by 9pm. However, the neighbors recently started using aerials and so I purchased some before verifying that we have enough distance between the houses -- visually, it seemed like we might be just within the limits but it is actually 250 ft / 2 = 125 ft.

You mentioned "open shoots", is it a term that has a specific meaning? What would qualify as an "open shoot"?

I am open to joining a club but a simple google search does not produce any meaningful results. I can see "CrackerJacks" that are located in VA / Eastern PA which seems a bit far. Do you have any tips on how to approach finding a local club?

Clubs that i am personally affiliated with are the Crackerjacks. They usually have at least 2 or 3 shoots in PA - but they are usually central or Eastern Pa. And in Va. Once upon a time they use to have 1 shoot a yr in W Pa.
Pyro Artists of Pa. - most all shoots are in Pa. They also have an avg of 1 or 2 PGI certification classes per year. I just hosted a month ago 1 of their many open shoots - in Morrisdale. They have an avg 0f 6 shoots a year - also help plan a couple yearly shows. ` 1 in Johnstown, the other near the Philly area end of this month. if you are interested in this one - contact me off line and i can email app form

Also a club called NLPC - orginanated in the NE states, but has migrated shoots here in PA and Md.
A couple of Ohio clubs - maybe someone form that area can chime in as i am not familiar with them.

d_vova
11-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Thank you! I will look into the clubs you suggested.

Bitzan
11-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Northeast Ohio Pyrotechnics Group (https://www.neopg.com/) seems to do quite a bit near the Ohio / PA border. Next (and last for the year) shoot is this Saturday, 11/7 in Niles, Ohio so depending which side of town you are on not a bad drive.

Arclight
11-04-2020, 07:54 PM
I mean you can set off anything at your house...once.