PDA

View Full Version : Hi from NH!

Jbellen
07-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Greetings everyone. I am a fireworks hobbyist from Milton, NH. I have used many consumer products over the years and this year for the 4th I decided to up my game for the family with all of the COVID restrictions and professional shows being cancelled. I was able to put on a small but decent show for the family and a couple neighbors in a secluded private development. This year I purchased an inexpensive firing system to get my feet wet with that. This year the pyrotechnics bug really got me. I've already started to build a few racks for consumer shells and have started planning a new years show to try some stuff out.

I have been a firefighter since 2006 and it was always the highlight of the year when we got to do fireworks standbys and interacting with the professional shooters. I was even lucky enough to attend a class put on by a local display company in conjunction with our Fire Marshals office on fireworks safety and inspection. We got to see some intentional failures of shells, flowerpots, and got to hand fire a couple shells.

I just ordered the BATFE 54 license videos from Dave. I'm looking to get licensed to up my home fireworks game for next years celebrations. My challenge I think is going to be a contingency storage plan where I am located.

Is there anyone else from NH on here that knows the ins and outs of how to become a licensed shooter in NH and navigate the Fire Marshals Office requirements?

PyroGyro
07-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I am from the NH area and shoot 1.4 regularly. I also have crewed on 1.3 shows and know a couple of licensed shooters with Type 54s. IMO, unless you plan on shooting 1.3 shows regularly and are ok with the criteria below I would not recommend getting your type 54. Here's why:

*Until you have shot a lot of 1.4 and 1.4 Pro(Articles of Pyrotechnics), you don't know how little you're actually missing with 1.3. IMO you should explore what you can do with consumer fireworks and 1.4P first, and determine if 1.3 is worth it to you.
*With 1.3 you need a shoot site big enough to support your 1.3 show. If you plan on shooting 6 or 8" shells you need 420-560ft distance between those shells and an audience.
* A 1.3 show requires a permit.
* You must have insurance to shoot 1.3 shows. I think it's about $1,500 in NH
* This may not be an issue for you, but the fire dept must be onsite for 1.3 shows, and in NH you're talking about $65 an hour. From setup, to break down.
* Contingency storage is needed for 1.3 product. $$$ and you're inviting the ATF to your house.
* Type 54 allows you to possess 1.3 fireworks. You must also be a licensed shooter in the state of NH to shoot 1.3. You don't just become licensed with an application. I think you need some 1.3 shoots under your belt (shooting for someone else) before you will get a license, and you need to pass a written test.
* There are all sorts of regulations and rules in the state of NH for 1.3 shoots and how they are setup as well.

NONE of the above is required for shooting 1.4 or 1.4 Pro in the state of NH. In short 1.3 is a big pain, that's the reality. If you want to see what you can do with 1.4 and 1.4 Pro, look no further than this video from one of the members here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuiDZF_XS-U <<All 1.4 or 1.4 Pro product.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me