PDA

View Full Version : Cake stabilization/securing

ssmith512
07-19-2020, 09:34 AM
Question about cakes in general.

Should 1.3 cakes be stabilized, i.e. stakes on each side to prevent lateral movement?

What if the cakes are placed on a hard surface (asphalt or concrete) in lieu of grass? Use of standard residential bricks or concrete foundation blocks sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

d34d3ND
07-19-2020, 08:12 PM
If you are not sure, I error on the side of caution always. There is no harm in staking or placing sandbags on either side to prevent movement. Best to be safe and have a little extra cleanup rather than have an incident that could cost you.

Merolis
07-20-2020, 05:23 AM
High Caliber cakes should be secured on all sides to prevent a lift failure/CATO from flipping the cake or knocking tubes free.

ssmith512
07-20-2020, 07:45 AM
If you are not sure, I error on the side of caution always. There is no harm in staking or placing sandbags on either side to prevent movement. Best to be safe and have a little extra cleanup rather than have an incident that could cost you.

I just learned about the ABC's) of cakes - Always Brace Cakes!! :D

Sandbags - excellent idea if I end up shooting off of hard surface.

Thanks!!

Mattp
07-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Not all, but Most 1.3 cakes are made heavier and are steadier ... of course it can never hurt to add some bracing... but usually if its heavier with a solid base... it will be fine without... this is also where proper distances come into play... if you do not have proper distance... then yes, definitely brace

Salutecake
07-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Would gluing them to plywood, like what many do with 1.4 be ok or do you still need to brace?

AquaticPyro
07-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Yes, plywood can be useful, use tall bricks of you do use them. I do not bother using bricks on 500G 1.4G but 1.4G 200G cakes need them.