PDA

View Full Version : My 2020 Show - TX Pyro

esgrillo
07-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Finally finished up the video of my 2020 Show. Thought it came out pretty good. New stuff this year included a "ring" around my retention pond about 800 ft long with 14 6 cue mini slat stations that run off 1 18m with a couple booster battery with relays. It worked good and looked pretty cool in the drone shots. Also new was an additional 36m slat version connected to 3 new 40 shot racks from Big Time Pyro. I have 15 metal comet racks in all now (that's enough!!). In total there 15 18m modules, 8 36M modules, 72m, 11 36 mini slats, 5 18 mini slats plus a Cobra Audio box.

Again this year I used the Audiobox to send timecode to my PC based DMX software that ran 4 moving head Chauvet lights, 5 flame machines, and a laser light. The lights and flames worked really good this year and I have some pretty good footage of them in the beginning of the video.

There was about 100hrs of setup time in my garage for this one but we were able to move everything and set up in the field in about 4hrs. I have a great set up crew compared to many I hear on the forum so I am quite fortunate in that regard. I do set my platforms in place the previous day. It was pretty hot but we have a good system for liquid refreshments and a lunch break.

Big shout out to Reed S for designing the battery booster boxes and set up help. He is a cobra expert and having another one on your team is a HUGE help. He is able to catch a lot of little things that I miss especially with a show of this size. It seems as if there are 1000 moving parts sometimes.

Timing was good and just about everything went off. I did a Frank Sinatra medley in honor of my father who passed in 2018, I thought it looked good and the crowd loved it. My "cue burner" lol section is in the Def Leppard. I did a comet run with I cant even remember how many cues but it is fast and came out perfect IMHO. I stole some of Ricks finally items so thank you Rick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuiDZF_XS-U&lc=UgxrQxboCq_zWF9kWIt4AaABAg

Birdman
07-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Another awesome show Ed! Also kudos to your crew! You're a lucky man to have a crew you can trust. I could go on and on but I'll leave it awesome!

tmwjr
07-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Really amazing sir... extremely well done

Mattharrington
07-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Amazing show! I've been looking forward to seeing this

Big Worm
07-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Gosh dang Ed flippin epic. Thank you!

BeerGuyEd
07-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Ed that was another amazing show. The time and effort you take to not only put on the show on, but the choreography, the attention to details, and even the video of it all is just impressive.

CozmicRooster
07-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Truly amazing! Very well done.

Jay_
07-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Simply spectacular. Your timing, choreography, product choice and use...just amazing!

Man....that looked like a lot of work! I know you said 100+ hours of just setup time, but the time spent scripting choosing product ect...I would assume that to be equal to or beyond the time of setup.

It is obviously the best one that I have seen this year...probably ever.

How did you manage to not have your video locked up in youtube jail for copyright claims?

esgrillo
07-10-2020, 05:33 PM
Jay thank you. Well this year I have no AC/DC songs so that’s one way. They get locked up all the time. I don’t monetize so that let’s you get past a lot of flags. Who knows it could still come down, never know. Hopefully not this year. Last year it got taken down but I won on appeal.

FWGuy
07-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Ed...fantastic job...have to be honest though, had a hard time getting past the 0.17 mark on the video as was just starting at the stockpile of product and setup area. Impressive!!!

AJ Rhino
07-10-2020, 08:16 PM
I'm new here. This is fantastic. I'm so glad I found this forum. Excellent work.

joewad
07-10-2020, 09:50 PM
I'm usually not speechless. Past the point of impressive my pyro friend. You've managed to "pass the pyro bug" to your friends and family. Converting those that were initially hesitant. Well done.

AxeElf
07-10-2020, 09:53 PM
You win... again.

My hero...

Rick_In_Tampa
07-10-2020, 11:35 PM
OMG..... Dude..... I don't even know what to say. That was beyond phenomenal! The timing was impeccable. The effects were perfect for the music. The tribute to your dad was amazing. Wow... You need to charge admission!! Hell, I need to forget what I'm doing and head down there to see your show before you start charging admission!!

Once again, I am blown away! Spectacular job my friend. Just spectacular. I humbly bow in your general direction Sir. :cool:

PyroGyro
07-10-2020, 11:46 PM
What a show! Every year your show gets better and better and IMO this is the best one yet. The choice of effects, timing, overall choreography was awesome. I loved Too Late by Def Leppard, especially because when I'd made a list of songs I'd do pyro too this one came up, because of all the potential "hits" within it. A lot of what I pictured for that song in my head was exhibited in your show. Fantastic!

esgrillo
07-11-2020, 08:01 AM
OMG..... Dude..... I don't even know what to say. That was beyond phenomenal! The timing was impeccable. The effects were perfect for the music. The tribute to your dad was amazing. Wow... You need to charge admission!! Hell, I need to forget what I'm doing and head down there to see your show before you start charging admission!!

Once again, I am blown away! Spectacular job my friend. Just spectacular. I humbly bow in your general direction Sir. :cool:

Rick thank you my friend. I am fortunate to have a crew willing to help and actually have been doing it long enough that there are 2 others that I trust terminating into a mod so that is a huge help set up day. One is Reed S who is on this forum occasionally who is also a Cobra expert. Having him on set up day and shoot day saves HOURS of set up time and prevents me from skipping steps especially on shoot day. We all know shoot day is insane especially if you are hosting a party at your house like I do. It is really easy to miss something. I really feel for guys/gals that struggle getting help. I am in the fortunate few category with that.

You can see I stole some of your ideas/product for the finale and I think it really helped that section. Much appreciated.

esgrillo
07-11-2020, 06:41 PM
What a show! Every year your show gets better and better and IMO this is the best one yet. The choice of effects, timing, overall choreography was awesome. I loved Too Late by Def Leppard, especially because when I'd made a list of songs I'd do pyro too this one came up, because of all the potential "hits" within it. A lot of what I pictured for that song in my head was exhibited in your show. Fantastic!

PyroGyro, thanks. I was pleased how that song came out too. I certainly was a cue burner but I think it was worth it. Plus I have 2 wood fan racks I made a few years back that worked well for this sequence. I bounced back and forth on those with an 18m on one and slat on the other. My garage set up friend did the fusing on that one this year, probably took him 3 hrs to do both of them for about 5 secs of show lol.

IndianaPH
07-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Great show Ed. After doing my first electronically fired show this year, yes, you are very lucky to have as much help as you have for your show. I am going to try a pyromusical next year and will probably steal some of your ideas from this show and last year's show. Thanks in advance for the help. How did the Big Time Pyro 40 shot racks work out for you this year? I am looking at options for single shot racks and saw your assembly video and addition of the 36S slat. I was contemplating doing the same and was wondering what your thoughts are now that you used them for a show. Again, great show and thanks for sharing.

esgrillo
07-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Great show Ed. After doing my first electronically fired show this year, yes, you are very lucky to have as much help as you have for your show. I am going to try a pyromusical next year and will probably steal some of your ideas from this show and last year's show. Thanks in advance for the help. How did the Big Time Pyro 40 shot racks work out for you this year? I am looking at options for single shot racks and saw your assembly video and addition of the 36S slat. I was contemplating doing the same and was wondering what your thoughts are now that you used them for a show. Again, great show and thanks for sharing.

IndianaPH, they worked good. I think overall it takes more time to load than a tube rack because you have to zip tie vs noodle and most 50mm mines will fit perfect in a tube rack so you just drop them in. Overall I like both styles but the Big Time Pyro racks will fit the lager 76mm mines and the tube will not so that was the deal maker for me. Also the footprint for the 40 BTP rack is really big. About 50% bigger I would estimate than a 35 shot tube rack so you have to keep that in mind for your layout planning.

Stormcrow
07-11-2020, 11:19 PM
Loved it. Your show is always what I aspire to be. Thanks for sharing. The lights on the smoke this year was well done. Def leopard you nailed it. I’m not crying you’re crying.

IndianaPH
07-11-2020, 11:33 PM
IndianaPH, they worked good. I think overall it takes more time to load than a tube rack because you have to zip tie vs noodle and most 50mm mines will fit perfect in a tube rack so you just drop them in. Overall I like both styles but the Big Time Pyro racks will fit the lager 76mm mines and the tube will not so that was the deal maker for me. Also the footprint for the 40 BTP rack is really big. About 50% bigger I would estimate than a 35 shot tube rack so you have to keep that in mind for your layout planning.

Thanks Ed.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-12-2020, 12:47 AM
Rick thank you my friend. I am fortunate to have a crew willing to help and actually have been doing it long enough that there are 2 others that I trust terminating into a mod so that is a huge help set up day. One is Reed S who is on this forum occasionally who is also a Cobra expert. Having him on set up day and shoot day saves HOURS of set up time and prevents me from skipping steps especially on shoot day. We all know shoot day is insane especially if you are hosting a party at your house like I do. It is really easy to miss something. I really feel for guys/gals that struggle getting help. I am in the fortunate few category with that.

You can see I stole some of your ideas/product for the finale and I think it really helped that section. Much appreciated.

Oh what I wouldn't give for an experienced setup crew. I have 3 guys that routinely show up to help, including "one arm Bill." As he tells me all the time, he's always willing to lend a hand, but just one! The other two are getting better, but they're as old as I am, and as far as they know, Cobra is a snake. So... It's tough. But we get through it.

To hear my little show was inspiration to help with your finale is awesome! I'll take it!! Buddy I'll be honest, I don't know how you're going to top this one next year. But I have a feeling you will. I know I'm looking forward to it already. :cool:

esgrillo
07-13-2020, 03:06 AM
You win... again.

My hero...

lol thanks AxeElf

Mattp
07-13-2020, 12:22 PM
it is absolutely amazing how you continue to out do yourself each year... i cant even pick one part to say how great it was.. because from beginning to end was just jaw dropping ... you are a true artist at painting the sky!!!!! AMAZING!!!!

Texan Gringos
07-14-2020, 09:24 AM
WOW, just freaking WOW! Outstanding show, loved the Sinatra.

esgrillo
07-14-2020, 03:02 PM
it is absolutely amazing how you continue to out do yourself each year... i cant even pick one part to say how great it was.. because from beginning to end was just jaw dropping ... you are a true artist at painting the sky!!!!! AMAZING!!!!

Matt, thanks for the kinds words. Much appreciated.

esgrillo
07-15-2020, 08:14 AM
WOW, just freaking WOW! Outstanding show, loved the Sinatra.

Thanks TX Gringo, much appreciated. What part of TX are you located?

esgrillo
07-16-2020, 07:55 AM
Another awesome show Ed! Also kudos to your crew! You're a lucky man to have a crew you can trust. I could go on and on but I'll leave it awesome!

Thanks birdman. I have a great crew. Really am lucky in that regard.

Texan Gringos
07-16-2020, 08:32 AM
I'm east of Houston in Crosby

FWGuy
07-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Am going to stop watching these shows...the bar is getting raised higher and higher along with the budget for next year ;).

WithReport
07-18-2020, 01:41 AM
Great show and seeing all the setup photos are great. It's so much work and it looked like you had a lot of great help. fantastic!

esgrillo
07-18-2020, 11:44 AM
I'm east of Houston in Crosby

Gringo good deal. I organize group buys from 76 and Fireworks Forever for a couple of guys in our area. Not sure if you do much buying but my 76 price level is Special Order which is way lower than anything they publish online. Its all early order timing in Dec/Jan, let me know if you are interested in more details. PM me.

esgrillo
07-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Oh what I wouldn't give for an experienced setup crew. I have 3 guys that routinely show up to help, including "one arm Bill." As he tells me all the time, he's always willing to lend a hand, but just one! The other two are getting better, but they're as old as I am, and as far as they know, Cobra is a snake. So... It's tough. But we get through it.

To hear my little show was inspiration to help with your finale is awesome! I'll take it!! Buddy I'll be honest, I don't know how you're going to top this one next year. But I have a feeling you will. I know I'm looking forward to it already. :cool:

Rick lol I feel for you. already grinding through some potential songs in my head... have a couple of good ones so far I think.

Hey sent you a PM... check it out.

esgrillo
07-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Am going to stop watching these shows...the bar is getting raised higher and higher along with the budget for next year ;).

LOL FW thanks. It is a challenge trying to think of new things... I get a lot of ideas from other shows too.

Never to early to start thinking about next year..... which I have.... XLR upgrade to audiobox, better location for my laser since it was hard to see.... figure out something new for my ring around the lake , and music selection is already underway... I am really liking a new one by Audiomachine for an opener.... We are Gods... one of those epic ones with a slow start and really hard beats as it gets faster.... always thinking lol

IndianaPH
07-22-2020, 10:37 AM
LOL FW thanks. It is a challenge trying to think of new things... I get a lot of ideas from other shows too.

If you are taking requests, I would like to see an 800' comet run around the pond.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2020, 01:10 AM
Rick lol I feel for you. already grinding through some potential songs in my head... have a couple of good ones so far I think.

Hey sent you a PM... check it out.

Sorry about the delay in responding buddy. Been up to my nose in school work. Let me know if that's the info you needed.

AxeElf
07-23-2020, 01:32 AM
@esgrillo

I know you're probably NOT taking requests, but then again, I ain't too proud to beg...

I just realized tonight that if I ever rubbed a bottle rocket and a genie came out, my fireworks dream would be to have someone like you bring to bear the skill, the gizmos, and the product to choreograph something really special to this song (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dNfA4PuCckDV9hLjwJ1qCRko5xsvnXHd/view?usp=sharing). (That's my cut of it; not the full version.)

esgrillo
07-29-2020, 08:47 AM
If you are taking requests, I would like to see an 800' comet run around the pond.

now that sounds interesting! Only problem is that all stations fire at the same time. I think I'll workout something larger than just the strobes next time though.

FWGuy
07-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Yeah...Ed...get to working on topping on your last show ;).