PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek at my next YouTube video subject

displayfireworks1
07-24-2020, 09:14 PM
They just arrived today. Here is a sneak peek of my next YouTube video I will be working on. I'll have a discount code also.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5218&stc=1

Birdman
07-25-2020, 08:59 AM
I'm going to guess they are meant to be use with visco fuse.

FWGuy
07-25-2020, 09:05 AM
That would be my guess - will be interesting to see if they would still require tape or if the visco goes in "snug" into the silicone sleeve.

pyroboom
07-25-2020, 10:04 AM
The fuse does not go snug into the clear sleeve/shroud. You can tape it or use a toothpick to create a wedge.

FWGuy
07-25-2020, 10:50 AM
If that is the case, how would it be any different than using the MJG Firewire Initiator - insert fuse into that "red/orange" sleeve and then tape? The sleeve in the pix above appears longer and is clear so perhaps that is the key difference?

pyroboom
07-25-2020, 11:52 AM
If that is the case, how would it be any different than using the MJG Firewire Initiator - insert fuse into that "red/orange" sleeve and then tape? The sleeve in the pix above appears longer and is clear so perhaps that is the key difference?

The new sleeve appears to be more stretchy instead of the hard plastic.

The new sleeve is clear. This is a big deal because Jeff @ MJG says to leave about 1/8" from the tip of the igniter to the fuse. Clear tape or a toothpick is a good way to secure and see.

If there is not a cost difference or minimal cost difference and this works just as well then it's a good thing. This clear shroud is for those who connect to fuse and not poke. If you poke then the red shroud is better.

I ordered several cases of these to sell at pyroboom.com. Hopefully they will work well! I like the idea.

PyroKing31
07-25-2020, 02:03 PM
FWIW it looks like its just Aquarium Air line. Very easy to make and do yourself if that's your speed.

jamisonlm3
07-25-2020, 04:19 PM
I was thinking it was clear heat shrink, but I think with the wires being as bent as they are, it probably is some sort of clear vinyl tubing.

displayfireworks1
07-27-2020, 09:58 PM
https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/37/5/firewire-visco-initiators
Use the code ...pyrotalk1.... to receive 30% off pre production discount for the next 7 days after this video post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKv4Z4l6UE

Pgdark19
07-28-2020, 10:00 AM
thanks for the informative video. gives more options for the lay person to e-fire.

psilynt
07-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Love the video, Dave! I noticed in your video that it seemed like all the fuses shot out of the clear plastic tubing, some quite forcefully. I assume thats because these tubing style connectors are not vented in any way whereas something like the MJG Visco Clips (https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/15/5/visco-clip) are? Is there any reason to think this would cause ignition issues?

Birdman
07-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Love the video, Dave! I noticed in your video that it seemed like all the fuses shot out of the clear plastic tubing, some quite forcefully. I assume thats because these tubing style connectors are not vented in any way whereas something like the MJG Visco Clips (https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/15/5/visco-clip) are? Is there any reason to think this would cause ignition issues?

All of the fuses lit. When using with a cake etc the fuse will be attached to something and won't fly anywhere. I think it's safe to assume there will be no ignition issues.

joewad
07-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Excellent idea, a better mouse trap kinda thing. You could possibly use a broken of toothpick to snug up the visco or stress relief with the "magic tape". Can't help but wonder if Lawn Mower Man was watching over your backyard test facility..........

psilynt
07-28-2020, 02:55 PM
All of the fuses lit. When using with a cake etc the fuse will be attached to something and won't fly anywhere. I think it's safe to assume there will be no ignition issues.

Seems like a race condition to me, get the fuse lit before the connector popcorns off. Im sure if you tape them up good like Dave does in his video it would probably work 99% of the time. I might be less optimistic about either a very tight or very loose fuse with little to no tape though. Something like the visco clip which has a living hinge to hold the fuse and is vented to stay in place for the duration of the initiator seems like it might be more like 99.99%.

tmwjr
07-28-2020, 03:59 PM
I'm sure the initiator had an effect. But if you put any of those fuses on the ground and light them with anything (bic lighter) they will fly around. This is especially true for the faster fuse types.

Fulliautomatix
07-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Is it actually the igniter blowing it out of the tube, or the fuse launching out on its own power once ignited? We need some high speed macro footage.

jamisonlm3
07-28-2020, 07:14 PM
The MJGs create quite a bit of energy when they ignite. They turn into little rockets similar to the way fuse does when it ignites. If you look at fuse testing videos, you'll see that fuse will propel itself unless it's taped down or is secured some other way. On the 4th, I fused up a rack of shells. I push the fuse into the shroud and taped them together. Even a 100ft away, you could see them launch themselves from the rack. My guess is the tape sticks much better to the plastic shroud than it does the fuse.