PDA

View Full Version : Jays 2020 pyromusical

Jay_
07-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Did have 2 dark sky moments that I did edit out. The one in the finale was a pair of Oink Oinks that were supposed to fill 55 seconds. Not sure what i was thinking when I didn't script any cover cakes for it.

I had 3 pairs of alternate cakes and shot them all during the first song. Not sure what happened on them, and will never really know as I did have help to disassemble everything.

Anyway, not too bad overall. I'm pleased with it.

https://vimeo.com/435517397

chetubet
07-05-2020, 02:09 PM
That was awesome. Nice work!

Jay_
07-05-2020, 07:53 PM
Thanks man, appreciate it!

Mattp
07-05-2020, 08:50 PM
I have a lot to say about that show... HOLY $#/T .... that was Amazing... what a great shoot site.. was that pretty much much every pro and single shot item they make?? LOL... I’m having anxiety just thinking about all the wiring that must’ve been ... did you have any setup pics,, and can you share your product list ... and towards the end what happened there did one cake tip over?? I know you said you did some editing.. but I’m sure the little bit of blank sky was far overshadowed by how awesome that show was

Mattp
07-05-2020, 09:01 PM
And one more thing.... deuce dropper...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Jay_
07-05-2020, 09:33 PM
I have a lot to say about that show... HOLY $#/T .... that was Amazing... what a great shoot site.. was that pretty much much every pro and single shot item they make?? LOL... I?m having anxiety just thinking about all the wiring that must?ve been ... did you have any setup pics,, and can you share your product list ... and towards the end what happened there did one cake tip over?? I know you said you did some editing.. but I?m sure the little bit of blank sky was far overshadowed by how awesome that show was

Thank you so much Matt!

Because they were waiting on containers to arrive, I didn't take delivery of my wholesale until June 22nd. I started working on it on June 26th and ground for the better part of 8 days on it wiring it up and putting it together. Let me tell you I am EXAUSTED today. This will be the last time that I do a show of this size by myself. I have to give props to the wife though, she was right there with me packing the boards out there with a heat index of around 108*. Most of the boards were packed and very heavy, but the worst part was wrapping the tarps around everything and securing them. That sucked. We started hauling boards on July 2nd, and its 16 miles from my house to the shoot site.

I don't necessarily have any setup pics. All the pics I have are the ones below.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5151&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5152&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5153&stc=1

The cake(s) that tipped over were do to a board breaking. I had the boards screwed down to pallets and did not have enough respect for the recoil of the cakes as they shot. I had one on the very outside corner of a board and it broke it off, tipping over 2 cakes. Luckily there was enough junk in front of it to keep from causing any harm. We are also 100 yards away from the fireworks so it did reduce the risk of catastrophe.

If I can figure out how to share a product list, I would be happy to do so. Ill work on that.

If I can figure out how to provide a product list from my script, I would be happy to do so.

Yeah the dark sky sucked, but we live and learn on that. Ill make adjustments next year and run no fewer than 10 alternate cakes.

Jay_
07-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Haha! Yeah I made the channel over 10 years ago. I have thought about changing the name, but I still like the ring of it.

Jay_
07-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Matt, here is a product list out of my script. Don't know how much usable information is here...but this is what i shot.

green strobe
Those brothers cakes
Purple comet/PFX92T
P5145 Amazing Ballet mini
Purple comet/King Kong Color
PFX546
PFX5438
W/C peacocks
Red comets V
PFX13FR-2/GM436
PFX50MN-Px4
PFX13FR-2
PFX50MN-Gx4
3 mine
PFX5113
Boom shaka(BS8002*) 2nd hole
Purple comets V
PFX13FR-20/Color Rage
Red comets
PFX13 FR-20
Blue 2" mine
PFX13 FR-3
Red 3" mine
PFX13FR-3/GM687x2
GM687
Blue 3" mine
5 slice
Blue Mine
Blue MIne
MS480
GM432
Flame Pot/PFX574
PFX15FR-RS single right
PFX15FR-RS single left
3" R->B
PFX15FR-RS single center
PFX15FR-RS both sides
White 3" mine
PFX50MN-GG-V
Nishiki Kamuro
Angle comet Red
Angle Comet Red
Angle comet Blue
PFX50MN-GG-B
Ghost Slice
PFX38-NV-125
PFX13FR-9 2
PFX13FR-19
PFX254/GM492
Mine
LOL
PFX590
Split Decision NOAB
Red Strobe
GTX3300
Fighting rooster
GM425
3 inch color
PFX13FR-10/Happy Hour
pfx15fr-v
PFX13FR-7
Always Dreaming
Blue comet/Tales from crypt
PFX92T
Incognito
PFX5FR-P Right only
PFX5FR-P Left only
PFX5FR-P Both Sides
PFX5FR-P Both sides
PFX5FR-W/Fruit cake
PFX5FR-W/Fruit cake
Gorilla Warfare
PFX13FR-12/Bad company
PFX30B
First in show
PFX13FR-6 14
PFX5FR-RC
Red Comet
Silver Comet
Blue Comet
PFX073
PFX13FR-6/Daddy-O
PFX5FR-P
Fire of Revenge
PFX13FR-12
GM693D
MS480/Nishiki Uppercut
PFX502
Hummer
King Kong
Double Barrel
New Blood
Oink oink
PFX13FR14
PFX198C5/GM692
Rooster cakes/double barrel
PFX13FR7/PFX13FR12
Beware
Academic Pyro
Jellyfish Aquairum
Split Decision/Mortar rack
Level The playing field
Bang Rack
Hero's farewell
3 bang
PFX548c

Mattp
07-06-2020, 12:44 PM
so like i said... you pretty much used every dominator pro and single shot item...LOL...and then some other stuff!!! thanks man... from that list i could look up what each one is... have a full year to do so..HAHAHA!!!

CozmicRooster
07-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Super awesome show! Props on the setup. Great shoot site too. Though I had plenty of space for my show some of the breaks went much further than I anticipated. Nice to have the extra space to let loose like that.

Big Worm
07-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Great job Jay! Really nice effects in there. Very nice setup looks like you were very busy this year.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-06-2020, 11:57 PM
Very nice show!! Very impressive selection of effects. I love the way you used the fans. As for setting up, I certainly feel your pain. It's no fun working in the heat. Working short-handed just makes things worse. hopefully you and the wife are both recovering okay. Overall, great show!

Jay_
07-07-2020, 05:54 AM
so like i said... you pretty much used every dominator pro and single shot item...LOL...and then some other stuff!!! thanks man... from that list i could look up what each one is... have a full year to do so..HAHAHA!!!

Ha! Not everything, but a bunch of it. Shot quite a few slices, I think 90 some. I learned from watching Ed's show that you absolutely positively can never use too many.

Jay_
07-07-2020, 05:56 AM
Super awesome show! Props on the setup. Great shoot site too. Though I had plenty of space for my show some of the breaks went much further than I anticipated. Nice to have the extra space to let loose like that.

Thanks man appreciate it! Yeah i could have gone wider and I wish i would have. Going to test for next year to see exactly how wide I can go before the view gets obstructed from the big tree on the left side.

Jay_
07-07-2020, 06:03 AM
Great job Jay! Really nice effects in there. Very nice setup looks like you were very busy this year.

Thanks Matt! Yes, very busy indeed. 8 days of grind to get it pulled off was brutal, but by next year I'm sure that my short term memory will lapse and I will turn around and do it again. Many things that I could have done different to make my life easier this year....but live and learn on that.

Jay_
07-07-2020, 06:15 AM
Very nice show!! Very impressive selection of effects. I love the way you used the fans. As for setting up, I certainly feel your pain. It's no fun working in the heat. Working short-handed just makes things worse. hopefully you and the wife are both recovering okay. Overall, great show!

Thank you Rick! I had originally planned to shoot comets in place of the slices in psycosocial, but after having a moment of clarity regarding the idea of using 170+ cues on one song I ended up subbing in the sweeps instead. Bad part is that I had already ordered my comets, so I have the better part of 5 cases of comets left over.

Yes believe me...Wifee and myself have taken the last 2 days to recover. Lots of sleep and Gatorade. I'm planning to buy trailers for next year and already on the hunt for some. Plan will be to build and tarp the outboard stations driven by the 72m(s?) on the trailers and just drag them out there. Probably will just buy 2 16 footers and use my smaller 12' trailer for center station stuff. Will still set the multi position front on the ground though.

jsifue2
07-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Awesome! Lots of cool effects in there, the finale was on point. :cool:

Jay_
07-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Awesome! Lots of cool effects in there, the finale was on point. :cool:

Thanks Brother, appreciate it! Wish my big cakes would have lit and not left the gap in the finale, but we did finish strong after the faux pas.

esgrillo
07-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Jay, watched it all really good stuff here. Nice layering high low and product selection . I love
Those dominator mine cakes.... had a bunch in my show.
Finale was really cool. I understand how much time it takes to choreograph to that level and it was worth it.

Jay_
07-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Jay, watched it all really good stuff here. Nice layering high low and product selection . I love
Those dominator mine cakes.... had a bunch in my show.
Finale was really cool. I understand how much time it takes to choreograph to that level and it was worth it.

Thank you so much Ed! I have learned so much just by watching your shows over, and over, and over. The triple GM687's at the end of blinding lights were actually a tribute to sky full of stars in your 2018 show. Still to this day i get teary-eyed when I see that portion of the show, as it was the absolute perfect effect to cover that portion of the song. I know you have done things a lot bigger and better than that, but its just one example of the attention to detail that you posses that I strive to emulate.

I feel like most of my mistakes (aka dark sky moments) are due to my crappy setup practices. Also I should have had way more alternate cakes, and cover cakes in my finale. I still had a handful of cues left and plenty of fireworks left to do that. Living and learning is tough, but I will just try to apply the lessons learned to next year's show.

I wish I would have tested the mine cakes before hand...hell I had plenty to burn, to get my timing on point with them. I felt like they were a little slow and I could have done better with them. But yes, I really dug them...great effect.

PyroGyro
07-07-2020, 06:41 PM
This is one of the top shows I've seen so far, I thought the effect combinations and timings were great. I'm not a huge fan of pyromusicals because I think a lot of them miss the mark, but this one didn't.

BeerGuyEd
07-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Just watched the whole thing and I was blown away. So much stuff going off all the time. I now officially
love mines.

Jay_
07-07-2020, 08:02 PM
This is one of the top shows I've seen so far, I thought the effect combinations and timings were great. I'm not a huge fan of pyromusicals because I think a lot of them miss the mark, but this one didn't.

Man I really appreciate that. Lots of time and effort into in and most of it went off like I wanted it to. Still learning a bunch every time a put a show together so hopefully someday I can pull off a flawless show that matches exactly what I have scripted. I guess that's why fireworks shows in general intrigue me, its extremely difficult to get everything right and you only get one shot to do so.

Thanks again for the kind words, It means a lot to me!

Jay_
07-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Just watched the whole thing and I was blown away. So much stuff going off all the time. I now officially
love mines.

Thank you Ed, I appreciate the compliments! Yeah man, mines are awesome and will spice up any show. esgrillo's show is always a great display into what you can do with mines.

You do need a lot of cues to do some serious mine work and I only have 234.

I don't know how many more modules if any that i will get going in to next year as I plan to convert all of my 18m's to quickplug slat units.

Im also going to get quickplug slats for my 72 and 36, along with lipo 12/24 upgrades for my 4 18m's that are still on the 9v batteries. By the time I get all of that and buy cables for everything, it will probably be about the same price as another 72m so I'm going to have to decide what I want to budget for electronics next year.

Also need to buy single effect racks for next year. I'm still rocking the pegboard racks that I made 3 years ago and they serve their purpose, but I did have a comet that got bumped on setup and shot at the wrong angle. That stuff drives me crazy!!

BeerGuyEd
07-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Im also going to get quickplug slats for my 72 and 36, along with lipo 12/24 upgrades for my 4 18m's that are still on the 9v batteries. By the time I get all of that and buy cables for everything, it will probably be about the same price as another 72m so I'm going to have to decide what I want to budget for electronics next year.

Also need to buy single effect racks for next year. I'm still rocking the pegboard racks that I made 3 years ago and they serve their purpose, but I did have a comet that got bumped on setup and shot at the wrong angle. That stuff drives me crazy!!

I hear you. I only have a 36M but I want to add quick plug terminals to the module and swap out my 3 36Ss for quick plug slats. Doing that and getting an Audiobox will probably be it for this next years Cobra purchases. Good news is that I had a lot of terminals on my slats with nothing but a jumper on them so it wouldn’t be hard to incorporate some mine cakes into the show.

Jay_
07-10-2020, 08:53 PM
You can do a ton with a single 36m, especially with 3 pairs of slats on it. I believe I’m going to use mine with 5 sets of slats to do most of my front stage next year.

The audio box for me....I love it, but it can be an extremely frustrating dude to work with. It’s just super picky about how it wants to be talked to. Cobra has very detailed instructions, and there are videos out there on how to make it jive, so as long as you give yourself plenty of time to work out the bugs you will be good to go on it. One missed step though, and you will be gritting your teeth and wanting to throw it into something :).