PDA

View Full Version : Some Talon Testing with Different Systems

WithReport
07-24-2020, 08:37 PM
So here is a video I did the other week - I'll admit I was a bit cabin crazy ruing this COVID time with everything shut down.

I had seen a video posted that showed a talon being fired and it was not nearly as intense as I had thought it would be. I happened to have some talons so I tested out a few of the systems with Talons - also started a few fires. :rolleyes:

The test is completely qualitative, but you might find it informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLZgxYe2Eo

If you are not familiar, some of the higher end systems are designed for e-matches which is a very quick pulse. The nichrome wire of the talon/clip style igniters takes some time to heat up, so quick pulses are not reliable with talons. So fireTEK and Cobra have a "talon mode" which allows a longer pulse duration. Talon mode will fire e-matches just fine - there just may be some other limitations based on different systems.

here is a video from last year showing the two modes on fireTEK, but it is similar with others. I fire both MJG ignitiators and Talons with both modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hEN9-T9j0

jamisonlm3
07-25-2020, 11:50 AM
What do you think the firing current is with all the systems, in normal and talon mode if available? I've checked it with my multimeter on my cheap 12 cue system and it around 900mA. This is from on of the modules that uses 4AA cells to power it. I was using Energizer lithiums in it over alkalines. Maybe that increased current a little bit over alkalines?

AxeElf
07-25-2020, 01:50 PM
What do you think the firing current is with all the systems, in normal and talon mode if available? I've checked it with my multimeter on my cheap 12 cue system and it around 900mA. This is from on of the modules that uses 4AA cells to power it. I was using Energizer lithiums in it over alkalines. Maybe that increased current a little bit over alkalines?

If the batteries are fresh, both alkaline and lithium batteries should deliver approximately the same current. Lithium batteries will maintain a higher current longer, but if you're using fresh batteries for every shoot in your modules, the significantly cheaper alkalines are the way to go. You can get like 100 of them for $20 on Amazon.

WithReport
07-26-2020, 01:03 AM

I'm not sure, but maybe I can check at some point. The fireTEK, Cobra, and MSQ12 with 12V SLA all have a much higher voltage - so check you V=IR for e-match time igniters. I know the MJG Initiators have a 600ma "minimum all-fire" current.

If I remember AA batteries are 1.5V so 4 of them would be 6V.

I saw a video of a 3.3V system and nichrome filaments were either very dim or taking a while to heat up. That is what made me curious about other systems (Even though I new they had more output voltage).

As for heating up a nichrome filament it's much like a stove top you want convert that to heat so current is more important. If it is a short burst of high current, it may not do much or may not have time to burn through the visco. With a lower current, it will take longer to heat up - hence why some devices have "talon mode" It keeps the circuit closed longer.