PDA

View Full Version : DR11 tubes

barehm
07-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Hello everyone,

I've currently got 50 15" DR 11 tubes I bought from a wholesaler that came with wood plugs. However, I'm interested in trying to build some of my own since I've got a plumbing supply that can source PE 4710 SDR 11 2" pipe for me.

Two questions:

1) The Spec sheet (attached) 5167 indicates the ID of the pipe is 1.943". This is mathematically perfect as OD - 2 x Wall = 1.943". However, in most of the other spec sheets I've looked at, the ID is listed as 1.917". This doesn't typically make sense when I do the math, but perhaps it's a manufacturing tolerance issue. Regardless, my question is whether the pipe associated with the PDF that specifies an ID of 1.943" is appropriate to purchase? Or if I need to keep searching elsewhere.

2) Does anyone have suggestions on a saw blade to cut the pipe with a miter saw? I don't want to melt the plastic.

thanks for your input!

Arclight
07-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Powered miter saws cut plastic very cleanly. It only melts if you use a very fine-toothed blade like a hacksaw and don't feed at a constant rate. Just use a normal bade like you would for crown molding.

Theinkdon
07-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Have you thought about how you're going to make the plugs, and the cost of all the materials PLUS your time? I've got saws and a drill press and a wood lathe and orange DR11 pipe laying all over my unfinished subdivision, but it's not even worth it to me to pick up and drag home for free if I can buy ready-to-go mortars from Pyroboom.com for $2.05 (cheaper if you buy 80 or more). Shipping from them in Loveland, OH to me in Atlanta is only $39 for 100, so $2.34 each isn't worth my time, let alone the materials. (Cutting the pipe is easy; it's the plugs that would take a while.)
I admire your willingness to DIY, but figure out what the pipe is going to cost you (including sales tax), and the wood, and the hole saw(s) if you think you can get one the right size, or resharpening lathe chisels, and I think you'll find that buying them pre-made doesn't look so bad. Best of luck whichever way you go.

barehm
07-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Great question/observation - I can get 100' for about $150 and was going to order wood plugs from midwestwoodspecialities.com for $0.36 cents. So definitely butting up against the cost you mentioned if I make 80 15" mortars. I'll look around at the options for pre-fabricated more carefully before I embark on an effort to build these from scratch.

Theinkdon
07-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Glad I was able to maybe put in perspective for you. When I posted that I'd totally forgotten you said you already had 50 tubes from a wholesaler, so you kind of already knew what they cost. It sounds like the tubes would cost you $1.50 apiece plus you'd have to cut and debur them. 36 cents per plug probably doesn't include shipping, so there's another cost (and more labor to install and secure them). So yeah, by then you're real close to what you could just buy them for. A couple weeks ago I did some research for 100 more tubes for next year, and Pyroboom (a sponsor here) had the best price at 1.95 per. Some other prices I found were 2.00, 2.25, 2.35, and 2.75. All plus shipping, so with Pyroboom at 1.95 each I didn't even try to find out what shipping was at those places, because it likely wasn't going to be much cheaper.

joewad
07-08-2020, 03:07 PM
I've always had great luck working with Eric from Pyroboom. Quick on the shipping as well. FYI: Since you're already paying fo rth eshipping look elsewhere at Pyroboom to add to package. I always try to remember to get one of their hats, priced real well. And if I remember correctly his poking awl is one of the cheaper around.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 05:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I've currently got 50 15" DR 11 tubes I bought from a wholesaler that came with wood plugs. However, I'm interested in trying to build some of my own since I've got a plumbing supply that can source PE 4710 SDR 11 2" pipe for me.

Two questions:

1) The Spec sheet (attached) 5167 indicates the ID of the pipe is 1.943". This is mathematically perfect as OD - 2 x Wall = 1.943". However, in most of the other spec sheets I've looked at, the ID is listed as 1.917". This doesn't typically make sense when I do the math, but perhaps it's a manufacturing tolerance issue. Regardless, my question is whether the pipe associated with the PDF that specifies an ID of 1.943" is appropriate to purchase? Or if I need to keep searching elsewhere.

2) Does anyone have suggestions on a saw blade to cut the pipe with a miter saw? I don't want to melt the plastic.

thanks for your input!

Any fine toothed blade will work. Just make sure it is well secured. I use Diablo blade myself. Never skimp and them. ABS cuts like butter as doe electrical conduit whatever it is made up. The only plastic that is a problem would be Polycarbonate (which is very hard and chips) or Acrylic which can either chip or crack. You have to use special tools on them. I have special drill bits and blades for those.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 05:16 AM
Glad I was able to maybe put in perspective for you. When I posted that I'd totally forgotten you said you already had 50 tubes from a wholesaler, so you kind of already knew what they cost. It sounds like the tubes would cost you $1.50 apiece plus you'd have to cut and debur them. 36 cents per plug probably doesn't include shipping, so there's another cost (and more labor to install and secure them). So yeah, by then you're real close to what you could just buy them for. A couple weeks ago I did some research for 100 more tubes for next year, and Pyroboom (a sponsor here) had the best price at 1.95 per. Some other prices I found were 2.00, 2.25, 2.35, and 2.75. All plus shipping, so with Pyroboom at 1.95 each I didn't even try to find out what shipping was at those places, because it likely wasn't going to be much cheaper.

Deburring is easy. Pyroboom does not deburr theri tubes. It spend a lot of time deburring and sanding their lousy tubes. I bought from Platte River the next time and they needed no fixing and did not look like that were kept under a pile of brick like the pyroboom garbage I was sent. Pyroboom could not even get their plugs in straight. It was worth the extra nickle to avoid getting crappy tubes. Their shipping was much les too so I paid less for better tubes from Platte River. I would never get those crappy DR11 tubes Pyroboom me.