PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 update

NewPyro93
09-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Mailed my application on the 11th of September. They just charged my credit card today on the 22nd. Things are starting to get going! I'm excited

ssmith512
09-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Yep, you should be getting "the phone call" soon! :cool:

NewPyro93
09-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Yep, you should be getting "the phone call" soon! :cool:

I hope so! I'm just a little bit worried because I'm a diesel mechanic and most of my jobs are on the side of the highways with my compressor running. I'm worried I won't hear my phone and I miss their call

displayfireworks1
09-22-2020, 07:14 PM
I hope so! I'm just a little bit worried because I'm a diesel mechanic and most of my jobs are on the side of the highways with my compressor running. I'm worried I won't hear my phone and I miss their call

Under the contact part of the application did you also list your email? Since you are busy with work in a noisy environment consider temporarily changing your voice mail to state it best to email you and then spell out your email in your voice message. Seems like we are all to busy to talk on the phone and email always works best. The added benefit of email is it memorializes all communication. Which may be of benefit in New Jersey if you anticipate some of this resistance reported by other pyrotalk members here on the forums. Not sure how many ATF Fireworks licensee's there are in New Jersey , there may only be a very limited number of Explosive Inspectors with expertise to handle new explosive applicants. He/She may have your application on their desk waiting to find time to act on it. Hang in there , it should happen soon. Curious how many miles are you from Trenton New Jersey? If you are close , don't rule out they may just show up at your home using the hours and days of the week you listed as open.

NewPyro93
09-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Under the contact part of the application did you also list your email? Since you are busy with work in a noisy environment consider temporarily changing your voice mail to state it best to email you and then spell out your email in your voice message. Seems like we are all to busy to talk on the phone and email always works best. The added benefit of email is it memorializes all communication. Which may be of benefit in New Jersey if you anticipate some of this resistance reported by other pyrotalk members here on the forums. Not sure how many ATF Fireworks licensee's there are in New Jersey , there may only be a very limited number of Explosive Inspectors with expertise to handle new explosive applicants. He/She may have your application on their desk waiting to find time to act on it. Hang in there , it should happen soon. Curious how many miles are you from Trenton New Jersey? If you are close , don't rule out they may just show up at your home using the hours and days of the week you listed as open.

I did list my email in the application just incase they tried to get ahold of me and couldn't. Trenton is about an hour and a half away from me so they might just pop up lol. Which is fine because I have nothing to hide. I listed on my application to give me a heads up and I will be more than happy to drop what im doing and come meet them. I agree that email would be best for that same exact reason. They can try to talk me out of it all they want. I am not backing down lol

NewPyro93
10-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Sent my application in on the 11th of September, they charged my card the 22nd of September and still no call. I should've known it was going to take longer than usual. For some reason NJ is very slow with everything that involves background checks. Getting my firearms identification card was the same. Took forever

NewPyro93
10-28-2020, 09:56 AM

This is what one of the inspectors told me.... I dont get it

ssmith512
10-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Just got my license yesterday. I received it 8 weeks and 1 day from my phone interview. My inspector and I were under the impression mine took so long due to my very common name in conjunction with a backlog of new gun sales / first time carry permit applications?

Stay patient.

NewPyro93
10-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Just got my license yesterday. I received it 8 weeks and 1 day from my phone interview. My inspector and I were under the impression mine took so long due to my very common name in conjunction with a backlog of new gun sales / first time carry permit applications?

Stay patient.

I actually just got a phone call today and my interview is setup for Monday morning at 9am. I guess me telling them there's a 90 day period really got to them

lostpup
10-28-2020, 02:55 PM
I actually just got a phone call today and my interview is setup for Monday morning at 9am. I guess me telling them there's a 90 day period really got to them

Awesome to hear on the interview, please don't go into it thinking or sounding like this response did on you getting to them on the 90 days. They are not on our timeliness. Be curtious and direct. Do not lie but only answer the question asked and you will have it in your hand in no time.

Some how I have mine in hand 47 days after the app was mailed. I received mine yesterday like ssmith, but mine was mailed to Oregon on Sept 10th.

NewPyro93
10-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Awesome to hear on the interview, please don't go into it thinking or sounding like this response did on you getting to them on the 90 days. They are not on our timeliness. Be curtious and direct. Do not lie but only answer the question asked and you will have it in your hand in no time.

Some how I have mine in hand 47 days after the app was mailed. I received mine yesterday like ssmith, but mine was mailed to Oregon on Sept 10th.

Oh absolutely. I will in no way act like a attorney or thinking I know everything. I will not ask any questions, I will listen and only answer questions I am asked

215less
10-29-2020, 01:09 PM
I mailed mine in on Monday the 26th so we shall see. I’d be happy getting it by the new year.

NewPyro93
10-29-2020, 04:40 PM
I mailed mine in on Monday the 26th so we shall see. I’d be happy getting it by the new year.

Hopefully you will!

NewPyro93
11-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Had my interview today. Took literally 5 minutes.... when I asked if he was going to be mailing me a orange book he told me to buy one.... now the question is where can i buy one?

Crush630
11-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Had my interview today. Took literally 5 minutes.... when I asked if he was going to be mailing me a orange book he told me to buy one.... now the question is where can i buy one?

Haven't heard of an agent telling someone to go buy one... The interview should have been longer than 5 mins.....

NewPyro93
11-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Haven't heard of an agent telling someone to go buy one... The interview should have been longer than 5 mins.....

It literally went like this. He told me to date and sign a paper he sent to me saying that I had all my documents filled out properly. After that I asked if he would be mailing me a orange book and his exact words were " you have to buy one. I dont care what these forum people are telling you" after he said that I said thank you for your time and hung up

NewPyro93
11-02-2020, 11:26 AM
He also said my license should come in the mail in about a month

Salutecake
11-02-2020, 11:35 AM
I could believe 5 minutes -- In NE PA my interview took 3 hours, My son's interview in the Philly are took 20 minutes? The orange ATF book, 2012 free on line. https://www.atf.gov/file/58741/download

NewPyro93
11-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Yeah but in NJ?! 5 minutes was insane. Where can I buy the actual orange book though?

BMoore
11-02-2020, 05:10 PM
5 Minutes? Wow. I've been through two interviews now and both have been over an hour. A lot of general chit chat but just running through and initialing the checklists seems like it takes 15-20 minutes. Are they even doing that over the phone these days?? As for the Orange Book I don't think you can buy it. It is downloadable off the ATF website for free. I have an official copy but honestly I can't remember if the ATF provided it or if I got it at one of the training courses I attended.

NewPyro93
11-02-2020, 06:54 PM
5 Minutes? Wow. I've been through two interviews now and both have been over an hour. A lot of general chit chat but just running through and initialing the checklists seems like it takes 15-20 minutes. Are they even doing that over the phone these days?? As for the Orange Book I don't think you can buy it. It is downloadable off the ATF website for free. I have an official copy but honestly I can't remember if the ATF provided it or if I got it at one of the training courses I attended.

Yep. 5 minutes.... he sent me a sheet that had a checklist of everything I needed to have done and everything was checked off. He had me sign and date it and that was pretty much it

Salutecake
11-02-2020, 10:33 PM
Hey NewPyro93, My orange book was given to me by my Inspector at the time of my interview. I posted the link for the downloadable book, if you want a hard copy you can probably just shoot off an email on the ATF web site requesting a copy. The other book you should look for is on the NFPA website some where -- https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Standards/All-Codes-and-Standards/Free-access -- It's a separate codes standard book just on fireworks here's a better link: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=1123 I bought one years ago -50 60 bucks, if I remember correctly - It's the book your local fire guy is going to go by to issue a permit.

NewPyro93
11-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Hey NewPyro93, My orange book was given to me by my Inspector at the time of my interview. I posted the link for the downloadable book, if you want a hard copy you can probably just shoot off an email on the ATF web site requesting a copy. The other book you should look for is on the NFPA website some where -- https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Standards/All-Codes-and-Standards/Free-access -- It's a separate codes standard book just on fireworks here's a better link: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=1123 I bought one years ago -50 60 bucks, if I remember correctly - It's the book your local fire guy is going to go by to issue a permit.

Thank you Salutecake! My dumbass atf inspector told me "I don't have to give anything to you". Not in those exact words but he might as well have said it