PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic FEL Renewal Process By ATF

joewad
09-24-2020, 08:24 AM
I am curious to learn about the ATF's process when it comes to renewal of a FEL licensee during these "pandemic days". I've read about how they've changed their initial application process but haven't seen anything regarding renewal interviews. Or maybe I just overlooked it. Just curious, I'm not due for a FEL renewal review.

joewad
10-17-2020, 12:38 PM
One hundred views and no replies. Entered this reply to raise my initial post back up. I would have thought that someone in this forum had got their FEL renewed during these "pandemic times". And I was just curious how the visit/interview renewals were being handled by the ATF.

displayfireworks1
10-17-2020, 02:05 PM
I probably commented at least 4 or 5 times and so have others over the last few months. The process is moving at the same rate or even faster. They are talking to applicants on the phone.

Crush630
10-17-2020, 03:25 PM
20 days for my renewal. From the date I mailed it, to the date it arrived in the mail.

BTW the address is also different fyi.

Arclight
10-17-2020, 03:58 PM
If you have a magazine, don't be surprised if they schedule an inventory if it's been 3 years, COVID or not.

displayfireworks1
10-17-2020, 06:47 PM
20 days for my renewal. From the date I mailed it, to the date it arrived in the mail.

BTW the address is also different fyi.

What address is different? For a renewal?

joewad
10-17-2020, 07:55 PM
I probably commented at least 4 or 5 times and so have others over the last few months. The process is moving at the same rate or even faster. They are talking to applicants on the phone.

Sorry. I had read about the first timers but didn't realize some were renewals.

Crush630
10-17-2020, 09:19 PM
What address is different? For a renewal?

Yes, sent to Portland OR vs normally to WV.

displayfireworks1
10-18-2020, 05:50 PM
Yes, sent to Portland OR vs normally to WV.

You still got it wrong again. LOL It is, send it to Portland vs Georgia . It still does go to West Virginia only the ATF clearing house/bank needs to route it there. Step 1 is Portland and step 2 is West Virginia. In theory we are not smart enough to go directly to step 2. Only the ATF clearing house at step 1 can decide that. Are the new people confused yet? LOL

BMoore
10-19-2020, 09:05 AM
Do they not send out a renewal packet with the correct mailing instructions? Mine comes up for renewal in February so assume I'll receive a renewal packet in the near future. My interview was actually in February 2020 right before the pandemic hit so that part is out of the way. I too was curious how renewal interviews were being done now. Like joewad, I've seen a lot of discussion about new applicants being handled over the phone but not so much on renewals where they want to see your transaction paperwork.

Crush630
10-19-2020, 09:31 AM
You still got it wrong again. LOL It is, send it to Portland vs Georgia . It still does go to West Virginia only the ATF clearing house/bank needs to route it there. Step 1 is Portland and step 2 is West Virginia. In theory we are not smart enough to go directly to step 2. Only the ATF clearing house at step 1 can decide that. Are the new people confused yet? LOL

Pretty sure that says Portland... I am following the steps, not jumping over hurdles to get something that is still valid.

Hell I've been waiting since March for my FOID card here in IL. Now that is a joke.

lostpup
10-19-2020, 03:05 PM
Pretty sure that says Portland... I am following the steps, not jumping over hurdles to get something that is still valid.

Hell I've been waiting since March for my FOID card here in IL. Now that is a joke.

Crush I hear it will probably be next April for us to have the new ones in hand. Illinois is ridiculous.

PyroDre
10-26-2020, 09:26 AM
my renewal came up a few weeks ago

i had a home interview, we sat outside on my patio. Took about an hour.

Arclight
10-26-2020, 12:38 PM
I had an interesting conversation the other day with an importer that I consult for. He is not a US citizen, so they actually sent agents to knock on doors and talk to all of his neighbors, verify his address history, etc. He did get his FEL just fine but I think the issue was that other countries either don't share background check info with the US or they don't really trust it.

So the process could always be worse...