PDA

View Full Version : starting a fireworks shop

caleb90
07-10-2020, 09:17 PM
so ive always wanted my own buisness like most every one. im big into hunting fire arms and fishing, thought that was the route i wanted to go. but after going to my local firework shop after some years and seeing how busy it was. it got me to to thinking why not combine both? each could carry proffit over to the current change of season, both are american as apple pie. wondering if any of yall have done this and have insight?

N.E. Pyrotechnics
07-13-2020, 10:48 AM
I've done a little bit of research into what it would take to get a brick and mortar fireworks store up and running. The first thing I learned was that every state, every county, every municipality has a unique set of rules and laws that can have a significant impact on your start up costs.
Here in Michigan the state level laws that govern fireworks sales predicate as you would expect, significant liability and property damage insurance, and they also require fire protection systems (sprinkler/chemical).
I'm sure I've only scratched the surface, and that there are other members that can give you a much more in depth answer to your question. The two issues that I mentioned are just the big, obvious ones. Having a building, and inventory follow right behind the first two.
If I keep spending on fireworks the way that I am currently, I don't see myself getting together $200-$300K anytime soon. That was the number I landed at with just rudimentary figures. No doubt it would surely go higher than that... And then there would be the problem of my needing to "test" all of the product before I could sell any of it.... I don't want to sell any "duds".:cool:

caleb90
07-13-2020, 07:51 PM
I've done a little bit of research into what it would take to get a brick and mortar fireworks store up and running. The first thing I learned was that every state, every county, every municipality has a unique set of rules and laws that can have a significant impact on your start up costs.
Here in Michigan the state level laws that govern fireworks sales predicate as you would expect, significant liability and property damage insurance, and they also require fire protection systems (sprinkler/chemical).
I'm sure I've only scratched the surface, and that there are other members that can give you a much more in depth answer to your question. The two issues that I mentioned are just the big, obvious ones. Having a building, and inventory follow right behind the first two.
If I keep spending on fireworks the way that I am currently, I don't see myself getting together $200-$300K anytime soon. That was the number I landed at with just rudimentary figures. No doubt it would surely go higher than that... And then there would be the problem of my needing to "test" all of the product before I could sell any of it.... I don't want to sell any "duds".:cool:

i live in NY but the pa border is litterly 1000ft from my house across the cow pasture. at first i was thinking starting small, leasing a place or renting while i still worked my normall job. try to get a customer base, problem being is that im on the ny/pa border. there are some big name competition, but none do what i plan to do and in my thought might be the difference. i do need to look into pa laws more and see whats all needed to see if its even feasable in this new day and age with out having 1 mill to spend on start up.

displayfireworks1
07-13-2020, 09:24 PM
If you want to start a fireworks retail location talk to Ray at Wholesale Fireworks in Hubbard Ohio aka wfboom.com. Start the conversation with how much start funding you have . But don't call until somewhere in August. Everyone in the fireworks is busy beyond belief this season and it may not slow down until August.

Arclight
07-14-2020, 12:39 AM
In rural areas, I've seen gun shops that were run out of a small outbuilding next to the main house. It can be done.

caleb90
07-14-2020, 11:26 AM
In rural areas, I've seen gun shops that were run out of a small outbuilding next to the main house. It can be done.

thats how it is here, but seeing how my house is in NY id be sol on selling fire works. so i have no choice to open a shop in PA

caleb90
07-15-2020, 03:49 PM
so looking more into it today. the fee for an application in PA is 2500 bucks, plus the yearly fee of 7500 bucks on top. then 7500 year on after, its a shame PA is following NY and taxing every thing to death. So the thought of starting small is out of the window, id have to sell 12grand plus first year just to break even

FWGuy
07-15-2020, 04:49 PM

Rule #1, #2, and #3 with any business...DON'T USE/TEST YOUR OWN PRODUCT ;).