PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Fireworks Storage

Chad101
07-12-2020, 01:13 AM
What are your thoughts on vacuum packing canister shells and storing them in a shed loft until the next 4th of July (see attached image)?

Note: I’m doing this outside, not in my kitchen.

Should I be concerned with rodents, heat, and temperature swings? The loft is ventilated. However, the temperature up there can exceed 110F on a hot day.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5187&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
07-12-2020, 01:27 AM
I've had canister shells out in my garage down here in the swamp for well over a year, and they all shot. You should be fine.

upNdown
07-12-2020, 11:24 AM
I think one significant feature of consumer fireworks is that they can be safely stored in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, in a car, on a train, here or there or anywhere.

AxeElf
07-12-2020, 06:49 PM
The vacuum-packing is probably unnecessary. In fact, depending on how much vacuum is applied, you could even be damaging some shells by increasing the relative pressure inside the shell by sucking out the reciprocal atmospheric pressure outside of the shell and then leaving them like that for a year--could potentially damage the integrity of the shell casing itself (although in the pic it doesn't look like the vacuum is that strong).

Since neither black powder nor paper will combust until the temperature is 400 degrees or more, your shed should be safe--as long as you don't mount a giant magnifying glass over it or something.

Chad101
07-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

FWGuy
07-15-2020, 04:53 PM
What AxeElf said is spot on with regards to vacuum packing...would not recommend as it could be compromised in some form

jLk_pyro
07-15-2020, 05:24 PM
I think one significant feature of consumer fireworks is that they can be safely stored in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, in a car, on a train, here or there or anywhere.

HAHA!! Totally agree. Although, the mouse in my house might starting chewing into all that yummy cardboard.. Slimy rodents

jamisonlm3
07-15-2020, 09:13 PM
I had to go into the shed I store fireworks today. Since I was going into it, I decided it'd be a good oppertunity to see exactly how hot it was inside. I pointed my infared thermometor at my racks and got 110f around 4pm. I didn't think to take a measurement from the storage bins like your's in the lofts, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit higher up there.

Mississippipyro
07-16-2020, 09:59 AM
The most important thing to note is that all consumer fireworks will need to be ignited for the explosion to happen. This means that fireworks cannot simply detonate. The firework will not go off in extreme heat because it must always have an ignition source to be exposed to the fuse.

AxeElf
07-16-2020, 03:59 PM
The firework will not go off in extreme heat because it must always have an ignition source to be exposed to the fuse.

Well, technically, extreme heat IS the ignition source. If the temperature in a shed or car or just sitting in the sun could reach upwards of 450 degrees, then yes, materials that combust at 400+ degrees, like paper and black powder, would ignite. Fortunately, the Earth's environment doesn't create such extreme ambient temperatures under normal conditions.

JoSlicknuts
07-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Fireworks are placed in ovens to test to make sure they don't ignite from high heat. Flame is required for ignition.

AxeElf
07-16-2020, 08:14 PM
Fireworks are placed in ovens to test to make sure they don't ignite from high heat. Flame is required for ignition.

And paper bursts into flame at a temperature of about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The autoignition temperature of black powder is even higher. So you probably won't ever encounter flammable temperatures under normal circumstances.

AquaticPyro
07-21-2020, 08:30 AM
My house attic breaks 130 F any day it is above 80 outside even with venting 360 and between one and two dozen vents. Plastic bags should be enough to keep then stable outdoors. They do not need to be vacuum sealed, I would use 1 gallon GV ziplock bags. Rats will hew cardboard and wood but not hard plastic. Fireworks do not smell like food. I would not worry about rats.