PDA

View Full Version : purpose of 5in and 6in cans

caleb90
07-21-2020, 06:26 AM
so is it just marketing crap or is there any bennefit of the 5in and 6in cans over the normall 4in? to me it makes no sense as 60grams is max. so it dosnt matter if its in a 3,4,5,6 heck even 10 inch cardboard tube.

Mattp
07-21-2020, 07:05 AM
DING DING DING!!!!... LOL... i havent purchesd these myself... so maybe someone who has fired/compared them to regular shells can chime in and say what they think... dave did a video a year or two ago on these... he opened one up... and inside was all dead space.. so it was the exact same thing... in a larger tube... unless they can start using that space to create some different patterns or larger stars.. i will not be purchasing them

AquaticPyro
07-21-2020, 07:28 AM
DING DING DING!!!!... LOL... i havent purchesd these myself... so maybe someone who has fired/compared them to regular shells can chime in and say what they think... dave did a video a year or two ago on these... he opened one up... and inside was all dead space.. so it was the exact same thing... in a larger tube... unless they can start using that space to create some different patterns or larger stars.. i will not be purchasing them

I have seen several videos and it make no difference. I can refer you to several other video where there were opened before Dave did it. Someone also opened up several 3-imch cakes, they had smaller 1.5" shells inside and empty 3" shell. Just get 9-shot 500G and pay half as much or better yet just make a mortar rack.

jamisonlm3
07-21-2020, 10:56 AM
There's alot of smoke and mirrors in the fireworks business. Many things are done just so the customer perceives something is better and pays more for it regardless of how good it actually is. It won't surprise me if we get a 7" shells int he next couple of years and even longer shells in the following years.

Icooclast
07-21-2020, 11:43 AM
There's alot of smoke and mirrors in the fireworks business. Many things are done just so the customer perceives something is better and pays more for it regardless of how good it actually is. It won't surprise me if we get a 7" shells int he next couple of years and even longer shells in the following years.

and i can almost guarantee that: i will not be happy 'till all the empty spaces in those shells are filled with more "boom! powder".

joewad
07-21-2020, 12:04 PM
I'm trying to stay away from any political euphemisms to explain but basically, 60 grams equals 60 grams no matter how you sell it. Basically, marketing eye-candy.

Birdman
07-21-2020, 12:06 PM
IMO, when it comes to cans, there is little difference between 4 and 4+ inch. A 4 inch can be just as nice, if not nicer than a 5 inch. I will disagree on 3 inch cakes/tubes. While, yes, the shell is not really 3 inches etc, most have higher, bigger, louder breaks than your average canister shell. I assume this is because the shells are much better constructed.

bigmike06
07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
I would be happy if they actually put in all 60 grams, regardless of shell size.

Birdman
07-21-2020, 12:34 PM
Just get 9-shot 500G and pay half as much or better yet just make a mortar rack.

After rereading this....I agree, most NOAB's are similar regardless of tube size. Above I was only comparing cans to 3 inch cakes/tubes.

jamisonlm3
07-21-2020, 01:01 PM
and i can almost guarantee that: i will not be happy 'till all the empty spaces in those shells are filled with more "boom! powder".They'll fill them with dirt. That way, when people put them on a scale, they can be amazed at how much heavier they are. It weighs more so it must be better.

displayfireworks1
07-21-2020, 05:35 PM
Here is my video from June 2019 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3YyDvaVu8

joewad
07-21-2020, 06:30 PM
I would be happy if they actually put in all 60 grams, regardless of shell size.

I forgot that point, thanks...... I've watched several, what I would call, "dissection" videos of canisters in recent years and I don't believe 1 has come out at 60 grams or even more. If someone could point me in video direction I would appreciate it, sometimes I need to believe in a Wonka bar and it's golden ticket.

Birdman
07-21-2020, 08:03 PM
I forgot that point, thanks...... I've watched several, what I would call, "dissection" videos of canisters in recent years and I don't believe 1 has come out at 60 grams or even more. If someone could point me in video direction I would appreciate it, sometimes I need to believe in a Wonka bar and it's golden ticket.

Just search on youtube for "what's in a canister shell". Plenty of videos. You can also try searching for what's in "X" canister shell. Most of the popular shells have dissection videos.

joewad
07-22-2020, 03:25 PM
Just search on youtube for "what's in a canister shell". Plenty of videos. You can also try searching for what's in "X" canister shell. Most of the popular shells have dissection videos.

In a more clearer point, I have yet to see 1 "dissection" of a canister video come out with 60 grams or even larger. They have all fallen quite short of 60.

Birdman
07-22-2020, 04:50 PM
In a more clearer point, I have yet to see 1 "dissection" of a canister video come out with 60 grams or even larger. They have all fallen quite short of 60.

500 gram cakes appear to be even worse. IIRC, the one I saw taken apart had less than 200 grams in it.

caleb90
07-22-2020, 04:54 PM
id say imo alot has to do with social media. there is a youtube channel i am subscribed too called codybpyrotechnics. i will say he does a great job with the videos, they are entertaining and he shows alot of different products. but i have noticed on his comparison videos, he will stack up a 4inch can vs 5in 6in brand xyz and always say on video how the bigger were the better. also he will test n.o.a.b.s and claim "this one is a true 3in shell". me and people like us know this isnt true, and i wish he would tell the truth a bit better. i am assuming he is large enough to were he is sponsered and "has" to make these claims

caleb90
07-22-2020, 04:56 PM
500 gram cakes appear to be even worse. IIRC, the one I saw taken apart had less than 200 grams in it.

why i feel most 200/350 gram cakes are better than spending the extra money on a 500gram. unless you know what your looking at.

Birdman
07-22-2020, 05:59 PM
id say imo alot has to do with social media. there is a youtube channel i am subscribed too called codybpyrotechnics. i will say he does a great job with the videos, they are entertaining and he shows alot of different products. but i have noticed on his comparison videos, he will stack up a 4inch can vs 5in 6in brand xyz and always say on video how the bigger were the better. also he will test n.o.a.b.s and claim "this one is a true 3in shell". me and people like us know this isnt true, and i wish he would tell the truth a bit better. i am assuming he is large enough to were he is sponsered and "has" to make these claims

I subscribe to his channel. I take his opinions with a grain of salt. Everything he demos seems to get a "OMG" reaction like he's never seen a firework in his life.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2020, 12:08 AM

What Mike said!