PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon fail

Dash
07-07-2020, 04:37 PM
I guess it's time for me to step up my game is even more to the ematches because my red dragon igniters failed to light 40% my show the audience loved it but they don't know what I know.... I can't wait to get my hands on that Firefly but in the meantime nothing but ematches from now on

BeerGuyEd
07-07-2020, 04:42 PM
The recurring themes of the forums the week after 7/4.

1. New threads showing off everyone's show
2. New threads talking about how talon type igniters don't seem to be very consistent.

Personally I have never used them but I have not had any issues with the MJG initiators. I can't recommend them enough.

AxeElf
07-07-2020, 08:10 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on that Firefly but in the meantime nothing but ematches from now on

I looked at a Firefly a year ago, but in the end I went with the Chinese 1200 cue system. 15 cues for over $200 just didn't seem very cost effective.

CozmicRooster
07-07-2020, 08:18 PM
I’m looking at options for next year. The new Firefly looks much better (upgraded to WiFi with 300ft range now) but the 15 cues is very limiting. The one thing that keeps me looking though is the musical timing feature. I can get 2 units for less than $500, use some creative fusing combined with the 15 cues, and have it all still time out with music. Any other system with programmability and musical synchronization is like $1200 minimum.

AxeElf
07-07-2020, 08:43 PM
I’m looking at options for next year. The new Firefly looks much better (upgraded to WiFi with 300ft range now) but the 15 cues is very limiting. The one thing that keeps me looking though is the musical timing feature. I can get 2 units for less than $500, use some creative fusing combined with the 15 cues, and have it all still time out with music. Any other system with programmability and musical synchronization is like $1200 minimum.

For $200 on eBay you can get a Chinese system with 60 cues. It's so much easier having more cues and less fusing to worry about. I do pyromusicals too, so that was also a feature that intrigued me, but I seem to be doing pretty well without any kind of musical synchronization programming. I just have a cue list and hit the buttons in time to the music myself (my video from this year is posted)--so yeah, it's not worth adding that for $1200. I see the Firefly more as a toy than a tool.

But hey, if you end up with one, I'd definitely be interested to hear how you like it.

CozmicRooster
07-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it?s a real toss-up. I had my mind set on a 72 cue Chinese system for a while but my concern is being able to enjoy the show while having my head in the cue sheet and eye on the timer. How does that work out for you? Are you able to sufficiently enjoy the show in real-time?

AxeElf
07-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it?s a real toss-up. I had my mind set on a 72 cue Chinese system for a while but my concern is being able to enjoy the show while having my head in the cue sheet and eye on the timer. How does that work out for you? Are you able to sufficiently enjoy the show in real-time?

Well, I won't say it's not an issue live, but I feel like I work the show live while filming it, and then I enjoy the show later. It's maybe not the best, but at least I feel like I'm involved. Pressing one button to start the show and then watching it all play out live does sound appealing, but really, how often does everything go as planned? At least if I have manual control I can try to compensate when something does not.

Plus I'm not into such precise cuing that I have to fire every single shot myself; most of my cues are tied to cakes that last from 20 to 60 seconds, so once you hit a cue you usually have SOME time to enjoy the result. If you're going to be limited on cues, you probably won't have to worry about timing individual shots either.

So I guess it's about your comfort level and your desire to watch the show you created live. Yes, you'll probly miss about half of it if you're shooting cakes manually--but you'll also know when to watch...

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:06 AM
Same here, I would get lot of remote units. The 60 cues one seem to have the best price right now but if you are a serious users get the 120 cue one. I use a lot of fusing too. I was thinking of getting a EMB12 to try for when I want to control timing as part of mortar sequence using more then just a lot if fusing. I do not have several grand to spend on a Cobra for the few legal days I have available. I can set up ahead of time and be all relaxed and double check. I use plywood too.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:10 AM
Trust me it is a lot more relaxing. I still hand fire with a propane torch early on for single cakes. I also video. So I can sit at the camera and just push buttons.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:14 AM
I am at 84 cues, I probably will need more next year since I have part where I need all 12 to light off spread items at three locations which use more units. That will put me over $300. If I were to buy today I would get the 120 cur system for $300 from the beginning but two years ago not too many people were using them and I wanted to test them first.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:15 AM
I had problems the last two years. I used none this year.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Yeah, it I could do fireworks once a month I would get one and try out some stuff but not with the limits on me now. Oh well, Halloween is only a few more months.