PDA

View Full Version : 3" racks and mortars

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 01:31 PM
It looks like today is a rack and 3" mortar building kind of day. I buy my own hdpe pipe and cut them to length, plug and sucure the plugs. Got 4 racks and 40 tubes done so far. Another 30 to go before I run out of 3" dr17 pipe. How do you all build your racks and or make your mortars?

d34d3ND
09-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Very nice. Same here. I find that buying my own 3" pipe (if you can find a supplier), cutting it and plugging it is much cheaper. As you get into the larger sizes, it becomes a little harder to find unless you buy in bulk and pay for freight, or what not.

Simple question, and this is because I dont think I have found a "true" answer, but I noticed you do not space your mortars in your rack. NFPA, ATF, and even local/state authorities all seem to gloss over this and there does not seem to be a 'standard'. Or, maybe there is and I have been looking in the wrong places. I found an official document for California regulations (I am not from California but I hear they are strict) stating that you should have a 2x4 in between each tube. https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I3382A3E0D45211DEA95CA4428EC25FA0?viewType=FullTex t&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=DocumentItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

The reasons that I have found, from other places, was due to an explosion in the mortar would not cause the mortar next to it to be altered thus changing the trajectory of the shell being launched.

I am not saying what you did is wrong, but I was hoping others could weigh in on some of their thoughts. All in all, good work man. Your racks look very nice, straight, and consistent. Nothing worse than having racks of different sizes due to bad craftsmanship.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Very nice. Same here. I find that buying my own 3" pipe (if you can find a supplier), cutting it and plugging it is much cheaper. As you get into the larger sizes, it becomes a little harder to find unless you buy in bulk and pay for freight, or what not.

Simple question, and this is because I dont think I have found a "true" answer, but I noticed you do not space your mortars in your rack. NFPA, ATF, and even local/state authorities all seem to gloss over this and there does not seem to be a 'standard'. Or, maybe there is and I have been looking in the wrong places. I found an official document for California regulations (I am not from California but I hear they are strict) stating that you should have a 2x4 in between each tube. https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I3382A3E0D45211DEA95CA4428EC25FA0?viewType=FullTex t&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=DocumentItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

The reasons that I have found, from other places, was due to an explosion in the mortar would not cause the mortar next to it to be altered thus changing the trajectory of the shell being launched.

I am not saying what you did is wrong, but I was hoping others could weigh in on some of their thoughts. All in all, good work man. Your racks look very nice, straight, and consistent. Nothing worse than having racks of different sizes due to bad craftsmanship.

I've always thought that racks of 3" and lower do not need spacers. Anything 4" and above needs spacers. I also use the 10 rule. So my 4" racks would be a 6 shot. Some people use spacers in their 3" racks and some don't.
4" + 6 = 10
5" + 5 = 10
6" + 4 = 10
Also I wouldn't use a 2x4. It would make the rack way too heavy. Thank you for your kind words. I am by no means a carpenter but I would like to think of myself as a handyman lol. If anyone lives in Pennsylvania there's a company in Downingtown called Lee's supply. They have 3" and above at a reasonable price. I paid just under 170$ for 80 feet of 3" dr17

d34d3ND
09-20-2020, 08:47 PM
I've always thought that racks of 3" and lower do not need spacers. Anything 4" and above needs spacers. I also use the 10 rule. So my 4" racks would be a 6 shot. Some people use spacers in their 3" racks and some don't.
4" + 6 = 10
5" + 5 = 10
6" + 4 = 10

Yeah, I have 3" racks with and without just in case. Usually, I will do salutes out of the ones with spacers if anything. It definitely makes them larger (length) and a bit heavier. I live by the 10 rule as well. Yet another one of those "non-rule" rules :p . Would be nice if there was a standard. I dont know the exact numbers, but I have read that a fair amount of accidents are due to poor rack design or lack of stability due to poor bracing. Again, I dont want to make it sound like I am saying anything is wrong with your racks. They look exactly how I make mine. Im more complaining about the lack of an industry standard that could help improve safety by create a set of standards rather than wait until someone gets hurt to add a new page into the NFPA book or local governments having anymore reason to ban responsible people from having safe and responsible fun.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I have 3" racks with and without just in case. Usually, I will do salutes out of the ones with spacers if anything. It definitely makes them larger (length) and a bit heavier. I live by the 10 rule as well. Yet another one of those "non-rule" rules :p . Would be nice if there was a standard. I dont know the exact numbers, but I have read that a fair amount of accidents are due to poor rack design or lack of stability due to poor bracing. Again, I dont want to make it sound like I am saying anything is wrong with your racks. They look exactly how I make mine. Im more complaining about the lack of an industry standard that could help improve safety by create a set of standards rather than wait until someone gets hurt to add a new page into the NFPA book or local governments having anymore reason to ban responsible people from having safe and responsible fun.

Oh I agree. There's nothing worse than having someone's rack tip over. That's why i have those eye hooks at each end to put a spike in the ground for stability. I dislike 10 shot racks because they tip over easily. All my 1.75" racks are 30 and above shots. Kinda hard to carry them when they're 3" though lol.
I agree with you. They should have rules and regulations on the racks so lazy people can't skimp on materials. I think most "accidents" happen because they're not properly stabilized

specialfxpyro
09-20-2020, 11:11 PM
Oh I agree. There's nothing worse than having someone's rack tip over. That's why i have those eye hooks at each end to put a spike in the ground for stability. I dislike 10 shot racks because they tip over easily. All my 1.75" racks are 30 and above shots. Kinda hard to carry them when they're 3" though lol.
I agree with you. They should have rules and regulations on the racks so lazy people can't skimp on materials. I think most "accidents" happen because they're not properly stabilized

Here's an example of why I personally don't like eye hooks and rebar to stablize racks. 5" color shell

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 11:47 PM
Here's an example of why I personally don't like eye hooks and rebar to stablize racks. 5" color shell

Yeah i agree. I use wood for this sole purpose. Seen it happen before, very scary

d34d3ND
09-21-2020, 08:55 PM
That does not look like fun. I used to use eye bolts and rebar, but only for tiny setups and 3" max. For anything larger, it all depends, but usually it is using boards/nails to secure racks to each other. Fireworks, no matter what you use, there is an inherent danger. Being professionals, it is up to us to mitigate this danger so it is as safe as possible for the shooter and the spectators. Without a set of standards and practices adopted by professionals, stuff like this image is inevitable and casts a dark shadow on the trade from outsiders looking in. Most trades (electricians, engineers, carpenters, etc...) all have a set of codes and practices. Fireworks has books of broad regulations by the BATFE and NFPA, but lacks a unified set of processes on building, shooting, and safety otherwise.

NewPyro93
09-21-2020, 09:15 PM
That does not look like fun. I used to use eye bolts and rebar, but only for tiny setups and 3" max. For anything larger, it all depends, but usually it is using boards/nails to secure racks to each other. Fireworks, no matter what you use, there is an inherent danger. Being professionals, it is up to us to mitigate this danger so it is as safe as possible for the shooter and the spectators. Without a set of standards and practices adopted by professionals, stuff like this image is inevitable and casts a dark shadow on the trade from outsiders looking in. Most trades (electricians, engineers, carpenters, etc...) all have a set of codes and practices. Fireworks has books of broad regulations by the BATFE and NFPA, but lacks a unified set of processes on building, shooting, and safety otherwise.

Oh absolutely! You are 100% right. I always use the board and nails method when using multiple racks. Thats probably the safest and most secure way. These racks are more for when you're not putting on a show and just need one or two racks. Otherwise if you're using multiple racks the best way is to use nails and boards

specialfxpyro
09-22-2020, 01:20 AM

That pic is from rack destruction testing. 5" shell purposely loaded upside down.

I've seen at least a few different ways of safely attaching racks together to mitigate the hazards of a cato. I can't say one method is superior.

NewPyro93
09-22-2020, 04:04 AM
That pic is from rack destruction testing. 5" shell purposely loaded upside down.

I've seen at least a few different ways of safely attaching racks together to mitigate the hazards of a cato. I can't say one method is superior.

You're right. As long as they are stabilized safely and won't tip over there is no right or wrong way of doing it. To each their own i guess, right?

hatsgoods
09-23-2020, 06:46 AM

is that a towing strap i see holding that rack pod together on the far left?

NewPyro93
09-23-2020, 09:02 AM
is that a towing strap i see holding that rack pod together on the far left?

It sure is. Im sure it was just for demonstration purposes lol