PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Bill to ban Consumer Fireworks

FinnAmerican
07-25-2020, 05:01 PM
Michigan Bill to ban several types of consumer Fireworks.
https://www.wzzm13.com/amp/article/news/local/michigan/like-a-war-zone-bill-would-make-many-consumer-fireworks-illegal-in-michigan/69-64fd6d83-f0b6-4c57-b891-89e5b5e1c2f3

Amaturepyro
07-25-2020, 07:17 PM
That’s such bullshit IMO. The idea is to make consumer fireworks legal in every state across the USA
Not go the opposite direction. That’s like ct. only fountains and sparklers are legal here. But we have tried and pushed two bills to legalize consumer fireworks and both times, last two years were shot down and didn’t advance cause of the police and local fire chiefs and the other politicians shot it down. I wouldn’t care if they taxed the shit out of them. As long as there made legal.

jamisonlm3
07-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Banning them will make them go away. No way people would ignore the law.

gnavarr
07-26-2020, 03:21 PM
"People don't follow the laws on times and dates for fireworks use, so we're going to have laws that prohibit them entirely because people follow the laws."

Hilarious.

TheClevelandPyro
07-26-2020, 03:38 PM
This is terrible news.

Ohio recently passed a fireworks bill through the house and now we're waiting for it to go through the senate. Fingers crossed. ��

FinnAmerican
07-26-2020, 07:56 PM
The public will go guerrilla (Shoot, Run, Hide). Including me..!

JoSlicknuts
07-26-2020, 08:23 PM
The guy from Phantom is wrong. A lot of people found out how fun it is to light fireworks this year due to covid. I think the "more backyard shows, less attendance at pro shows" is a trend that will continue to grow. Actually, I think the Phantom guy knows that and is licking his chops.

chriskrc
07-27-2020, 07:19 AM
Man that would really suck. We are having the same issue in NY there's talk of a full ban again. Banning them doesn't mean the backyard fireworks shows will ever stop.

Rocketshooter
07-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Haters gonna hate.

FWGuy
07-27-2020, 03:02 PM
State is going in the wrong direction. Consumer firework retailers and wholesalers had a record busting year...most inventory cleaned out...so obviously that means a record number of fireworks were shot off in legal and non legal states nationwide so people noticed and am sure complaints were up as well.

rfgonzo
07-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Since cities cancelled firework shows this year we had a bunch of people that normally wouldn't shoot fireworks buying them. Most of these people don't pay attention to shooting times and hours. This it why the state is looking to ban. I for one love fireworks but not at 2 a.m. on a Wednesday night when I need to work in the morning and that's what was happening. I told my wife we will be lucky if we can shoot legally next year with all the yahoos shooting off fireworks every night for 2 months leading up to the 4th. On the plus side there was a lot less injuries then I anticipated.

Mississippipyro
07-27-2020, 11:22 PM
Since cities cancelled firework shows this year we had a bunch of people that normally wouldn't shoot fireworks buying them. Most of these people don't pay attention to shooting times and hours. This it why the state is looking to ban. I for one love fireworks but not at 2 a.m. on a Wednesday night when I need to work in the morning and that's what was happening. I told my wife we will be lucky if we can shoot legally next year with all the yahoos shooting off fireworks every night for 2 months leading up to the 4th. On the plus side there was a lot less injuries then I anticipated.

This combined with the use of consumer fireworks at riots for the last two months, we will be lucky if it’s legal anyplace in in the country five years from now.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-31-2020, 06:25 AM
Miss - You just made the point I was concerned about. With all these fools using consumer fireworks to burn down buildings and terrorize police, it wouldn't surprise me if more towns and states implement fireworks bans. They're certainly not doing our hobby any favors.

This year was the first year since I moved to Florida in 1996 that I actually shot a legal July 4th show. I hope it's not my last!

Salutecake
07-31-2020, 12:07 PM
It's all for your safety!!! The gov needs to take care of you, your to reckless and you can't take care of yourself, you might hurt yourself. Your putting the Police and First
Responders at risk, too much noise, I can't sleep, the children, my dog.

patsy
07-31-2020, 01:01 PM
The local government always seems to have difficulties when trying to make final decissions regarding laws pertaining to consumer fireworks. It has always been a love hate relationship. Everyone on both sides of the spectrum have used consumer fireworks. People including law enforcement and governing agents have lit some type of comsumer firework on the 4th or holiday at one time in there lives. Unfortunately these are bad times we are going through between the nagging virus and violent protests. Even though that consumer fireworks sales have hit an all time high lots of consumer fireworks activity have been taking place but certain people are ruining it not being considerate with the obscure times in which they are shooting off fireworks and or following simple safety tips. This is causing people to now complain and the residents who normally dont complain are being vocal about it. So the easiet thing our local goverment can do is to ban. In my honest opinion this is not fair for the majority of us who really are considerate and take the right measures safety and otherwise. Like I said before the local governing bodies should sit down with consumer fireworks retail bussiness owners to provide a fool proof plan and create new rules and laws to end these riduculous loop holes and actually help the firework retailers and consumers alike. There are always a good and bad side to everything and passing a ban is not the answer and really does not work regardless of the situation.

Salutecake
07-31-2020, 02:52 PM
Before PA legalize consumer fireworks, there were some towns that allowed you to purchase a permit to shoot off consumer fireworks. I think they would charge 10 bucks. Some other towns way up in the NE part didn't issue permits but for the major holidays, towns that had the room would open up little league ball parks or parks or just designated places and times people could shoot them off. Years and years ago in South Carolina, I had a friend that lived in Sumter and I think then you could buy fireworks but only shoot them off in and around the major holidays.

Also in PA, being legal, complaints are still abound, and many cities are looking towards the State to allow them to make up their own rules, including banning. One problem is that cities receive part of the 18% sales tax on fireworks and I'm not sure if they don't accept the State's terms they get there portion of tax revenue.

So Patsy you are right - there are ways to bridge the gaps. Making a law to ban them is just making a law to break. For years in PA we had a lot of consumer fireworks stores and they were allowed to sell to out of state people. So who bought them all, people in surrounding states that consumer fireworks were illegal in. It's not going to stop, maybe slow down next year, but not stop.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Don't confused a legislature introducing a Bill to it actually going anywhere. I went to high school with a man that became a State of Pennsylvania legislature. He told me these guys will hold a press conference and say"Today I am announcing that I am introducing legislation that will " ( whatever they think will appease will local constituents ) The local voters hear this and think that means the law has just changed because this dude announced it at a press conference. All he did was "Introduce" it. It can literally bounce around in limbo for years and nothing ever happens. Now the news picks up on this and plays it on the news and people in favor of it think it is going to happen next week ( because they said it on the news). It makes the local legislature look popular and makes it look like he is doing something.
This same type of misinterpreted communications happens with the ATF when you start asking them questions , they say on thing and your mind interprets it to mean something else. Then this misinterpreted information is professed to be the truth when told to someone else. They will say "That is what the ATF told me" and if you ask the ATF person , did you say that? What do you think he would say? I spend a lot of time clearing these sorts of things up. The most recent was the time measurement out of the magazine.
I got side tracked LOL. In short look at these Bill Introductions once they are filed, then see if you local legislature is in favor or not. You can request they go into the bill and add , remove, amend etc parts of the proposed legislation. Then you will see lines through a sentence. it will still be visible and new language added this sort of thing. Then I vote for my local dude because I think he is trying to help stop it. The reality is, probably nothing is going to happen and the bill is stuck in limbo forever.
At least that is how it works in Pennsylvania.

Chubbles
08-02-2020, 12:05 AM
PA recently (2-3 years ago) legalized most things. Arial fireworks must be sold in a brick and mortar store (no tents). I've educated myself a great deal. My whole neighborhood gets together every 4th of July to go nuts. It's getting bigger every year. I couldn't be happier!

esgrillo
08-02-2020, 09:04 AM
just another example of the importance of local elections.

Salutecake
08-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Same here Chubbles, it's hard to believe that my community backs fireworks on the 4th. It took some time, perhaps generations had to change. But also we don't have all the trouble other cites have, with people shooting them off at all times of the day and night. I guess one reason my community tolerates fireworks is because people are sensible , 99.9 on weekends and usually none after 11pm.

joed2323
08-04-2020, 06:59 PM
the Michigan governor is one of the worst governor's ever!

FinnAmerican
08-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Here's an earlier article:
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2020/07/28/michigan-lawmakers-propose-limting-fireworks-sale-use/5526825002/