PDA

View Full Version : ATF interview

ssmith512
08-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Inspector just called me about my permit application. Phone interview is scheduled for Monday morning (8-31-20).

I'm excited!!

displayfireworks1
08-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Let us know how it goes for you as things move along.

ssmith512
08-31-2020, 04:07 PM
Interview complete! Was WAY simpler than I thought it was going to be. Took all of 15 minutes. My Inspector was super cool, very down to Earth. Went over the required record keeping, talked about my contingency storage (he is already familiar with all the distributors in my area), went over the basic regulations and he answered a few questions I had. Then I signed two forms he had previously emailed me, I emailed them back, and that was that. He said he would approve everything and forward to his superiors tomorrow morning. Gave me his contact info including cell phone number and told me to call him anytime with any questions or concerns. He literally said "we are not here to trip you up, so call me anytime you are unsure of something. We want to help you have fun."

Should see my permit in 2 to 3 weeks.

YA!!!

Whole process was a piece of cake!! Dave's DVD's and of course this forum helped take the "fear" out it.

If you are the fence about applying, dont be.

chriskrc
09-01-2020, 07:13 AM
That's awesome congrats on the 54.

displayfireworks1
09-01-2020, 07:28 AM
Sounds like it went well. Did you talk to the Inspector via phone ? With all of these virus precautions it seems like this process is moving along faster than pre-virus. Let us know the date you receive it in the mail. I'm curious how many days that will take. Once you get the physical license, email or fax and unsigned copy to the distributor so they can start a file on you to make future purchases faster and convenient. It also gives positive feedback to the distributor he has a new customer.

Mattp
09-01-2020, 09:05 AM
Congratulations!!!! Indiana ,, May have to make a trip to lynch!!! LoL

ssmith512
09-01-2020, 10:04 AM
Sounds like it went well. Did you talk to the Inspector via phone ? With all of these virus precautions it seems like this process is moving along faster than pre-virus. Let us know the date you receive it in the mail. I'm curious how many days that will take. Once you get the physical license, email or fax and unsigned copy to the distributor so they can start a file on you to make future purchases faster and convenient. It also gives positive feedback to the distributor he has a new customer.

Yes, phone interview. I was surprised at how quickly they contacted me after my check was cashed.

I too am anxious to see how quickly the "envelope" shows up!!

lostpup
09-24-2020, 05:48 AM
Yes, phone interview. I was surprised at how quickly they contacted me after my check was cashed.

I too am anxious to see how quickly the "envelope" shows up!!
How quickly is quickly? In process now and check cleared sept 21st. I'm just across the Wabash River from Terre Haute so in that neck of the woods.

lostpup
09-24-2020, 07:04 AM
How quickly is quickly? In process now and check cleared sept 21st. I'm just across the Wabash River from Terre Haute so in that neck of the woods.

I looked back threw your post and kinda got a time line. Late July cash check late August interview, 2 weeks had permit.

ssmith512
09-24-2020, 09:16 AM

Check was chased on August 24. ATF Inspector phoned me on August 27 to schedule the interview. Interview was on August 31.

Still havent received my Type 54 Permit yet. :( Inspector said it would be 2-3 weeks. It has been 3 weeks. I may email him tomorrow if it is not in the mail today, and see if he can update me.

CHI_Pyro99
09-24-2020, 09:58 AM
I’m showing my application was delivered on 21st. They charged my cc this morning. Looks like things seem to be moving fairly quickly.

lostpup
09-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Check was chased on August 24. ATF Inspector phoned me on August 27 to schedule the interview. Interview was on August 31.

Still havent received my Type 54 Permit yet. :( Inspector said it would be 2-3 weeks. It has been 3 weeks. I may email him tomorrow if it is not in the mail today, and see if he can update me.

Thank you. Very fast indeed. Keep in mind Waynes World has an open shoot day Oct 3rd.... might be a great reason for your first purchase.

ssmith512
09-24-2020, 03:03 PM
Keep in mind Waynes World has an open shoot day Oct 3rd.... might be a great reason for your first purchase.

Yes sir. Already have it marked on the calendar!! Will be taking their shooters course as well that day.

lostpup
09-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Yes sir. Already have it marked on the calendar!! Will be taking their shooters course as well that day.

Pm sent. Should be a fun day.

ssmith512
09-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Update for anyone following:

I contacted my Inspector yesterday and asked for an update on my application as it has been over 3 weeks since the interview. He responded quickly and stated my app is still at the licensing center. He guessed my background check is taking longer than normal due to my very common name. Makes sense, I went through the same thing with my CCW permit. He said he would keep checking for me. So fingers crossed it wont be TOO much longer - I wanna buy my first 1.3G product dangint!! LOL!

displayfireworks1
09-25-2020, 11:43 AM
Update for anyone following:

I contacted my Inspector yesterday and asked for an update on my application as it has been over 3 weeks since the interview. He responded quickly and stated my app is still at the licensing center. He guessed my background check is taking longer than normal due to my very common name. Makes sense, I went through the same thing with my CCW permit. He said he would keep checking for me. So fingers crossed it wont be TOO much longer - I wanna buy my first 1.3G product dangint!! LOL!
This is why I recommend adding your social security number on the application particularly if you have a common name.

Arclight
09-25-2020, 12:44 PM
There is also a backlog of RP and Employee Possessor applications, and a state background check I needed for my magazine permit took over 2 weeks when the usual is 48 hours. I've heard it's due to the massive number of gun sales right now.

displayfireworks1
09-25-2020, 12:53 PM
There is also a backlog of RP and Employee Possessor applications, and a state background check I needed for my magazine permit took over 2 weeks when the usual is 48 hours. I've heard it's due to the massive number of gun sales right now.

Great observation. I think every firearm in United States is sold out . Be fun to visit a national chain like Cabels. Just to see if the shelves are empty

Arclight
09-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Great observation. I think every firearm in United States is sold out . Be fun to visit a national chain like Cabels. Just to see if the shelves are empty

Well, Cheaper than Dirt is trying to sell 9mm ammo for $59.95/box so that says something;
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/armscor-usa-9mm-luger-ammunition-50-rounds-fmj-115-grains/FC-812285022529.html

displayfireworks1
09-25-2020, 08:44 PM
Well, Cheaper than Dirt is trying to sell 9mm ammo for $59.95/box so that says something;
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/armscor-usa-9mm-luger-ammunition-50-rounds-fmj-115-grains/FC-812285022529.html

There is huge gun show 4 x a year located just outside of Pittsburgh Pa very close to where I live. It should have been held this weekend but was cancelled due to COVID restrictions in Pennsylvania. I gauge the political climate by how many people attend this event. Back when Obama was in, I purchased a handgun one weekend at the show and the dealer could not get through on the background check website procedure. They were selling so many firearms that weekend the system could not keep up. There was a 22 ammo shortage also I remember. Sounds like we are heading back to that same thing again.
On a side note , to better educate ourselves as pyro enthusiast. We should know the exact procedure and or method the ATF uses to run background checks on all of us. If anyone out there has some expertise in this area, please post what you know.

Crush630
09-26-2020, 02:31 PM
There is huge gun show 4 x a year located just outside of Pittsburgh Pa very close to where I live. It should have been held this weekend but was cancelled due to COVID restrictions in Pennsylvania. I gauge the political climate by how many people attend this event. Back when Obama was in, I purchased a handgun one weekend at the show and the dealer could not get through on the background check website procedure. They were selling so many firearms that weekend the system could not keep up. There was a 22 ammo shortage also I remember. Sounds like we are heading back to that same thing again.
On a side note , to better educate ourselves as pyro enthusiast. We should know the exact procedure and or method the ATF uses to run background checks on all of us. If anyone out there has some expertise in this area, please post what you know.

I know how they run background checks, I can shed some insight just PM me.

ssmith512
10-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Well, it's been 6 weeks since my phone interview (which went very well), and still no envelope. My background is squeaky clean, so not sure what the delay is all about. Was kinda hoping to "celebrate" Halloween with a few "scary (LOL!!)" 1.3 items. :(

lostpup
10-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Well, it's been 6 weeks since my phone interview (which went very well), and still no envelope. My background is squeaky clean, so not sure what the delay is all about. Was kinda hoping to "celebrate" Halloween with a few "scary (LOL!!)" 1.3 items. :(

Have you checked back in with the investigator? I personally do not feel that every 2 weeks or so at this point is excessive. But I also am in limbo and chomping with you. Mine mentioned 30 days to check back. So I'm honoring that then trying to move it along.

BMoore
10-13-2020, 05:21 PM

My original took about that long and turned out it was approved but never got mailed. They ended up processing it over the phone and sent me an e-mail with a signed letter that I could use as a temporary license. So, it doesn't hurt to follow up since things can fall through the cracks or even just get lost in the mail. Just don't harass them every other day. Having said all that it doesn't surprise me that background checks are holding things up. With everybody and their grandmother buying a gun this year the system is definitely being stretched to its limits.

ssmith512
10-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Ya, I'll prolly wait another week and then touch base with my Inspector. Like you said, I dont want to bother them, I am in no rush to get it. You are prolly right, they are prolly pretty slammed with firearm checks.

Just would like to have it so I can sit and stare at and savor in my newly acquired, and Federally approved, awesomeness! LOL!!

displayfireworks1
10-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Ya, I'll prolly wait another week and then touch base with my Inspector. Like you said, I dont want to bother them, I am in no rush to get it. You are prolly right, they are prolly pretty slammed with firearm checks.

Just would like to have it so I can sit and stare at and savor in my newly acquired, and Federally approved, awesomeness! LOL!!

If you do not receive the license by the date you need to purchase some 1.3 fireworks, the ATF can give you the license numbers via email to make a purchase. If you are good so to speak and just caught up in a overwhelmed system at the moment getting the paper license to you, that is an option. Let us know when you do receive the license.

ssmith512
10-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Reached out to my inspector. My application is still in processing at the Licensing Center in West Virginia. I guess the good news is that "still processing" is far better than "DENIED!",....LOL!

Interview as 7 weeks ago today.

lostpup
10-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Reached out to my inspector. My application is still in processing at the Licensing Center in West Virginia. I guess the good news is that "still processing" is far better than "DENIED!",....LOL!

Interview as 7 weeks ago today.

Hope they get this straightened up soon.

ssmith512
10-28-2020, 12:30 PM
AND it arrived!!!

8 weeks and 1 day after my phone interview.

I feel all kinda special now! LOL!

I think my first purchase will be a case of the infamous 25 shot Thunder Kings. might as well make some noise to celebrate the occasion, right?!?!?!

JoeyV.
10-28-2020, 12:46 PM
My interview in person is Monday. I sent in my paperwork 2 weeks ago! I‘m in Pittsburgh pa

lostpup
10-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Congratulations Steve