PDA

View Full Version : Exterminator Shells

Jumping Shane
09-25-2020, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure if they are new ones (is there a way to tell?) - but I picked up a kit of Exterminator shells today, and they are indeed banging shells. Holy Cow. I just did a few of them to try out, and they are by far the loudest shells I've ever done. I'll get the boom bouncing back from the shopping plaza across town a couple times, and these shells reverberated way longer than usual. Very big breaks - in my opinion. I feel like the height was kinda lacking, but that's every shell I try. Is there a particular shell that goes super high? It doesn't bother me too much - I kinda like the feeling of them being right on top of you, but it'd be nice to see one get some serious air every now and then. Man, canister shells - a gift from the Gods. They still stop me in my tracks when I shoot one. It's still a rush.

PyroKing31
09-26-2020, 06:29 AM
without buying a case you wont be able to see date codes to know when they were made. you would have to scour the web to see if the logo changed from year to year to tell what version you may have.

A true 60g can will always surprise you if your used to Excals being the standard and those are loaded at 40G tops these days.

jamisonlm3
09-26-2020, 11:37 PM
What color are the labels on the shells? The older ones had red paper lables with yellow tops. The newer ones have red foil labels. The thing you've got to remember about consumer canister shells is they only have around 10g of lift. Some have more and some have less, but they're all going to go about the same hight.

Fox One
11-12-2020, 10:00 PM
If you want height, the Everest shells from Brothers do well. But they seem to have a little less boom when they get up there....either because they fly higher or have extra powder in the lift charge at the expense of the burst composition.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-13-2020, 10:53 AM
The higher the shell goes, the less volume you hear when it breaks because the pressure wave creating the sound diminishes with distance. . Shells that break lower seem louder all the time regardless of what type shell it is.
There are "variables" to this statement, but that gets into how much lift charge, break charge, time to break, etc.

displayfireworks1
11-13-2020, 09:35 PM
The higher the shell goes, the less volume you hear when it breaks because the pressure wave creating the sound diminishes with distance. . Shells that break lower seem louder all the time regardless of what type shell it is.
There are "variables" to this statement, but that gets into how much lift charge, break charge, time to break, etc.

Thanks for bringing that up Joe. Some new fireworks enthusiast always have this desire to purchase longer mortar tubes etc to "Make the shells go higher". You do not want these things to go too high. Particularly a salute or an audible effect. I leaned this from an old Italian shell builder. I thought a salute shell at the time needed more lift because it broke too low. That is when he explained it to me.