PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Challenges

Bitzan
09-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Friends,

Well the devil is always in the details and as I am new to the fireworks bug I am getting a chance to chat with the devil regularly!
I am about to state what most of you already know but I state it to give you the opportunity to correct me... What do I have wrong? What have I missed?

To shoot fireworks in Ohio of any kind (1.1, 1.3, 1.4) you:

Must be an Ohio licensed fireworks exhibitor
Must file for and acquire an exhibition permit
Must purchase fireworks from an Ohio licensed wholesaler, manufacturer,or out-of-state shipper
Must carry a minimum $1million insurance policy

In order to store fireworks in Ohio I must be a licensed wholesalers or manufacturer (Citizen or Exhibitor is not sufficient). This applies to both 1.3 and 1.4. Obviously 1.3 storage would require the additional ATF magazine qualifications.

Should I decide to become a licensed exhibitor I must

apply with the Bureau of Testing and Registration (T&R)
pass an exam
complete a background check
submit a letter of proficiency in the handling and discharging of fireworks from an Ohio licensed exhibitor or possess a certified copy of a fireworks license from another state.

And then I still need to buy the insurance policy

Hmmmm...

snickels
09-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Hello! I can answer all of your questions! Ohio is not an easy state. Not only do I work for American Fireworks, I also am part of a club called Northeast Ohio Pyrotechnics Group, NEOPG for short. Becoming part of the club can help with putting on personal shows and working towards obtaining the Exhibitor status. You need to participate for a couple years with the club before they will consider signing for your lead. It's the same here with American. You have to be a shooter for us for a couple years before we would sign also. Ohio will not allow you to get personal storage on any property at all for any caliber of firework. I will be in the office tomorrow 8am-5pm, please give me a phone call and I can go over the Ohio details. 330-650-1776 Thanks, Sabrina

displayfireworks1
09-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Friends,

Well the devil is always in the details and as I am new to the fireworks bug I am getting a chance to chat with the devil regularly!
I am about to state what most of you already know but I state it to give you the opportunity to correct me... What do I have wrong? What have I missed?

To shoot fireworks in Ohio of any kind (1.1, 1.3, 1.4) you:

Must be an Ohio licensed fireworks exhibitor
Must file for and acquire an exhibition permit
Must purchase fireworks from an Ohio licensed wholesaler, manufacturer,or out-of-state shipper
Must carry a minimum $1million insurance policy

In order to store fireworks in Ohio I must be a licensed wholesalers or manufacturer (Citizen or Exhibitor is not sufficient). This applies to both 1.3 and 1.4. Obviously 1.3 storage would require the additional ATF magazine qualifications.

Should I decide to become a licensed exhibitor I must

apply with the Bureau of Testing and Registration (T&R)
pass an exam
complete a background check
submit a letter of proficiency in the handling and discharging of fireworks from an Ohio licensed exhibitor or possess a certified copy of a fireworks license from another state.

And then I still need to buy the insurance policy

Hmmmm...

What type of fireworks are you looking to purchase and what is your future plan once you are able to purchase those fireworks?

Bitzan
09-03-2020, 11:31 AM
What type of fireworks are you looking to purchase and what is your future plan once you are able to purchase those fireworks?

Dave, most of my ambition comes from this website, your videos, the AP certificate course I purchased and the ATF DVD I purchased. I want to be able to purchase ALL fireworks. What do I want to do with them? Create beautiful displays for friends and family. Will I do the full bore esGrillo route? Not in the near term - budget doesn't allow it. Although his once song tribute to his brother made me emotional and Mattp's tribute to his nephew brought tears to my eyes. My niece is getting married and I would hope to be able to do the same for her. As you know I was able to put on a nice display for my Mom on her 90th birthday. You talk in you videos about "elevating the hobby" or adding a few "thunderkings" to a show. That is where my head is at now.

displayfireworks1
09-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Dave, most of my ambition comes from this website, your videos, the AP certificate course I purchased and the ATF DVD I purchased. I want to be able to purchase ALL fireworks. What do I want to do with them? Create beautiful displays for friends and family. Will I do the full bore esGrillo route? Not in the near term - budget doesn't allow it. Although his once song tribute to his brother made me emotional and Mattp's tribute to his nephew brought tears to my eyes. My niece is getting married and I would hope to be able to do the same for her. As you know I was able to put on a nice display for my Mom on her 90th birthday. You talk in you videos about "elevating the hobby" or adding a few "thunderkings" to a show. That is where my head is at now.

Start with getting ATF licensed. Shooting at a family members wedding may or may not be possible depending on the wedding venue and who owns the property etc. Adding a few Thunder-kings to your usual annual fireworks display is more likely. Join a fireworks club and as Sabrina suggested , be a part time helper on a few professional fireworks displays. You will start to network with others that have a same interest. Remember all of the state shooter certificates in United States will not allow you to purchase 1.3 fireworks. The ATF license will. I never hear someone say , now that I have my ATF license now what do I do? . Give it some thought , when you are ready then proceed.