PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 Storage

ssmith512
07-28-2020, 12:50 PM
I have a question that I have been unable to find the answer to online or in the Orange Book. It is regarding storage of 1.3 product. I just recently mailed in my BATFE application and this question is one I want to ask the Inspector during my interview, but was wondering if anyone here had any directly knowledge on the subject.

I am unable to find anywhere in the Orange Book or other places (NFPA 1123 or other), any specific language relating to the amount of time 1.3 product can be out of storage. For example: I remove product from the magazine or contingency storage on a Friday late afternoon, as access to the magazine may not be available on Saturday. The product is in my possession overnight, then delivered to and setup at the shoot site Saturday morning and used Saturday evening.

Is that scenario something that the BATFE would find acceptable? I just cant find any language like "product removed from magazine storage must be used or returned to magazine storage within "X" hours." that provides me with the info I am looking for.

Any help educating this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Crush630
07-28-2020, 01:28 PM
those answers are all in the orange book.

displayfireworks1
07-28-2020, 08:47 PM
I'll give you the answer to that question. The answer is, no matter how long it is out of that magazine, someone needs to be awake and looking at it and/or be near it and awake . You can stop looking at it after it goes off on the air. The ATF does not care you are inconvenienced because someone is not available on a Saturday. It not a measurement of time , its a measurement of security and storage of the product. There are professional displays that take days to build and are out of the magazine. When the crew goes home, someone stands guard of the shoot site that has a partially built display. Did you see my video where I had two displays on the truck? I paid someone to watch that truck all night and ran it all past the local police to keep and eye on the product and to keep an eye on the man I paid to watch it.
Having a CDL with a Hazmat Endorsement helps you understand these events and test your trouble shooting skills.

BMoore
07-29-2020, 09:19 AM
I had this exact same question when pursuing my type 54. Everyone talks about the "24-Hour Rule" or "Same Day Rule" but the reality is there is no such thing. What it boils down to is that 1.3 fireworks exist in three states of use which are 1) In approved storage, 2) In Transport or 3) In Process (Being Setup or Shot). If you aren't actively engaged in #2 or #3 they are to be in storage. The scenario described would not be allowed because once you got the product home on Friday night you aren't doing 1, 2 or 3 until Saturday morning so you find yourself in an illegal situation. Now what you could do is take the product straight to the shoot site Friday night and keep in it process Friday night until shoot time on Saturday. But as Dave said that's going to entail camping out and having someone awake and in view of the product at all times. For all practical purposes you remove them from storage, drive them to the shoot site, set them up and shoot them. No timekeeping involved.

ssmith512
07-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Thank you Dave and BMoore for the clear and concise answer. Exactly what I was looking for.

displayfireworks1
07-29-2020, 07:57 PM
This is what I mean in my post when I say I spent a lot of time clearing up misconceptions about the ATF licence