PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mine Mystery

Salutecake
07-08-2020, 11:37 AM
So, the third year for setting off a 4 and 6 inch gas mine. Always successful until this year with the 6" mine. The 4" went off perfectly but we never saw the 6" go off. After the show we kind of expected that perhaps water leaked into the charge and it didn't go off. But - the charge did go off - and there was nothing left in the tube. Same mix of every thing that we have used before. Any ideas why the powder went off but no flame, to little titanium? Too much? Also no gasoline smell or residue. Very Odd.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-08-2020, 08:18 PM
We never use titanium and have never had an issue with ignition. Straight 2FA powder. And we have shot a lot of gas mines--up to 12".
It is odd that that you had an empty gun--I would suspect a leak at the weld on the bottom plate. Fill it with water and see if it leaks. The gas would evaporate on the ground fairly quickly--especially on a hot day, so, if it was set up a couple hours before show time that might be the culprit.
Are you using a water slug in the bottom of the mine?

Salutecake
07-08-2020, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the reply! Using a water slug - both the large and small gas mine were out from about 6PM till ignition 930 ish. Both had foil on top, the little one went off perfect the large well still a mystery. If it was me that took care of it, I could almost say if forgot to fill it up with gas, but I did supervise and it was filled, lol. Now I waiting for a video that was taken, they say they have the small one going off but nothing on the larger one. they were probably within a foot of each other - I wonder if the blast of the little gut did something to the 6" mine. Forensic stuff, lol.