PDA

View Full Version : Type 54

Jaredreldridge
08-14-2020, 10:09 PM
I?ve been following Dave?s videos for a few years and this year decided to pull the trigger on getting my type 54. The application is going into the mail tomorrow. Does anyone have any info as to how long until you hear anything from ATF once you mail the application in. Thanks

displayfireworks1
08-15-2020, 09:05 AM
The ATF is not like Amazon Prime 2 day shipping LOL. They work on their own schedule. Sometimes fast and sometime slow. Sometimes they call and make an appointment to see you, other times they just show up at your door and knock. Once the check is cashed be ready. Answer all phone calls even if ID says something weird, check your email frequently throughout the day and if someone knocks answer the door. If they just show up on you, they are going to show up at the times you listed as "Open" on the application. The chances of them just showing up is usually based on the distance between your home and the regional ATF office. In other word they are not going to drive 2 hours and just knock on your door, they may drive 45 minutes to knock without calling

Jaredreldridge
08-15-2020, 10:09 AM
I know it’s a slow process just wondering if I’ve got the application submitted soon enough for a potential 1.3 purchase for a New Year’s Eve show

PyroJoeNEPA
08-15-2020, 01:44 PM
I know it’s a slow process just wondering if I’ve got the application submitted soon enough for a potential 1.3 purchase for a New Year’s Eve show

If all your ducks are in a row with your application & you do not have any background check issues, that would be a more than adequate time frame for everything to fall into place.

Jaredreldridge
08-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Thanks. I’ve double and triple checked my forms and everything so I don’t think I’ll have any issues hopefully

ssmith512
08-15-2020, 04:14 PM
I mailed my application and $100 check July 24 from Indianapolis. Check still has not been cashed. Sooo, whatever that is worth.

Arclight
08-15-2020, 09:43 PM
I mailed my application and $100 check July 24 from Indianapolis. Check still has not been cashed. Sooo, whatever that is worth.

Don't forget that the mailing address for applications changed last year. They may well forward to the correct one, but old versions of the forms still have it:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/new-mailing-addresses-many-atf-registration-forms

ssmith512
08-16-2020, 07:53 AM
Don't forget that the mailing address for applications changed last year. They may well forward to the correct one, but old versions of the forms still have it:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/new-mailing-addresses-many-atf-registration-forms

Yep, it was mailed to the new, current address. Thanks.

displayfireworks1
08-16-2020, 08:30 AM
All the applications in my ATF/DVD package have the new Portland Oregon address. When they made the move , part of that move was to forward everything sent to the old address for one year. Not sure exactly when that move and one year started. I would like to know what stimulates these moves. This is at least the third move I know of in 10 years. If I remember correctly it went from Texas to Georgia and now Oregon. I believe the usual progression of the application is from the Oregon clearing house to the West Virginia location and then to the regional state office near your location for assignment. Word I'm getting from applicants is with the COVID threat many Inspectors are interviewing by phone. The location visit still has to eventually completed in the future. This is good thing for us because the process is moving faster.
They have 90 days to complete the process. Under this new computerized system , I getting reports the ATF Inspectors software has a "Shot Clock" LOL It slowly ticks away that 90 day period.

Arclight
08-16-2020, 12:11 PM
I was told that the address they list is actually a bank that is contracted to process the payments and then forward the papers. I think they send it out to bid every few years.

Pgdark19
08-17-2020, 10:05 AM
I don't remember the exact date I submitted my paperwork but it was after July 4th. I received a call from the ATF agent last week. I have my interview scheduled next week. So for me, it was only a month from mailing to getting the call

FireInTheSky
08-18-2020, 02:13 PM
I don't remember the exact date I submitted my paperwork but it was after July 4th. I received a call from the ATF agent last week. I have my interview scheduled next week. So for me, it was only a month from mailing to getting the call

Strange I sent mine on july 7th and still nothing

Jaredreldridge
08-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Just a quick update. They charged my card today so things seem to be moving along at a decent pace. Just gotta wait in that call now

FireInTheSky
08-25-2020, 06:57 PM

That might be the reason mine has been taking so long. I checked today and mine was mailed to the old address. Hmmmm wonder if theyll forward it. although it was mailed on the 7th of july you would think it would have been forwarded by now.

displayfireworks1
08-27-2020, 07:48 PM
That might be the reason mine has been taking so long. I checked today and mine was mailed to the old address. Hmmmm wonder if theyll forward it. although it was mailed on the 7th of july you would think it would have been forwarded by now.

If you mailed it to the old address and the forwarding has expired , it will eventually make it way back to you , that is if you placed a return address on it. Now with news of all the mail slow downs, my guess is return to sender mail is very low priority and will take longer than usual

FireInTheSky
08-30-2020, 06:36 PM
If you mailed it to the old address and the forwarding has expired , it will eventually make it way back to you , that is if you placed a return address on it. Now with news of all the mail slow downs, my guess is return to sender mail is very low priority and will take longer than usual

I did accidentally mail it to the wrong place as the display company i was working with wasnt aware of the address change. I followed your link to the new address and it states as of feb 9 2020 the new address goes to Portland Oregon. It also says mail will only be forwarded for 90 days after that date after that no mail will be forwarded. I called and talked to the atf and they said i wasnt even in the system and should have been by now. They told me to re submit the entire application. That was a bummer as i been anxiously waiting for my license. I should be receiving the new forms tomorrow hopefully so i can get this process rolling once again. I guess this gives me more time to hunt out that land for my own magazine.

Arclight
08-31-2020, 04:13 PM
If there is ranching, farm land, etc. or just a place with big lots for equipment and such on the edge of town then I am sure you can get it done. You could build a metal-faced magazine in your backyard and rent a U-haul to move it to the location. Just make sure you get a place that is ideally staffed or has someone living there who can put eyeballs on your magazine every 7 days if you aren't able to get by.

FireInTheSky
08-31-2020, 08:52 PM
If there is ranching, farm land, etc. or just a place with big lots for equipment and such on the edge of town then I am sure you can get it done. You could build a metal-faced magazine in your backyard and rent a U-haul to move it to the location. Just make sure you get a place that is ideally staffed or has someone living there who can put eyeballs on your magazine every 7 days if you aren't able to get by.

There is plenty of farmland here its just asking someone if theyd consider letting you put a magazine containing explosives on there land. Most don't understand what a magazine is.

Arclight
09-01-2020, 12:55 AM
I'll bet there's someone who would do it for $300-500/year or a free yearly show on property. Also, say "Professional Fireworks" instead of explosives and try to get a friend-of-a-friend intro to someone.

Arclight
09-01-2020, 01:01 AM
I'll bet there's someone who would do it for $300-500/year or a free yearly show on property. Also, say "Professional Fireworks" instead of explosives and try to get a friend-of-a-friend intro to someone.

FireInTheSky
09-01-2020, 07:14 PM

Good idea on the Professional Fireworks. My friend has two friends and a brother that have 10 plus acres. Hopefully out of one of them something will happen. Haven't heard nothing back yet. This is a must have for me as both 1.3 display companies are 2 hours away and im the type that wants them accessible at will.

Jaredreldridge
09-15-2020, 08:20 PM
I got the call today and set up a phone interview for
This Friday. This virus is speeding things up it
Seems

Jaredreldridge
09-21-2020, 11:08 AM
Interview Friday went smooth took about
40 minutes. Was told I should receive my license in about 10 days

ssmith512
09-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Interview Friday went smooth took about
40 minutes. Was told I should receive my license in about 10 days

Sweet!

My interview was 21 days ago. Still havent received my "envelope" in the mail yet. :(

Jaredreldridge
09-28-2020, 05:12 PM
The “white envelope” came today. Total
Time from mailing in my application to receiving my
License was just over a month

ssmith512
09-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Grats!! Go light up the sky! Still patiently waiting for my envelope to arrive.

displayfireworks1
09-29-2020, 07:45 AM
The “white envelope” came today. Total
Time from mailing in my application to receiving my
License was just over a month

Congratulations on receiving the ATF license. Always nice to hear when applicants officially advance to that next step.