View Full Version : 7" Canister shells

jamisonlm3
09-03-2020, 01:44 PM
It hasn't been that long since 5" shells become prominent. Shortly after, 6" shells started showing up. Now, we have a 7" shell hitting the market. Brothers has them (http://www.brotherspyrotechnics.com/detail/6855) on their website as a new 2021 product. I find how they're named ironic, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see 8" shells on the market in another 2-3 years.

Devo
09-03-2020, 02:17 PM
They'll be marketing shells the length of paper towel rolls before too long. Same composition...more debris.

PyroKing31
09-04-2020, 07:13 AM
I'm waiting for the 9" Mandingo Cans with a black wrapper.

bigmike06
09-04-2020, 07:25 AM
I'm waiting for the 9" Mandingo Cans with a black wrapper.

LOL. Maybe call it Dongdingo? :cool:

Rick_In_Tampa
09-07-2020, 05:35 AM
Okay... This conversation just took an unexpected turn for the worse... :(

Icooclast
09-07-2020, 09:05 AM
why not a 9" cannister shell called "Major Johnson"?

chetubet
09-07-2020, 09:07 AM
The new 7 inch from Brothers is actually looks pretty really decent....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxmJGVTwLM

Icooclast
09-08-2020, 08:04 AM
The new 7 inch from Brothers is actually looks pretty really decent....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxmJGVTwLM

thanks for the link. i think you're right, they do loook pretty cool. sound good as well

Klass Pyro
09-08-2020, 03:26 PM
thanks for the link. i think you're right, they do loook pretty cool. sound good as well

I like them. I wonder when they’ll hit the shelves?

topshelfpyro
09-09-2020, 12:12 AM
If you get some cut the top 2-3" of empty cardboard off and you might get them above the trees.......

Engineer Cat
10-22-2020, 02:49 AM
What's the point? I picked up 5inch growler shells and theres 1 1/2 inches of empty space in the shell. Isn't it just adding extra weight and debris for no reason except to deceive the buyer? Just like 3inch NOABs that are just 2inch shells wrapped in a bigger shell. It's just BS. Still the same composition if 3 4 5 6 7 inch for 1.4 consumer fireworks.

If you get some cut the top 2-3" of empty cardboard off and you might get them above the trees.......

I feel like he's right. These things don't seem to go very high. I would think it would be safer to have a bigger lift charge so they go higher then having these huge bursts only 120 - 150 feet off the ground. 200ft - 250ft which some of these claim don't seem to be realistic.

I got these rockets with these big heads on them that are nothing but cardboard pushed on. Not even glued. Pull off that head and look inside the top and there's at least 3 to 4 inches of nothing.

Here's a picture of one of the rockets I cut the waste from. Totals 30.6 grams of weight removed.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5294&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5295&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5296&stc=1

CaptainSparks
10-22-2020, 04:27 AM
What's the point? I picked up 5inch growler shells and theres 1 1/2 inches of empty space in the shell. Isn't it just adding extra weight and debris for no reason except to deceive the buyer? Just like 3inch NOABs that are just 2inch shells wrapped in a bigger shell. It's just BS. Still the same composition if 3 4 5 6 7 inch for 1.4 consumer fireworks.

I feel like he's right. These things don't seem to go very high. I would think it would be safer to have a bigger lift charge so they go higher then having these huge bursts only 120 - 150 feet off the ground. 200ft - 250ft which some of these claim don't seem to be realistic.

I got these rockets with these big heads on them that are nothing but cardboard pushed on. Not even glued. Pull off that head and look inside the top and there's at least 3 to 4 inches of nothing.

Here's a picture of one of the rockets I cut the waste from. Totals 30.6 grams of weight removed.

It is all about sales.

These are just like the "M-100s" that are just legal firecrackers inside of an M-80 looking concrete cylinder.

I have taken apart dozens if not hundreds of consumer fireworks and a surprisingly large amount of them, especially fountains, have more air than a family size bag of Doritos. Manufacturers also love to add concrete for weight too. The list of gimmicks in the consumer market is staggering.

It is all for show to catch someone’s eyes and make a sale... unfortunately uninformed people keep buying them up too. I bet these 7 inch shells will sell like hot cakes.

Scotty Rockets
10-22-2020, 05:49 AM
They’re still 1.75” shells are measured by diameter not length. 76 already has them and available to buy. Sad when pyros fall for this kind of marketing.

Engineer Cat
10-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Holy SMOKES! awesome smoke bomb!

BMoore
10-23-2020, 11:39 AM
Yes, it's a marketing ploy but doesn't bother me as much as other trickery such as disguising a ball shell as a cannister. Some of these long shells are really good despite the wasted cardboard. Some of my favorites are 5" long shells. As I remember it, this all started when a couple brands started marketing "True 60 Gram Shells" and dissections revealed that that really were right at 60G where as most 60G shells are closer to 50G. These "super shells" were made longer than standard to advertise to consumer that they were "bigger." It didn't take long though before the marketing strategy took hold and everyone started making longer and longer shells to the point of becoming ridiculous.

jamisonlm3
10-23-2020, 06:36 PM

Here's a picture of one of the rockets I cut the waste from. Totals 30.6 grams of weight removed. I'd say that most of the nicer NOABs are really just a well made 1.5" or 1.75" shell in another shell that acts as a sabot. That rocket might as well be a single shot from a cake. People looking at them in a store will just see the size and be amazed. They're big so they must be good right? Same for cakes, shells, etc. The thing that gets me is we pay more for this. It costs more to ship this stuff because it's pointlessly bigger and heavier. Lots of smoke and mirrors in the fireworks business.

leftiluci
10-24-2020, 11:29 AM
I'd say that most of the nicer NOABs are really just a well made 1.5" or 1.75" shell in another shell that acts as a sabot. That rocket might as well be a single shot from a cake. People looking at them in a store will just see the size and be amazed. They're big so they must be good right? Same for cakes, shells, etc. The thing that gets me is we pay more for this. It costs more to ship this stuff because it's pointlessly bigger and heavier. Lots of smoke and mirrors in the fireworks business.

not all of this is pointless. it is a nice vehicle for ol's. I have seen many true 3" single shot and cakes. As well as cans with over 100 g's.

morrison2951
10-24-2020, 08:54 PM
4" 60g shells for the win.

:cool:Your Tube shells last year with the mines were awesome.

fireworkguy98
10-31-2020, 02:34 PM
Its pretty crazy, i was watching a video review the other day and thought to myself, wow those shells look really short. Then i realized they were normal 4 inch shells and that ive gotten used to seeing the 5 inch shells on videos. :p 7 inches seems absurd to me unless they could come up with some kind of daytime shell that had a break that wasnt fully comprised of powder. Not even sure if that’s possible, just a thought.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Just a theory, but... As many have said on here, most 60g shells have less than 60g's in them. Sometimes considerably less. So maybe with these "7" shells" they actually bump up the powder so there's actually 60g's of powder in them. Enough to get them out of the tube and above the tree-line. But they charge a lot more for them. I don't know. My guess is some bean counter ran the numbers on how to make them at least AS profitable as the under-fueled stuff they're selling us now.