PDA

View Full Version : Recent cost of consumer fireworks

Pyrosaat
07-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Not sure if the effect has been seen around the country but definitely in the Northeast, the cost of consumer fireworks has skyrocketed. I heard it's because retailers who ran out of product after the 4th restocked shelves from product stored in US warehouses versus getting it directly from China. This was the quickest option to get product back in the store.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this in other parts. Hope prices go back to normal for next year!

Fulliautomatix
07-29-2020, 11:56 AM
Seems like a relatively simple supply & demand issue. Even before COVID there were issues with production in China which impacted the supply side of the equation, and again with COVID the number of municipalities cancelling public shows skewed the demand of consumer fireworks upward. A perfect storm of conditions to drive prices up. The way prices will come down is if China gets its production issues ironed out, and some semblance of normalcy is regained with regards to COVID. Not sure if either of those are realistic in the immediate future.

I've seen it in the ammunition markets too. When supply dries up, and demand spikes, sellers will increase pricing because they will have to pay more to replace their stock, and buyers are willing to pay more to get the product. Only once demand settles down, and sellers are anxious to move stock out of their warehouses will prices start start to decline to 'normal' levels.

Chubbles
07-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Many states were locked down until just before the 4th. A retailer told me they lost a ton of money because they couldn't sell. I'm not sure that makes complete sense.

caleb90
07-30-2020, 08:27 AM
i picked up fireworks for the first time since 2016 this year. the prices were higher but nothing out of the norm for yearly cost increases. then a week or two ago i hit a place up have sales and got a case of 6 xcal's for 200 and a few other items that were all bogo. mind you these are local "mah n pop" shops. Phantom fireworks opened a small shop this year in town, stopped to check it out. was in there 5 minutes. there prices were double all the local places that have been around forever. even with phantoms after the 4th sale every thing 50% off, they are still higher priced on most things than the local shops. in all i guess it depends where you shop and how much inventory they have. the real question is what about next year this all this crap going on? thats why i bought next years show this year..

caleb90
07-30-2020, 08:47 AM
also depends on competition, their are 5 shops with a 20 mile radius of my house.