PDA

View Full Version : extension poles for Flare

lostpup
08-25-2020, 10:45 PM
I've tried searching a couple of these forums and have not had any luck. Does anyone have a parts list or DIY on how to make an extension handle for the road flares for hand lighting ?

joewad
08-25-2020, 11:28 PM
I buy 2 foot planks of would from Lowes, in my store it's over by the rebar, looks like fencing pieces. Get some decent ducktape, $5-6 per roll and wrap the end of flare to the wood until solid. Your flare should show where the flare actually ends. I then wrap the end where my hand much like I did when wrapping the end of my baseball bats as a kid. It's like a 1 x 2 inch in dimension piece of wood and is pointed upon one end which makes it easier to place in ground while waiting. I saw someone get fancier in one (1) of David's Collier Club videos but the way I look at it, it only has to safely function once then pitch it.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-26-2020, 09:22 AM
A couple years ago I saw a video of someone that used a piece of metal conduit with a bicycle handlebar grip on one end and a conduit coupling [collar with 2 screws] on the other end. Sorry I can't be more specific as to what you need exactly---I'm an efire guy!

topshelfpyro
08-26-2020, 10:28 AM
What's wrong with a broom handle and duck tape?

jknepp1954
08-26-2020, 02:12 PM
What's wrong with a broom handle and duck tape?
you beat me to it - use it all the time!

lostpup
08-26-2020, 09:51 PM
A couple years ago I saw a video of someone that used a piece of metal conduit with a bicycle handlebar grip on one end and a conduit coupling [collar with 2 screws] on the other end. Sorry I can't be more specific as to what you need exactly---I'm an efire guy!

This is what I'm looking for.

lostpup
08-26-2020, 09:54 PM
the video I've seen and if not mistake Dave even commented on how nice it was on that video. Had conduit and a compression fitting over flare. Looked pretty simple to make and very secure.

topshelfpyro
08-27-2020, 12:56 AM
This is what I'm looking for.

Go to home depot or an electrical supply house they should have everything you need to duplicate

Salutecake
08-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Personally I would look at an old broom stick buy a heavy dowel rod and tape it. Metal might get hot and plastic might melt, 2 things I know I would not want to touch when hot.