PDA

View Full Version : Cake Blow Outs

NOLApyro
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
This New Years I experienced my first blow out on a 200 gm cake which was glued to a board. Luckily, safety prevented injury and damage to property. This is the first time I've had a blow out since I started doing shows about 3 years ago. I've seen this happen a few times in Dave's videos on the class B cakes but I want to know how often this happens on consumer cakes? Has it happened to any of yall? What was your experience?

Palermitano2
01-02-2012, 12:07 PM
This New Years I experienced my first blow out on a 200 gm cake which was glued to a board. Luckily, safety prevented injury and damage to property. This is the first time I've had a blow out since I started doing shows about 3 years ago. I've seen this happen a few times in Dave's videos on the class B cakes but I want to know how often this happens on consumer cakes? Has it happened to any of yall? What was your experience?

It happens to me around 2 times per hundred or so cakes it is usualy not a big deal because i keep safe distances...I will tell you 1 in 3 years is pretty good. however the more you shoot the better the chance that it could happen again.

indianahx
01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I will tell you 1 in 3 years is pretty good. however the more you shoot the better the chance that it could happen again.

The law of numbers....this is very true. Blowouts, flowerpots, mortar catos....all of these are INEVITABLE when you start to shoot multiple times. Sooner or later, it will happen. And it looks like it did. Fortunate for you, as you said, you were able to prevent any damage with some safe practices.

The fireworks themselves, and the powder, and the chemicals do not care whether or not it was a 1.3 or 1.4 manufactured cake. Coudl have been a number of elements that went into the cake blowout. I have had this happen to me a few times. One time was a 200g cake that I believe had probably been wet. the entire center of the cake was blown out and literally left nothing. another was a 500g large fan cake. fortunately only a corner tube was blown out and virtually the rest of the cake was left in tact.

Guess the moral of the story is, it will happen regardless of the brand, size, classification, ect. Just keep doing your shows safely with proper distances and setup and you'll be in good shape. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

J's12talk
01-02-2012, 11:45 PM
I was at an event this year where they were checking out a 2.5" heavy salute cake, it jumped up and flipped over on its side. The cake had to weigh 35-50lb's, needless to say I had to change my tighty whiteys afterwards. Lesson is stake and tape all cakes.

Pyro Nation
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I was at an event this year where they were checking out a 2.5" heavy salute cake, it jumped up and flipped over on its side. The cake had to weigh 35-50lb's, needless to say I had to change my tighty whiteys afterwards. Lesson is stake and tape all cakes.

WOW... I usually do not stake those ones ever... Guess I need to rethink that...

PyroJoeNEPA
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Uhhhhh-this isn't what ya meant?????

Pyro Nation
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
LOL... Joe...that is exactly what J was talking about

Palermitano2
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Joe ......this made me hungry for chocolate cake.....there goes the diet.....lol

Pyro Nation
01-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Oh no..Already...its only the 3rd...

J's12talk
01-03-2012, 10:44 PM

Thats the kind of cake you fork not steak. Oh no now I'm hungry to. LOL!

PyroJoeNEPA
01-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm totally surprised nobody made a wise crack about the rack behind the cake! Guess ya didn't enlarge the picture. OK--now I'm returning the thread. :-)

floridapyro
01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
It happens. I've seen a bunch of nasties happen. Probably the worst was a salute rocket that made it about 20 feet up and blew. Needless to say it scared the $hit out of us all.

J's12talk
01-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm totally surprised nobody made a wise crack about the rack behind the cake! Guess ya didn't enlarge the picture. OK--now I'm returning the thread. :-)

There's not enough candles on that cake to comment on that rack. LOL!

crackerbomb
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
There's not enough candles on that cake to comment on that rack. LOL!

thats funny, 6 more years...

Pyro Nation
01-04-2012, 10:33 PM
well, unless you like to where orange..... : OP

indianahx
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM

Man now I'm mad.....when you said rack I was expecting to see some mortar rack. Now I see what I was missing. And, yes, I went back and blew it up

crackerbomb
01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
this is going no where good.... Hey it isn't as cold today.....lol

Pyro Nation
01-05-2012, 12:30 AM
And you know what happens on a cold Day???

crackerbomb
01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
yes I do, so you stay inside and drink.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Man now I'm mad.....when you said rack I was expecting to see some mortar rack. Now I see what I was missing. And, yes, I went back and blew it up
I hope you meant "enlarge the picture" when you say "blow it up"....hate to see ya destroy your computer screen!!!!

Pyro@Mach13
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Maniac a 500 gram cake from kellner's had two of them blow out on me last year!

NTpyro
01-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Never happen to me. Only really low breaks on some smaller cakes, and some bigger V-cakes on 1kg (yeah, 1kg is legal here in Sweden :D)

(sorry for the bumping)

VTcakeBOSS
01-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I had it happen this last year with two cakes one was a small eight shot cake if i remember correctly maybe nine, and the other was with a 33 shot cake that is well known and both were kinda sketchy situations but thanks to caution tape and proper clearances everyone was ok and I later realized that it was a good idea to buy the caution tape! :) J/K I always shoot 500+ feet away from the spectators