PDA

View Full Version : Another Hoosier has arrived

ssmith512
07-14-2020, 08:53 PM
Greetings fellow Pyro's from McCordsville, IN!!

I am 50 years old and just realized I am a pyro! LOL! Made an attempt at my first "show" this past 4th of July after I visited a Phantom Fireworks for the first time. Show wasnt perfect, but had fun and am now HOOKED on fireworks!!! I have already filled out the ATF application so I can acquire my Type 54 license. Big thanks to Dave for sending me the DVD package. 1.4 just isnt going to quench my thirst for boom in the sky. LOL!

I already have Lynch Imports and Casabella on speed dial :D Looking forward to their demo's next year, hoping to meet fellow pyro's and learn as much as I can.

Is this hobby GREAT or what!?!?!?

My only drawback is my location. I live in a typical, sprawling, residential neighborhood. Finding adequate shoot sites will prove to be challenging. And there is the whole Display permit requirement we have here in Indiana for shooting 1.3 product. Stuff I still need to learn and figure out.

Steve

displayfireworks1
07-14-2020, 08:59 PM
If you are having a major display a display permit is required in Indiana. Seemed pretty easy to get. From what I heard in Indiana over the July 4th holiday, the entire state sounds like one big fireworks display. LOL

ssmith512
07-14-2020, 09:05 PM
If you are having a major display a display permit is required in Indiana. Seemed pretty easy to get. From what I heard in Indiana over the July 4th holiday, the entire state sounds like one big fireworks display. LOL

Yes, every neighborhood in the State is a war zone on the 4th! It's AWESOME!! LOL!

Here is what I got from the IN.gov website and Indiana Department of Homeland Security....

In order to conduct a supervised public display of fireworks and to possess, deliver, and transport special fireworks, a permit must be obtained from the Indiana State Fire Marshal. See Indiana Code 22-11-14-2 and 675 Indiana Administrative Code 12-9-5 (page 49). Applications for permits must be received 15 calendar days before the date of the display. Permits issued by the State Fire Marshal are not effective until the chief of the fire department of the municipality in which the display is to be held has approved the operator of the display as qualified and has inspected the site of the display to determine that the display will not be hazardous to property or persons.

Based on state statute and NFPA 1123, the following applies for fireworks displays in Indiana:

If the fireworks show is for a private gathering where 1.3g fireworks are intended to be used, IDHS considers this a public display and a permit must be obtained.
If a permit is not obtained for a private gathering, then only consumer 1.4g fireworks can be used.
If a fireworks show is a traditional public display for public purposes (at baseball games or theme parks, for a city and so on), then a public display permit is required.
Any individual who wants to possess 1.3g (special) fireworks must have a supervised public display permit. Individuals are not permitted to buy and use 1.3g fireworks for personal use unrelated to a public display per Indiana Code 22-11-14-2(f), which states that a "person may not possess, transport, or deliver special fireworks, except as authorized under [IC 22-11-14-2]." Indiana Code 22-11-14-2 authorizes the use of these fireworks for public displays only.

I interpret that meaning ANY use of 1.3 product is considered a "public display" and therefore requires a display permit. Maybe I am wrong (hopefully?)

IndianaPH
07-15-2020, 07:49 AM
Welcome to the forum fellow Hoosier.

357pyro
07-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Yes, every neighborhood in the State is a war zone on the 4th! It's AWESOME!! LOL!

Here is what I got from the IN.gov website and Indiana Department of Homeland Security....

In order to conduct a supervised public display of fireworks and to possess, deliver, and transport special fireworks, a permit must be obtained from the Indiana State Fire Marshal. See Indiana Code 22-11-14-2 and 675 Indiana Administrative Code 12-9-5 (page 49). Applications for permits must be received 15 calendar days before the date of the display. Permits issued by the State Fire Marshal are not effective until the chief of the fire department of the municipality in which the display is to be held has approved the operator of the display as qualified and has inspected the site of the display to determine that the display will not be hazardous to property or persons.

Based on state statute and NFPA 1123, the following applies for fireworks displays in Indiana:

If the fireworks show is for a private gathering where 1.3g fireworks are intended to be used, IDHS considers this a public display and a permit must be obtained.
If a permit is not obtained for a private gathering, then only consumer 1.4g fireworks can be used.
If a fireworks show is a traditional public display for public purposes (at baseball games or theme parks, for a city and so on), then a public display permit is required.
Any individual who wants to possess 1.3g (special) fireworks must have a supervised public display permit. Individuals are not permitted to buy and use 1.3g fireworks for personal use unrelated to a public display per Indiana Code 22-11-14-2(f), which states that a "person may not possess, transport, or deliver special fireworks, except as authorized under [IC 22-11-14-2]." Indiana Code 22-11-14-2 authorizes the use of these fireworks for public displays only.

I interpret that meaning ANY use of 1.3 product is considered a "public display" and therefore requires a display permit. Maybe I am wrong (hopefully?)

If you search old threads there is some information that I have posted regarding this permit process. If you have any questions about it feel free to DM me. Welcome and good luck on your 54 process!