PDA

View Full Version : Magazine perimeter security

tmwjr
10-25-2020, 08:08 PM
We were thinking of installing a small type 4 magazine for next season. I will be leasing a portion of the farm that we usually shoot on. This situation limits some of what I can do with perimeter security. I've spoken with atf and they are supportive and were helpful, but I'm concerned about my ability to meet Pennsylvania DEP regulations regarding gates and security. We were initially wanting to build a type 1, but I can't meet the security standards.

The magazine will be
- on a 120 acre farm
- off of a private dirt road on the property
- about 600' from the nearest inhabited structure, etc
- I am hoping to take up just enough land to put a small 10x10 magazine and enough for the necessary perimeter

What have others done in Pennsylvania that was approved by DEP that met security standards for a type 4 magazine?

Thanks,

Tom

Arclight
10-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Do you have a link to the PA rules? The biggest issue for any magazine is placing it somewhere that is far enough away from roads/houses for safety but can be visited every 7 days. The person who checks on it DOES NOT need to have the keys or be an EP. They just need to be able to walk or drive by and verify its physical integrity. Having a caretaker that lives on or near the site is about 85% of your security in the real world.

Other things you can do to increase security that are not expensive;

1. Get some cellular game cameras. The "Spypoint" line starts around $150 and comes with free cell service (up to a certain number of pictures per month). You will get a push notification on your phone any time a person or vehicle approaches. The batteries last 3-6 months.

2. Block the road with at least a steel cable and some 4" steel pipe set in concrete. Pay someone with a tractor to place rocks or dirt berms in a way that makes it tough to drive around. People are lazy and are much less likely to mess with your stuff if they can't drive right up to it. It also makes it harder to do something like try to yank your door with a pickup truck.

Harbor Freight sells a replacement winch cable with an end pre-swaged and it's quite affordable. I recommend getting "ABUS 83" series rekeyable locks. You can get two big ones for the magazine itself and then locks that are master-keyed for gates, barriers, etc. So your key can open everything, but you can give out keys to the caretaker/farm owner that only works on the gates.

3. You can get solar-powered lighting that is either 24/7 or motion-activated.

4. Get a rural driveway monitor device for both your magazine and the road in,. One brand is the "MURS Alert" from Dakota Engineering. Buy a couple of these and get a base station to match. This will let the property owner get alerted whenever anyone drives up their road. If it provides value to them (get an extra one for their fuel tanks or barn) then they are likely to keep the radio on and check it out if it goes off.

5. If you want to install Internet in a place that doesn't have it, I can help you here. The Internet-connected cameras have more features, such as the ability to log in remotely or use a 2-way PA system to talk to someone you catch on camera. This is a real game changer for running off people before they cause trouble.

6. There are other things you can do for physical security which I am willing to discuss over PM.

tmwjr
10-25-2020, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. Those are all very helpful ideas and are much appreciated. PM sent.

Here is a link to the section on storage. Only paragraphs 8 and 9 apply to Display Fireworks. Below is a copy/paste of those paragraphs. I know that it is very specific, but I am just hoping that I can get away with boulders or something similar. If I have to do a fence with a gate then so be it. I just might wait a little longer. The shell size limitation and not being able to store salute cakes is a big drawback at this point.

http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/025/chapter211/s211.115.html&d=

---------------------------------------
(8) Outer perimeter security gates shall be constructed at all access points. Gates shall be designed and constructed to deter, to the greatest extent possible, defeat of the gate by wheeled vehicles. Gates shall have firmly anchored posts and be kept in a condition which maintains their original functionality. Gateposts shall be a minimum 6.625-inch outside diameter. Posts shall be set in concrete at a minimum depth of 42 inches. The postholes shall be a minimum of 16 inches in diameter and be completely filled with concrete. The Department may approve, in writing, the use of gateposts having smaller diameters or other shapes or alternate gatepost anchoring methods, or both, that provide at least equivalent security.

(9) Outer perimeter security gates shall be padlocked whenever the site is unoccupied. All gates shall have 2 locks which meet the specifications of paragraph (7)(vi)—(viii).

------------------------------------------------------------

I would submit the application and then try to get the inspector to preapprove everything regardless. I am just trying to have a decent plan to start with.

Fire Art
11-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Outer perimeter can be large boulders placed around the magazine to prevent a vehicle from getting to the magazine but they are usually sticklers on the gate being a gate. you can have a gate and boulders, the perimeter does not need to be connected to the gate. I would encourage you to call the DEP and have conversation with the person assigned to your area to bounce your thoughts off of. I have heard of many different things that were approved as perimeter security; jersey barriers, Tires filled with concrete, concrete posts, etc.

tmwjr
03-25-2021, 09:26 PM
Here's an update to this post. Thanks to Al at fireart and arclight. It was approved by DEP and ATF yesterday for 10,000 pounds. Al, you have my business.