View Full Version : Hello from NJ

NewPyro93
09-03-2020, 10:52 AM
Hey all, I've been wanting to purchase and shoot 1.3 items for years now but have recently took it seriously and started watching all of Dave's videos. I just purchased his DVD set on the steps to take in order to obtain your type 54 license. Hopefully I'll be able to join you all in the 1.3 world!

ShorePyroTom
09-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Greetings New Pyro93, I am also from the Petrochemical, ahem... I mean Garden State.
You made the right step in purchasing the DVD set, I was able to get my Type 54 by following it. I would also recommend taking a PGI shooters certification course. I was fortunate to take mine at Kellner's Fireworks in Harrisville PA last October. Due to the pandemic most classes have been cancelled, but Kellner's is having one on October 3, 2020. It's a six hour drive from New Jersey, but it was worth it. I would also join the NFA, National Fireworks Association and the Pyrotechnics Guild International. I always like to support the organizations that support and promote the hobby.

NewPyro93
09-13-2020, 06:43 PM
Greetings New Pyro93, I am also from the Petrochemical, ahem... I mean Garden State.
You made the right step in purchasing the DVD set, I was able to get my Type 54 by following it. I would also recommend taking a PGI shooters certification course. I was fortunate to take mine at Kellner's Fireworks in Harrisville PA last October. Due to the pandemic most classes have been cancelled, but Kellner's is having one on October 3, 2020. It's a six hour drive from New Jersey, but it was worth it. I would also join the NFA, National Fireworks Association and the Pyrotechnics Guild International. I always like to support the organizations that support and promote the hobby.

Haha yeah I know what you mean about our state. I had no idea there was other nj people in here with their type 54. Im actually going to a hand lighting course, ematch course and some other courses this month on the 26th. Celebration Fireworks is having a event called thunder in the Poconos i think and its only an hour from me so im attending that. I will definitely be attending more courses in the future as they continue to come back because of the covid 19 bs. I'm already looking into being a pgi member and becoming a member of the nfa

Birdman
09-13-2020, 10:28 PM
I was going to recommend Celebration fireworks. I'm pretty sure it would be much closer for anyone in NJ.

NewPyro93
09-13-2020, 11:27 PM
I was going to recommend Celebration fireworks. I'm pretty sure it would be much closer for anyone in NJ.

Celebration Fireworks is pretty close but there's also Fireworks Extravaganza but they want a 395$ non refundable deposit for them to be used as a contingency plan. Celebration fireworks wanted 0$ and sent the contingency form over in a day with no hesitation

specialfxpyro
09-17-2020, 12:44 AM
Haha yeah I know what you mean about our state. I had no idea there was other nj people in here with their type 54. Im actually going to a hand lighting course, ematch course and some other courses this month on the 26th. Celebration Fireworks is having a event called thunder in the Poconos i think and its only an hour from me so im attending that. I will definitely be attending more courses in the future as they continue to come back because of the covid 19 bs. I'm already looking into being a pgi member and becoming a member of the nfa

Welcome brother my name is Howard and I'll be your hand lighting instructor at Celebration's Thunder in the Poconos event. Look forward to meeting you.

FYI the video will be a huge help getting your type 54 and don't take this as me trying to discourage you. But you should check with the local fire marshal wherever you plan to shoot 1.3 in NJ. The state has a practice of not issueing permits to anyone besides display companies. Not to say you can't find a fire marshal who will issue you a permit to shoot, just that it's not easy.

NJ also has this crazy rule about efiring a display in NJ. You are required to have a NJ blasters license to efire a display but no license to hand fire a display. The NJ blasters license cost $200 a year. If you decide to get one drop me a line and I'll help you get through the test. It's a hard test with only about 8 questions out of 45 on fireworks the rest are about blasting. They do not provide a study guide so you'll need help with blasting questions.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-17-2020, 11:00 AM
NewPyro93--consider joining a pyro club. CrackerJacks is having a club shoot this month in PA [this Sat 9-19 in Valley View PA] & next month in VA. at Culpepper on Oct 10th. PA PyroArtists is having an event on October3rd in central PA.

hatsgoods
09-17-2020, 03:24 PM
Celebration Fireworks is pretty close but there's also Fireworks Extravaganza but they want a 395$ non refundable deposit for them to be used as a contingency plan. Celebration fireworks wanted 0$ and sent the contingency form over in a day with no hesitation

I myself have only brought emtach and a few mortars from celebration fireworks INC. but highly recommend them. i shot for them for 2 seasons and the stuff they sell is what they use in they shows. Dave the owner of this site has a video on his YouTube of a pro show the celebration did using the star fire system. but they are great people there. yea they are pricey but they really honestly have great product for the money.

NewPyro93
09-17-2020, 05:45 PM
Welcome brother my name is Howard and I'll be your hand lighting instructor at Celebration's Thunder in the Poconos event. Look forward to meeting you.

FYI the video will be a huge help getting your type 54 and don't take this as me trying to discourage you. But you should check with the local fire marshal wherever you plan to shoot 1.3 in NJ. The state has a practice of not issueing permits to anyone besides display companies. Not to say you can't find a fire marshal who will issue you a permit to shoot, just that it's not easy.

NJ also has this crazy rule about efiring a display in NJ. You are required to have a NJ blasters license to efire a display but no license to hand fire a display. The NJ blasters license cost $200 a year. If you decide to get one drop me a line and I'll help you get through the test. It's a hard test with only about 8 questions out of 45 on fireworks the rest are about blasting. They do not provide a study guide so you'll need help with blasting questions.

Hey Howard! I also look forward to meeting you! I thought Tony was going to be the hand firing instructor, thats what I was told but I could be wrong. Either way it'll be a fun and good learning experience. I was thinking about going for my blasters license but we'll see what happens with my type 54 first

NewPyro93
09-17-2020, 05:46 PM
NewPyro93--consider joining a pyro club. CrackerJacks is having a club shoot this month in PA [this Sat 9-19 in Valley View PA] & next month in VA. at Culpepper on Oct 10th. PA PyroArtists is having an event on October3rd in central PA.

I don't have my type 54 yet though. Unless that doesn't matter

PyroJoeNEPA
09-17-2020, 07:00 PM
I don't have my type 54 yet though. Unless that doesn't matter

You do not need a 54 to join a club.

NewPyro93
09-17-2020, 08:17 PM
You do not need a 54 to join a club.
Im a little lost. If you dont have a type 54 then how do you participate in club shoots?

specialfxpyro
09-18-2020, 03:09 AM
Im a little lost. If you dont have a type 54 then how do you participate in club shoots?

You shoot under the club's license.

It's cheaper and easier. You save on permit and insurance costs.

Example would be shooting 1.3 in NJ. You'll need a $330 permit fee plus an insurance certificate. So you are out $500 - $1000 before you ever buy 1.3 and mortar tubes. That's why I never bothered to get a 54 in NJ...A wise old pyro once told me to go for type 20 instead of a 54 if I decided to get an ATF license. The type 20 gives you more Privileges

The club will have the permit, insurance and mortar tubes, you just need to buy the pyro under the club's license.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-18-2020, 09:08 AM

Example would be shooting 1.3 in NJ. You'll need a $330 permit fee plus an insurance certificate. So you are out $500 - $1000 before you ever buy 1.3 and mortar tubes. That's why I never bothered to get a 54 in NJ...A wise old pyro once told me to go for type 20 instead of a 54 if I decided to get an ATF license. The type 20 gives you more Privileges

The club will have the permit, insurance and mortar tubes, you just need to buy the pyro under the club's license.

Correct on all points. Also, being in a club opens the door for you to participate in group purchases, great "special" pricing from vendors involved with the club, delivery of 1.4 orders to the shoot site [and 1.3 if/when you do get documented], and an great opportunity to "network" with other pyros---and seek out someone to mentor you. Strength in numbers! And the opportunity to learn from seasoned pyros that already made the mistakes so you don't have to..LOL. And great times around the campfire at afterglow.

NewPyro93
09-18-2020, 12:08 PM

Oh okay. Now it all makes sense. Im sorry im new to the whole pyro clubs and forums. How would I go about joining a club?

NewPyro93
09-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Correct on all points. Also, being in a club opens the door for you to participate in group purchases, great "special" pricing from vendors involved with the club, delivery of 1.4 orders to the shoot site [and 1.3 if/when you do get documented], and an great opportunity to "network" with other pyros---and seek out someone to mentor you. Strength in numbers! And the opportunity to learn from seasoned pyros that already made the mistakes so you don't have to..LOL. And great times around the campfire at afterglow.

now that I definitely would want to be apart of. Group buys are always good since i buy product buy the case anyways

specialfxpyro
09-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Oh okay. Now it all makes sense. Im sorry im new to the whole pyro clubs and forums. How would I go about joining a club?

No worries.

At Thunder in the Poconos there will be board members from 2 different clubs in attendance. MAPAG and NLPC. Possibly a PA Pyros member or 2.

PyroJoeNEPA, I believe is a member of the Crackerjacks as well. MAPAG is mainly a fireworks builders club. NLPC and Crackerjacks are more focused on shows and shooting fireworks, however I believe the Crackerjacks still do some building (making fireworks).

It's not unusal to belong to more than 1 club. I can say that belonging to a club helped open the doors for me to do Close prox/indoor pyro for me also shooting for different display companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwHCnDWt3Q&t=85s

specialfxpyro
09-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Here's a little promo video I made for an event NLPC holds called The mid Atlantic Fireworks festival
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEVl8nrrLQ

NewPyro93
09-18-2020, 07:44 PM
No worries.

At Thunder in the Poconos there will be board members from 2 different clubs in attendance. MAPAG and NLPC. Possibly a PA Pyros member or 2.

PyroJoeNEPA, I believe is a member of the Crackerjacks as well. MAPAG is mainly a fireworks builders club. NLPC and Crackerjacks are more focused on shows and shooting fireworks, however I believe the Crackerjacks still do some building (making fireworks).

It's not unusal to belong to more than 1 club. I can say that belonging to a club helped open the doors for me to do Close prox/indoor pyro for me also shooting for different display companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwHCnDWt3Q&t=85s

Oh okay so next weekend I'll try to find some club members and talk to them about joining their clubs. I would love to get more involved in these clubs and events

specialfxpyro
09-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Oh okay so next weekend I'll try to find some club members and talk to them about joining their clubs. I would love to get more involved in these clubs and events

I'll be sure to introduce you to the club guys

NewPyro93
09-18-2020, 08:57 PM
I'll be sure to introduce you to the club guys

That would be awesome! I'll make sure to introduce myself.

215less
09-24-2020, 02:36 AM
Ugghhh blows I'm missing the thunder fest with celfire. Still on the ice here down south but will be home soon. Be safe and have fun.. Light some monster shells off for me and look forward to meet a few of you guys in the near future.

NewPyro93
09-24-2020, 11:14 AM
Ugghhh blows I'm missing the thunder fest with celfire. Still on the ice here down south but will be home soon. Be safe and have fun.. Light some monster shells off for me and look forward to meet a few of you guys in the near future.

There will be more events for us to attend! Just be safe out there

PyroJoeNEPA
09-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Yes, the CrackerJacks and PA Pyro Artists cubs both have some great builders in their ranks but we have been limited to one day events this last year due to the covid issue. The majority of the members in both of these clubs is "drop it & light it" compared to the builders.
We are looking forward to a "booming" season in 2021 and welcome all our pyro brothers and sisters to check out the clubs.
If you would like info on either--or both--of these clubs, drop me a PM.

NewPyro93
09-26-2020, 11:34 AM
Yes, the CrackerJacks and PA Pyro Artists cubs both have some great builders in their ranks but we have been limited to one day events this last year due to the covid issue. The majority of the members in both of these clubs is "drop it & light it" compared to the builders.
We are looking forward to a "booming" season in 2021 and welcome all our pyro brothers and sisters to check out the clubs.
If you would like info on either--or both--of these clubs, drop me a PM.

I PM'ed you PyroJoeNEPA