PDA

View Full Version : Backyard 4th of July 2020 first timer.

CozmicRooster
07-06-2020, 09:11 AM
Until this year I?ve just been lighting random cakes and maybe some shells. Last year I built a 25 shot crate as an experiment and it was pretty cool. I learned a lot on these forums over the last year and spent some time putting this show together. I was hoping to have a firing system but ran out of time (and money) so I laid it out and fused it all up.

I?m very happy with the result, although there were a couple of sky puke moments. The first video is an overview of the boards with commentary. Pay no mind to the ?Roman Cannon? lying on the first board; it was not part of the big show. After I shot the video I taped up the fusing with masking tape to avoid sparking.

Thanks again AFW/ WFBoom.com for the Display Fireworks DF1 Pallet. The only downside to the pallet order is you end up with a lot of the same thing. The pallet was split 3 ways with a couple friends and I still had a case of OG Pyro and a case of Storm Surge left over (saving for next year of course). I tried to mix things up a bit in the show to not be repetitive. Very high quality cakes, with high breaks and vivid colors. The Willow Beach was particularly impressive. They went very high and the breaks practically covered your entire field of vision.

The tubes for the milk crate racks and all the shells were purchased from Platte River Fireworks in Wisconsin. If anyone is in driving distance he runs a quality operation there.

Show list:
Fire and Ice Fountain
2x Neon Jelly Bean Fountains
2x OG Pyro
Milk Crate 25 shot single fused at 10s/ft
2x Storm Surge
Willow Beach
Triple Crate - 2 rows double fused starting from opposite ends then quick fuse to mines/tails false finale
Second Board:
2x OG Pyro with a Willow Beach
Double Crate - 1 row doubles and 1 row triples
2x Willow Beach with 3 crate finale

I welcome any critiques and advice. Next year I plan on having a firing system and maybe even putting together a pyro-musical. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bdp2-G1AdCY

https://youtu.be/K9bHgpPqBCc

Icooclast
07-06-2020, 09:46 AM
that was a really good display. congrats :)

mikepete777
07-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Nice job on your 1st show

Jay_
07-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Great product selection and show! Mortars and NOAB's for days. Did i see a nuclear sunrise or two in there? Whatever nishiki cakes those are were legit!

Love it...I heard "your daddy spent a lot of time and money on this"

patsy
07-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Beautiful Show:D!!!.
Great job on your first :D
Love seeing everyones set up and shows.

CozmicRooster
07-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Great product selection and show! Mortars and NOAB's for days. Did i see a nuclear sunrise or two in there? Whatever nishiki cakes those are were legit!

Love it...I heard "your daddy spent a lot of time and money on this"

Thanks. And the screaming child at 4:30 and 4:50 is my 7 year old daughter LOL. She loves the idea of fireworks and it wasn’t so much the noice but I think it was just a lot of shock and awe for her.

The Nishikis were the Willow Beach NOAB by AFW. Super impressed with that one. Definitely my favorite of the show, and I’ll be buying a few more cases of those for next year. I was really happy with all the products except the mines. The only mines I was able to find was a box of Black Cat 1/2 mines and 1/2 tails. The tails were pretty good but the mines not so much, but I did shoot them out of the same sized tube so that could be an issue as well. That’s one of the things I’ll be researching for next year.

BTW, thx for the YT comment deucedropper lmao.

Mattp
07-06-2020, 07:04 PM
another very impressive show for an all fuse... i was a little worried when i saw the length of some of those fuses... but really worked out nicely!!!! with that product line up, almost like you were sponsored or something...LOL... but yeah im definitely going to have to get some of those willow beaches.. very nice... GREAT JOB!!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2020, 01:17 AM
Very nice! Great mix of effects. It could be my perception is off, but it looked like you guys were sitting pretty close to the effects. My only suggestion is you should take a look and see if you can put more room between you and the show.

CozmicRooster
07-07-2020, 07:42 AM
Very nice! Great mix of effects. It could be my perception is off, but it looked like you guys were sitting pretty close to the effects. My only suggestion is you should take a look and see if you can put more room between you and the show.

Yeah, we were about 200-250ft away. I honestly wasn?t expecting such large breaks. It was pretty epic though, everyone loved it, except of course my 7 year old lol. Next year I think we?ll have a new shoot site at a friend?s place; 35 acres and very large pond. Going to try a musical with 2-3 remote board locations. Would love to invest in a Cobra but that price tag is a hard pill to swallow.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up with a lot of the same product so I tried to mix up the combos so it didn?t seem repetitive. The crate racks went a long way to keeping it interesting.

PyroGyro
07-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Great show, loved the attention to detail in your fusing and the idea of the fountain to start with breaks over the top was cool too.

hatsgoods
07-08-2020, 05:13 PM
if gonna do a pyro musical then all that fuse laying on the ground got to go. no way you'll do any timing on that. you'll need a firing system and firewire ematch type inghtors. just my 2 cents of being a 14 year seasoned pyro vet.

CozmicRooster
07-08-2020, 10:24 PM
if gonna do a pyro musical then all that fuse laying on the ground got to go. no way you'll do any timing on that. you'll need a firing system and firewire ematch type inghtors. just my 2 cents of being a 14 year seasoned pyro vet.

Oh yeah, definitely getting a firing system. There’s no way you could make a musical stay synced with straight fuse. I was hoping to have one this year but the budget got tight and I ran out of time.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:22 AM
Main advise about light would be to only use a self lighting and self stopping propane torch (about $40) or firing system. All other methods have safely issues. I wasted years trying everything else and regretting it.

AquaticPyro
07-10-2020, 06:25 AM
I only use fusing for groups of cakes, 2 (typically) to 8. Anything over about 4 gets risky of an error. The 8 cake section had 7 go off. Oh well, I will try it again. Same thing last year but a different cake.