PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch rack build HDPE

Amaturepyro
07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has any schematics for a 5 shot, 3 inch rack using 3 inch, hdpe tubes.
I?m sure I can measure out what I need but just wanted to ask if anyone had built one And possibly had the plans and dimension For the wood pieces they could share with me
Thanks

Mattp
07-01-2020, 10:21 PM
For all the racks I?ve built... I should?ve wrote down the measurements.. even just for future reference to build more... but you right.. it is very simple math... and a 3? hdpe tube is perfectly the width of a typical 2x4... so all you need to worry about is the length.. and the height.. you want it to be a little shorter than the mortar.

joewad
07-01-2020, 10:32 PM
3 inch HDPE racks are the easiest racks to make, you do NOT have to rip a standard 2x4 at all. Find the Outer Dimensions of your pipe and then maybe add a 16th of an inch per gun (depending on how much "slop" you want. Now keep in mind these dimensions are for a rack with NO spacers. Now compute the overall length of your rack (including board thickness) and you can now make your side rails. Height of the end rails depends upon length of gun and how close you want it to the lip of gun. Personally, my side rails on 3 inch racks are about 3 inchs from th etop of the gun (your call). Some people use 3/4 plywood I believe while others use a standard 1x4 for the top and a 1x6 for the bottom side rail. Some people are pro spacers on 3 inch racks while others are not. Personally I prefer not so as to reduce the weight of the rack. With two (2) hernias, three (3) knee surgeries and one (1) aneurysm in life I tend to watch what I lift. So far, no impact upon the 12 ounce curls of the not so cheap domestic libation of choice I do for "therapy".

I'm sure others have exact dimensions to share but I got all my rack experience. 1.75" through 6" by doing it that way. Don't be afraid, document and then pull the trigger.

You may find this youtube video of interest, but they are for fiberglass guns it appears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyns0TrVws&feature=emb_logo

laquil
07-02-2020, 01:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNdu-UDwlo