PDA

View Full Version : Talon secondary failure

Ciscosteve
07-10-2020, 04:51 AM
Over the past few years I have been using talon ignitors (both speaker connect and quick connect), and I have seen the failures when hooking them up as there are quite a few but I cannot seem to understand how some can fail later in the day after testing good earlier.
I guess I want to make sure I'm not missing something as I have had some shows that earlier in the day tested just fine but then 10 minutes before show time all of a sudden do not show continuity and i have to do a quick replacement before show time.
I know MJG are good to use for cakes, slices, and single shots but I use a lot of shells fused together and the Talons would be nice to use if they worked.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 05:37 AM
I have had too many fail and ruin my displays. When doing some testing I had none work. I will never use them again. I just bought a bunch a MJG clips and igniters for next time.

gnavarr
07-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Over the past few years I have been using talon ignitors (both speaker connect and quick connect), and I have seen the failures when hooking them up as there are quite a few but I cannot seem to understand how some can fail later in the day after testing good earlier.
I guess I want to make sure I'm not missing something as I have had some shows that earlier in the day tested just fine but then 10 minutes before show time all of a sudden do not show continuity and i have to do a quick replacement before show time.
I know MJG are good to use for cakes, slices, and single shots but I use a lot of shells fused together and the Talons would be nice to use if they worked.

Could be something as simple as a slight movement. As for the MJG Initiators, you can easily secure those to whatever fuse you're using to chain shells together.

joewad
07-10-2020, 11:43 AM
I'd place my negative comment again about my epic failure and later ban of using Talons but those posts seem to get deleted. First year great, second year 30% failure minimum. Initiators and e-match from here on out, even 1.75 color canisters. For my racks of color canisters I still fuse but add initiator or e-match buried in a short strip of quick-match to get it going.

tonyr
07-10-2020, 01:42 PM
I had initially bought talons for my show but luckily came across a guy selling initiators a few days before the fourth. However as I was not all that certain with my poking skills I doubled up and used the talons as a backup. When I poked the cakes I left the fuse so each cake had 2 sources of ignition. I probably won't do this again as I am pretty certain all the cakes ignited from the initiators but it gave me some confidence going in to the show.