PDA

View Full Version : ATF 54 License Question:

Srkush7
07-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Hey guys, just curious regarding the application of the Type 54 license.

I currently have a Emotional support animal (that waived my monthly rent fees for my dog & my non refundable $500 deposit) due to my "condition"... Although im not sure what they "diagnosed" me for or what they say is wrong with me....
I just applied on a website to have my fees waived, and got a call from a licensed mental health person and went through the steps to receive it.

Although i realized it may have shot me in the foot in the long run...

In the Orange Handbook is describes the qualifications for the background check.
It states "(6) has been adjudicated a mental defective or who has been
committed to a mental institution" as a reason for denial..

Can i pay to pull my own background check that is on a federal level to see what they would see?
Does anybody know if having a ESA Housing letter for my dog disqualify me from applying?
Or would that not show up on a background check? I have heard in some instances that is may or may not come up.

Thank you very much in advance!
-Shane

Mattp
07-12-2020, 01:25 PM
I honestly have no idea ... but having a emotional support animal is pretty common these days ... I don’t think that makes you “mentally defective”... unless you have been legally deemed so by a judge,, or committed to a mental institution... pretty sure you would know if either of those happened to you.. lol

Srkush7
07-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that too. And thankfully I haven't been to a mental institution!
I could understand somebody being denied for that ... lol
But thank you for the reply! I appreciate it.

AxeElf
07-12-2020, 06:39 PM
As long as the animal is fully certified in demolitions and explosives safety procedures, there shouldn't be a problem.