PDA

View Full Version : Where are the rioters getting their 1.3?

RalphieJ
07-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Some of the shells thrown are obviously 1.3........today I watched a video from Portland and saw a huge variegated break with a bottom salute shot thrown at the police. Who is selling 1.3 fireworks to these people?

joewad
07-30-2020, 11:34 PM
Personally, I thought most appeared to be consumer 60 gram canisters but I'm sure there are a few smaller 1.3 shells.

Robbro097
07-31-2020, 12:07 AM
Most of what i saw looked like cans but i did see some ti salutes prib not a homemade cracker because iv never heard of some1 adding titanium to a cracker. I hate seeing fireworks being used like that

215less
07-31-2020, 01:38 AM
Most of what i saw looked like cans but i did see some ti salutes prib not a homemade cracker because iv never heard of some1 adding titanium to a cracker. I hate seeing fireworks being used like that

I 2nd too, Ughhhhhh.....

cptnding
07-31-2020, 01:43 AM
Some of the shells thrown are obviously 1.3........today I watched a video from Portland and saw a huge variegated break with a bottom salute shot thrown at the police. Who is selling 1.3 fireworks to these people?

RalphieJ, I haven't seen video (post a link if you can) that but it sounds like what you are describing is a bootleg 1.4 "peanut" shell. Simple double break ball shell but over loaded. Apparently they are fairly common in urban areas these days. Just watch some youtube videos.

cptnding
07-31-2020, 01:58 AM
I hate seeing fireworks being used like that

Yeah me too. All the videos on the news with fireworks being thrown during these peaceful protests are definitely not going to help with regulation. Things have settled down a bit in Atlanta but there was lots of news footage in the past weeks of protesters throwing shells and shooting candles at the police. And that's a great way to convince the state to fast track a law change.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-31-2020, 07:31 AM
I saw an article yesterday of FBI info that showed two 1.4g ball shells with nails stuck in them from Portland.that were found after the "peaceful protest"... Fortunately, these "perps" aren't too smart. They need to be locked up for a LONG time!!!

Birdman
07-31-2020, 10:35 AM
Yeah me too. All the videos on the news with fireworks being thrown during these peaceful protests are definitely not going to help with regulation. Things have settled down a bit in Atlanta but there was lots of news footage in the past weeks of protesters throwing shells and shooting candles at the police. And that's a great way to convince the state to fast track a law change.

Once a firework is used during a protest it is no longer considered peaceful or a legal assembly. It gives the police a reason to arrest and use force to break up the gathering. It's totally counterproductive. Not only that but do these morons realize that using a firework this way is just as illegal as using any other deadly weapon and the consequences just as dire? I seriously doubt any of them are interested in the cause. They just want to see themselves on TV and in social media. I'd like to see them in prison. I also wouldn't doubt if some know it's counterproductive and that is why they are doing it. There's always more than two sides in these situations.

Salutecake
07-31-2020, 12:11 PM
Stick to looting.

Robbro097
07-31-2020, 12:14 PM
I saw an article yesterday of FBI info that showed two 1.4g ball shells with nails stuck in them from Portland.that were found after the "peaceful protest"... Fortunately, these "perps" aren't too smart. They need to be locked up for a LONG time!!!

Absolutely need to b locked up long time but they do this crap in cities with no political appetite to prosecute the "summer of love" peaceful protesters im sure feds will get some at least. Fireworks on there own used that way is bad enough but sticking nails in them is just crazy, ihadnt seen that but after seeing what there doing to ppl doeant surprise me at all.

displayfireworks1
07-31-2020, 07:43 PM
Here is the artillery shell with nails. Notice the lift was removed on one of the shells. Maybe both , not sure about that second one.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5225&stc=1

Arclight
07-31-2020, 08:27 PM
Once a firework is used during a protest it is no longer considered peaceful or a legal assembly. It gives the police a reason to arrest and use force to break up the gathering. It's totally counterproductive. Not onuly that but do these morons realize that using a firework this way is just as illegal as using any other deadly weapon and the consequences just as dire? I seriously doubt any of them are interested in the cause. They just want to see themselves on TV and in social media. I'd like to see them in prison. I also wouldn't doubt if some know it's counterproductive and that is why they are doing it. There's always more than two sides in these situations.

This sounds a lot like gun laws, where things like pellet guns are legally considered "firearms" if they are used in a crime like assault or robbery. I don't think a judge is going to buy their inevitable argument that they were "just expressing themselves with legal fireworks." When you use something that is otherwise legal to hurt people, it's likely that you will be charged with a serious crime like "bombing" or "assault with a deadly weapon."

Robbro097
07-31-2020, 11:06 PM
Seeing that ball shell really ticks me off thinking about all the time spent every year building racks and hammering in stakes to make sure everything is done safe people are out there doing this kind of BS

PGH_Pyro
08-04-2020, 02:12 PM
the videos i've seen show people throwing home-made flash bangers.
and 60 gram can shells.

NewPyro93
09-18-2020, 05:02 PM
This is the reason so many states are hesitant about legalizing fireworks. It also ruins it for the rest of us who actually use fireworks safely...

gnavarr
09-20-2020, 12:15 PM
This is the reason so many states are hesitant about legalizing fireworks. It also ruins it for the rest of us who actually use fireworks safely...

Making them illegal makes little difference. Case in point; this thread and the thousands of videos from states all over the country where the legality makes no difference to people during the holidays.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Making them illegal makes little difference. Case in point; this thread and the thousands of videos from states all over the country where the legality makes no difference to people during the holidays.

I agree with you 100%. If someone wants fireworks they will get them. There's no stopping someone from it. It doesn't make sense to not make them legal since everyone is going to get them one way or another. Might as well make them legal so us law abiding hobbyists can enjoy them legally....

gnavarr
09-20-2020, 01:35 PM
I agree with you 100%. If someone wants fireworks they will get them. There's no stopping someone from it. It doesn't make sense to not make them legal since everyone is going to get them one way or another. Might as well make them legal so us law abiding hobbyists can enjoy them legally....

It's honestly the states' loss as far as revenue goes for sure.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 01:54 PM
It's honestly the states' loss as far as revenue goes for sure.

Absolutely! They're losing so much money its ridiculous... when I go to Pennsylvania to buy my 1.4 consumer fireworks they charge a 12% tax i think. Not 100% sure but I know its far up there. Spend 800$ on fireworks and its another 200$ in tax. Its crazy

PyroJoeNEPA
09-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Absolutely! They're losing so much money its ridiculous... when I go to Pennsylvania to buy my 1.4 consumer fireworks they charge a 12% tax i think. Not 100% sure but I know its far up there. Spend 800$ on fireworks and its another 200$ in tax. Its crazy
That 12% "pyro tak" is in addition to the State 6% sales tax--so we are paying 18%.

NewPyro93
09-20-2020, 07:15 PM
That 12% "pyro tak" is in addition to the State 6% sales tax--so we are paying 18%.

I knew it was somewhere up there close to 20%. Thanks for giving the exact number

specialfxpyro
09-20-2020, 11:16 PM
I've watched hours and hours of riot video and have yet to see any 1.3 being used. The media is full of sht 99.99% of the time so don't take reports of 1.3 serious unless you see video.

1.4 Canister shells seems to be the pyro of choice for the scumbags

Engineer Cat
10-21-2020, 03:56 AM
I knew it was somewhere up there close to 20%. Thanks for giving the exact number

I'm more than happy to pay the tax when I go to PA. I just wait for 30% off coupons like I did for Labor Day. Offsets the tax and then some.

I've watched hours and hours of riot video and have yet to see any 1.3 being used. The media is full of sht 99.99% of the time so don't take reports of 1.3 serious unless you see video.

1.4 Canister shells seems to be the pyro of choice for the scumbags

The media doesn't know the difference between 1.3 and 1.4. No one is going to learn about fireworks from the media. This really burns me up (no pun intended). The information we share has a lot to do with safety and the safety of our spectators and these scumbags are using spiked shells to try an hurt the police. There are two different people protesting. Those that are exercising their rights to protest, and anarchists' just trying to hurt the cops. I don't wish hurt on anyone but it might teach those clowns a lesson to accidently ignite a ball shell with friction while they are sticking nails into it. I mean jesus christ, we don't cut fuse with a scissor because it's not safe and these idiots are sticking nails in shells and then throwing them at cops! REALLY!

I just can't wrap my head around how stupid these people are.

Crush630
10-21-2020, 09:29 AM
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/6/26/21304379/christian-rea-naperville-looting-firework-charges

Feds charge Aurora man with throwing firework that set off looting at Naperville protest

Arclight
10-29-2020, 01:42 AM
So this happened. Can anyone ID those red sticks?

https://6abc.com/van-loaded-with-explosives-found-in-philadelphia/7433377

Arclight
10-29-2020, 01:55 AM

specialfxpyro
10-29-2020, 02:18 AM
There are two different people protesting. Those that are exercising their rights to protest, and anarchists' just trying to hurt the cops.

Funny how the protesters "exercising their rights to protest" appear during election years.

specialfxpyro
10-29-2020, 02:22 AM

Not "possible Dynamite" with those red plastic end plugs. They look like shitty homemade 1/4 sticks to me.

specialfxpyro
10-29-2020, 02:29 AM

After watching the broadcast I'd say torches and explosives were meant for use by the ATM bombers. Philly had 10 ATM's bombed in the last few days. The 1st night there were several ATM's bombed in different locations almost at the same time. Criminal gangs have decided to target ATM's without success so far.

Robbro097
10-29-2020, 03:00 PM
After watching the broadcast I'd say torches and explosives were meant for use by the ATM bombers. Philly had 10 ATM's bombed in the last few days. The 1st night there were several ATM's bombed in different locations almost at the same time. Criminal gangs have decided to target ATM's without success so far.

I thought they were torches too at 1st but i took a screen shot from vid and zoomed it and they appear to have visco fuse i think theyr prob some big plastic cap boomers sum1 made 5303

specialfxpyro
10-29-2020, 03:40 PM
I thought they were torches too at 1st but i took a screen shot from vid and zoomed it and they appear to have visco fuse i think theyr prob some big plastic cap boomers sum1 made 5303

Torches, propane tanks and explosives. I'm not calling the homemade 1/2 sticks torches. Read the article above.

Then read this article and you'll see my guess that the explosives and torches were most likely to be used to break in to ATM's

https://6abc.com/more-atms-septa-kiosk-blown-up-in-philadelphia/7450355/

Democrats

https://6abc.com/philly-city-council-passes-ban-on-less-than-lethal-force-against-protesters/7454296/

specialfxpyro
10-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Update
https://6abc.com/atm-explosions-in-philly-linked-to-homemade-devices/7450355/

displayfireworks1
10-29-2020, 07:44 PM
Anyone out there in the fireworks related business selling red tubes and caps , get ready for some phone calls.
Why blow them up. Just load the ATM on the bus and take it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQDkpsZxco

Arclight
10-29-2020, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I can tell you that you would have a bit of a time getting into the safe even with high explosives. I believe those are made of heavy plate steel and/or a high-tech composite that is very tough if it's rated for cash. It would need to be a well-crafted shaped charge. Blowing the crap out of the unit so that it is wrecked seems like all they are accomplishing.

For comparison, here is what some real 1.1D product (det cord and a ~1 pound stick of emulsion) can do to a cheap Sentry fire safe. These things are basically gypsum and thin metal, so it's pretty easy to destroy:

specialfxpyro
10-30-2020, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I can tell you that you would have a bit of a time getting into the safe even with high explosives. I believe those are made of heavy plate steel and/or a high-tech composite that is very tough if it's rated for cash. It would need to be a well-crafted shaped charge. Blowing the crap out of the unit so that it is wrecked seems like all they are accomplishing.

For comparison, here is what some real 1.1D product (det cord and a ~1 pound stick of emulsion) can do to a cheap Sentry fire safe. These things are basically gypsum and thin metal, so it's pretty easy to destroy:

I believe they are designed so that you can't use strong enough explosives to get in, without destroying the content$$$$$$

Which is why they had torches. Just to stupid to know a propane flame torch wouldn't help them either. Maybe if they had a plasma cutter, but a propane torch. Buhahahaha