PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from NJ magazine owners

NewPyro93
10-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Apparently I do not need my magazine inspected by the fire marshal or anyone in the local fire department but I do have to let the UCC guy at my local municipal office know. Does that make any sense?

hatsgoods
10-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Yes because your mag and the rules are runner from ATF not local. Only local and state peeps have a say when you are doing a display that's is public and or private. But you have to let your county and local township know so if there's a emergency and or fire near by on in / or the mag then they need to know so that's a main reason why local and State is not doing any inspecting. Only inspection they do is on the show to hand you you're paper permit.

hatsgoods
10-14-2020, 09:59 AM
You can always email me and can explain. I went though all this in New Jersey but said F. it and just went with contingency storage plan from my local distributors of 1.3G product.

Arclight
10-14-2020, 11:10 AM
If it's just for ATF, they have a line on the application where they want to know that you contacted your nearest fire official. Usually, you can call the city or county, get the name of the person you talked to that doesn't care about magazines or tells you its the ATF or some other agency's problem, and jot that down on the form. Not sure if NJ is similar?

NewPyro93
10-14-2020, 11:13 AM
I called 2 different people. One from the state and the other from the town and both said "not our problem" LOL

hatsgoods
10-14-2020, 01:02 PM
I called 2 different people. One from the state and the other from the town and both said "not our problem" LOL

not their problem until a fire exploxdes then mag.

NewPyro93
10-14-2020, 03:19 PM
not their problem until a fire exploxdes then mag.

Thats exactly what I told them

hatsgoods
10-15-2020, 01:59 PM
Thats exactly what I told them

one reason why i hate most new jersey office aoj's. they think they all know it all's if not refuse to help on anything even when its their job and then when a mag blows up they all pissed off and they panties in a bunch and when I tell them shut up and grown up and stop their 3 year old crying the get even madder but im not sorry. i say do your damn job or get the F. out cuz I dont deal with any assholes on any levels.

Salutecake
10-18-2020, 05:41 PM
So are you guys saying, in NJ, you can build a a magazine - and I assume follow the guidelines in the ATF manual, then all you need to do is notify the code guy? Don't take this the wrong way, but in a state like NJ where you can't do anything fun, it doesn't seem possible it would be that easy.

NewPyro93
10-18-2020, 06:24 PM
So are you guys saying, in NJ, you can build a a magazine - and I assume follow the guidelines in the ATF manual, then all you need to do is notify the code guy? Don't take this the wrong way, but in a state like NJ where you can't do anything fun, it doesn't seem possible it would be that easy.

Thats exactly what I thought! It doesn't make any sense especially for a state like NJ... NJ is a fun sucking state LOL and to think I've lived here my whole life of 27 years... I've talked to 2 different people, one fire marshall of my town and the state fire inspector. They both said to contact the UCC guy in the municipal building of my town. Does not make any sense to me...

Crush630
10-19-2020, 09:39 AM
Thats exactly what I thought! It doesn't make any sense especially for a state like NJ... NJ is a fun sucking state LOL and to think I've lived here my whole life of 27 years... I've talked to 2 different people, one fire marshall of my town and the state fire inspector. They both said to contact the UCC guy in the municipal building of my town. Does not make any sense to me...

IL is the same way but worse. Much worse.

NewPyro93
10-19-2020, 12:08 PM
IL is the same way but worse. Much worse.

Really? There's actually a state worse than NJ? I would never think there could be a state worse than NJ lol

specialfxpyro
10-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Hey brother some FYI

Sending you to the local zoning guy is the norm because that's where it all starts. If the neighbors raise any objections that will be the end of the process. If they don't and zoning guy approves the next step is getting local police and fire approval, then state, NJ labor board and finally ATF approval.

Like I told you before a friend in NJ spent 10k in legal fees to get a magazine on his property. If he wanted to shoot fireworks on his property it's another $800 - $2000 each time he shoots fireworks for permit, fire department and insurance.

All of which circles back to what I told weeks ago, getting a 54 in NJ is about as useless as tits on a bull.

NewPyro93
10-20-2020, 04:49 PM
Hey brother some FYI

Sending you to the local zoning guy is the norm because that's where it all starts. If the neighbors raise any objections that will be the end of the process. If they don't and zoning guy approves the next step is getting local police and fire approval, then state, NJ labor board and finally ATF approval.

Like I told you before a friend in NJ spent 10k in legal fees to get a magazine on his property. If he wanted to shoot fireworks on his property it's another $800 - $2000 each time he shoots fireworks for permit, fire department and insurance.

All of which circles back to what I told weeks ago, getting a 54 in NJ is about as useless as tits on a bull.

Looks like I'll be doing contingency then. I don't mind doing contingency honestly. Either way its worth a shot

Salutecake
10-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Now that sound more like NJ!

specialfxpyro
10-21-2020, 12:19 AM
Looks like I'll be doing contingency then. I don't mind doing contingency honestly. Either way its worth a shot

I'd suggest you work for a display company or 3 and once you build a relationship with a company you can shoot fireworks in NJ on there license or insurance. However you are not going to escape the high cost of shooting within NJ. Getting a 54 in this state just puts you on local, state and federal radar. Some folks can fly below the radar and if they get caught can plead ignorance. Once you get a 54 pleading ignorance is not an option.

Getting a 54 is great idea for many folks around the country. It gives them the freedom to enjoy the hobby. Sadly however there are several states where it's a bad idea or useless. We happen to live in one of those states. That's why I joined clubs and shoot professionally. Most companies will allow you to bring family along on a professional show and give them a front row seat. Some companies even give you a bit of creative leeway with there shows. I think I mentioned how on our 4th show the company owner and fire marshal allow me to add in my own fireworks to create a false finale. My wife, children and grandchildren have attended many of my shows including my indoor and flame effect gigs, free of charge and in the front row.

The cheapest way to legally shoot 1.3 and enjoy the hobby is by joining a club. Everyone I've ever met in 3 different clubs are the nicest people and full of knowledge. Many parts of the country don't have the option of joining a club we have 4 different clubs within a few hours drive or less. Forget about the magazine and 54 and join the clubs, networking is the most productive time you can spend in this hobby/industry.

specialfxpyro
10-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Just a little more 411 for anyone following along.

The purpose of being sent to the local zoning guy as first step to get a magazine in NJ is because you are required to get a zoning variance before a magazine can even be considered. From an attorney friend in NJ who owns a display company in NJ.... Your chances of getting a zoning varience are slim to none unless you get a lawyer and then your chances are slim to almost none. Total waste of time and money.

Getting a 54 is easy but keep in mind it's USER PERMIT not a license. You should always contact your local a state officials to find out what's involved in storing and shooting fireworks in your town and state before bothering with a 54. Sure I can get a 54 in NJ but at the end of the day what good is it if the state is not going to allow me to store and or shoot fireworks.

NewPyro93
10-21-2020, 04:48 PM
I agree specialfxpyro. Its a total waste of time and money trying to get a magazine but atleast if you get your 54 you can buy 1.3 products and go to open shoots. You can join a club and tag along on their license but I'd just rather have my own too. I don't like depending on other's. Just the way I am. I'm going to work for a couple display companies also

Engineer Cat
10-21-2020, 07:26 PM
I'd suggest you work for a display company or 3 and once you build a relationship with a company you can shoot fireworks in NJ on there license or insurance. However you are not going to escape the high cost of shooting within NJ. Getting a 54 in this state just puts you on local, state and federal radar. Some folks can fly below the radar and if they get caught can plead ignorance. Once you get a 54 pleading ignorance is not an option.

I obtained the information from Dave about getting a 54 a few years back and after spending a lot of time researching all the hoops that I would have to jump through I decided it wasn't worth the time or money. I shoot mostly for fun. Shows in friends backyards for holidays and parties. Not worth being put on the radar just to get 1.3.

Can you provide the names of the clubs you know here? I would be interested in that and local display companies.

NewPyro93
10-21-2020, 07:55 PM
Pm'ed you engineer cat. Hopefully someone else can chime in too

specialfxpyro
10-21-2020, 09:36 PM
I obtained the information from Dave about getting a 54 a few years back and after spending a lot of time researching all the hoops that I would have to jump through I decided it wasn't worth the time or money. I shoot mostly for fun. Shows in friends backyards for holidays and parties. Not worth being put on the radar just to get 1.3.

Can you provide the names of the clubs you know here? I would be interested in that and local display companies.

MAPAG - Clubs shoots in Va. Mostly a builders club
PA Pyros - Club Shoots in Pa. Mostly a show club
Crackerjacks - Club shoots in Pa. and Va. Combination shows and some building
NLPC - Club shoots in Pa. Md. and NH Mostly show club

Local display companies in NJ are not sponsers here so I can't mention in open forum. PM me for a list and I can get you on as a shooter with a company out of Toms River,NJ. I can also give you a list of companies that I would strongly recomend you stay clear of.

specialfxpyro
10-21-2020, 09:40 PM
I agree specialfxpyro. Its a total waste of time and money trying to get a magazine but atleast if you get your 54 you can buy 1.3 products and go to open shoots. You can join a club and tag along on their license but I'd just rather have my own too. I don't like depending on other's. Just the way I am. I'm going to work for a couple display companies also

I understand brother. Nothing wrong with getting a 54, I've just grown fond of shooting other people's fireworks and getting paid for it without any of the hassles NJ puts us through.

Engineer Cat
10-21-2020, 11:43 PM
Thanks man. Will do.