PDA

View Full Version : Indoor magazine question

NewPyro93
09-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Hey all, I just had a quick question regarding a job box indoor magazine. I already have 1 48" rigid job box that I converted into a magazine, would I be allowed to have another magazine right beside it? Or would I have to put it away from the other magazine? I don't have my type 54 yet. Still waiting on them to charge my card and call with a interview date so I dont have the orange book. Thank you in advance!

displayfireworks1
09-19-2020, 08:31 PM
I'm just jumping into this without reading all of your posting. Magazines have to be separated or if they are too close to each-other the two split the weight that one alone would be restricted to. Perhaps someone else can confirm what I'm saying .

Arclight
09-19-2020, 10:58 PM
You can definitely have multiple magazines in one building, but I am pretty sure it's 50lbs "per structure" (i.e. building). You may be able to get a variance. See page 13 of this presentation:

https://www.atf.gov/file/61971/download

Arclight
09-19-2020, 11:12 PM
You can definitely have multiple magazines in one building, but I am pretty sure it's 50lbs "per structure" (i.e. building). You may be able to get a variance. See page 13 of this presentation:

NewPyro93
09-19-2020, 11:37 PM

I read the rules and regulations and it still never answered my question. It also didn't say anything about 50lbs per structure. I guess this is a question I will ask the agent when its time for the interview

NewPyro93
09-19-2020, 11:40 PM
I'm just jumping into this without reading all of your posting. Magazines have to be separated or if they are too close to each-other the two split the weight that one alone would be restricted to. Perhaps someone else can confirm what I'm saying .

I can separate them easily. I have multiple rooms in my garage but if what arclight is saying is true about only having 50lbs in a structure then it doesn't matter if you have multiple rooms under one roof. Thats just my guess

specialfxpyro
09-20-2020, 02:06 AM
If you need local approval, which you usually do. Good luck getting the local officials in NJ to approve it. You'll get ATF approval but NJ is another story.

The owner of MJG electric match is a friend of mine and he went through a lot of BS to get his local officials to approve a magazine in NJ.

NJ does not want hobbyist storing or shooting 1.3 in NJ so they don't make it easy. I tried to explain this to another member here when she went for her 54. She got her 54 but never shot any 1.3 in NJ other than when she was working for a professional display company.

If I were you I'd go to my local officals and talk to them about the magazine and aquiring permits in NJ first.

The suggestion to join a club is the best advice you have been given as a NJ resident.

ssmith512
09-20-2020, 08:09 AM
ATF Orange Book...

Part 555.210, (b) Indoor magazine
(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and theft-resistant. They need not be weather-resistant if the buildings in which they are stored provide protection from the weather. No indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The indoor storage of low explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50 pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators that will not mass detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total number of electric detonators must not exceed 5,000.

You can have as many magazines as you want under one roof. TOTAL quantity of stored material under 1 roof can not exceed 50lbs (sum of all stored material under 1 roof can not exceed 50lbs - example: you have 2 magazines, you can have 25lbs in one and 25lbs in the other or 50lbs in one and 0lbs in the other, and so on. A+B can not exceed 50lbs.)

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 11:04 AM
If you need local approval, which you usually do. Good luck getting the local officials in NJ to approve it. You'll get ATF approval but NJ is another story.

The owner of MJG electric match is a friend of mine and he went through a lot of BS to get his local officials to approve a magazine in NJ.

NJ does not want hobbyist storing or shooting 1.3 in NJ so they don't make it easy. I tried to explain this to another member here when she went for her 54. She got her 54 but never shot any 1.3 in NJ other than when she was working for a professional display company.

If I were you I'd go to my local officals and talk to them about the magazine and aquiring permits in NJ first.

The suggestion to join a club is the best advice you have been given as a NJ resident.

Looks like I'll be heading over to the state police tomorrow. I know whats going to happen. I'm going to go there and start asking questions about a indoor magazine and they're going to say "I don't know anything about magazines" or "a magazine can only be 10 rounds". Thinking i was talking about a firearm magazine LOL

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 11:07 AM
ATF Orange Book...

Part 555.210, (b) Indoor magazine
(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and theft-resistant. They need not be weather-resistant if the buildings in which they are stored provide protection from the weather. No indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The indoor storage of low explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50 pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators that will not mass detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total number of electric detonators must not exceed 5,000.

You can have as many magazines as you want under one roof. TOTAL quantity of stored material under 1 roof can not exceed 50lbs (sum of all stored material under 1 roof can not exceed 50lbs - example: you have 2 magazines, you can have 25lbs in one and 25lbs in the other or 50lbs in one and 0lbs in the other, and so on. A+B can not exceed 50lbs.)

I don't know how in the heck I missed this part. I guess I was too tired from work yesterday evening. Looks like I'll be building a outhouse if I get this first magazine approved

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 11:11 AM

NJ is such a strict state. Whether it's fireworks or firearms (I love to hunt). I'm trying to convince my parents to move to Pennsylvania since they're getting old and now live with me. I've been wanting to move to PA ever since I bought my first firearm and then i wanted to move even more when fireworks became legal. It's not easy trying to convince you're elder parents to move further away from family

specialfxpyro
09-20-2020, 04:33 PM
NJ is the state where fun went to die, a prison without walls.

I'm looking for a house in Pa. or WV After 58 years I've had with blue states. High taxes and restrictions on our freedoms is not the way forward.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 04:36 PM
NJ is the state where fun went to die, a prison without walls.

I'm looking for a house in Pa. or WV After 58 years I've had with blue states. High taxes and restrictions on our freedoms is not the way forward.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Such a shame to live in NJ

specialfxpyro
09-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Looks like I'll be heading over to the state police tomorrow. I know whats going to happen. I'm going to go there and start asking questions about a indoor magazine and they're going to say "I don't know anything about magazines" or "a magazine can only be 10 rounds". Thinking i was talking about a firearm magazine LOL

I believe you need to speak with your local fire marshal not the police. If you are required to get approval it will be the fire marshal who would give such an aproval.

Good luck keep us posted

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 05:58 PM
I believe you need to speak with your local fire marshal not the police. If you are required to get approval it will be the fire marshal who would give such an aproval.

Good luck keep us posted

I'll keep you updated! 6 more days until thunder in the Poconos!