PDA

View Full Version : Best Size Job Box for Indoor Magazine

ETnepa
09-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Im looking for some input from those that have job boxes approved for an indoor type 4 magazine. Basically Im stuck between deciding on purchasing one that is 48 inches wide versus 60 inches wide. Due to the 50lb limit storing display fireworks indoor is it worth spending the extra hundred dollars plus for more space or does 50lbs fit in the 48 inch wide job box with room leftover?

Arclight
09-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Im looking for some input from those that have job boxes approved for an indoor type 4 magazine. Basically Im stuck between deciding on purchasing one that is 48 inches wide versus 60 inches wide. Due to the 50lb limit storing display fireworks indoor is it worth spending the extra hundred dollars plus for more space or does 50lbs fit in the 48 inch wide job box with room leftover?

You're looking at NEW (net explosive weight) and not gross weight. Fireworks are bulky for weight. I would think bigger is better. If you were storing dynamite, 50lbs would be one case and you might as well get the smallest size.

farminpyro
09-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Are these job box magazines always limited to 50 pounds regardless of the size of the box? Just curious because I’ve seen some 72 inch boxes and wondered if you could store more than 50 pounds in them. My thoughts were that it wouldn’t take very many 1.3 cakes to fill one up so the bigger the better.

ETnepa
09-02-2020, 11:35 AM
I plan on storing the job box inside my shed so itll be considered an indoor magazine which is limited to the 50lb weight limit. Im planning on just buying shells for the most part to keep weight and costs lower. But I am leaning towards the 60" inch.

IndianaPH
09-02-2020, 01:53 PM
ETnepa-

I bought a 60" Ridgid box (60R-OS) and turned it into a magazine. For me, I am glad I went with the 60" over the 48". If you are only storing shells, I would think that the 48" could work for you, but if you are thinking about cakes, the extra room in the 60" would be nice. I had right at 50 pounds in mine before a show, with most of the weight being cakes, and I am glad that I had the 60" box. I would not have been able to fit it all in a 48" Ridgid box as I was barely able to fit it in the 60" box.

When it is not completely full, the larger box also allows me the ability to space out items so I don't have product stacked on top of each other causing me to have to unload the box to get something on the bottom.

Arclight
09-02-2020, 02:26 PM
When I was planning my magazines, I asked the ATF if I could place a big type II outdoor magazine inside of a shipping container to protect it better. They said yes, but they would consider it indoor at that point and the 50lb limit would apply. So I think the consider anything enclosed around the magazine to be a "building." You can make a sunshade that is open on the sides and that doesn't count.

ETnepa
09-04-2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up picking up the 60" job box and some Paclock padlocks for it today.

JoeyV.
11-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Someday if I do a magazine I’ll use a job box in a shed. Question though will fireworks be ok in a job box with no climate control? Powder doesn’t like moisture so how does it effect it??
Thx!

NewPyro93
11-03-2020, 10:19 AM
I have a ridgid 48" one already coated inside ready to go for sale if you need one. Has locks and everything