PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Fireworks VS Florida?

Srkush7
07-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Hey all,
New here and just wanted to get some information regarding the difference between the types of fireworks in the different states!
I'm currently in Florida where the laws are flexible & we do have decent consumer fireworks..
Although I have heard if you want "larger" fireworks than you should head up to South Carolina...
If I'm interested in reloadable shells/ mortars,
Is there really that big of a difference to drive to go get some?
Are the laws different in each state?
Can i purchase mortars that are bigger than 1.4g?
Because the normal stores like Phantom fireworks & the tents sell them here.
Thank you very much for your help!

HGS01
07-01-2020, 08:43 PM
to my knowledge all 1.4g is gonna be roughly the same thing... you may get different colors and effects at other stores but overall you are gonna be stuck with the same legal limit of around 175 feet .... you can only purchase bigger shells that are bigger than 1.4g with a atf license that puts you into the 1.3g market ... the license will be issued at the atf discretion and they want you to have a basic knowledge in the 1.3g product line...best way to gain knowledge is join up with a local Display company and work under a licensed person for a few years to gain the knowledge of this industry

HGS01
07-01-2020, 08:45 PM
500 grams is the legal limit for cakes in the 1.4g class of product... anything over that... even 501 grams then it becomes
1.3g and then the atf type 54 license is needed to legally possess and shoot it

HGS01
07-01-2020, 08:48 PM
60 grams per shell is the limit for 1.4g also.. anything higher and then it becomes 1.3g

HGS01
07-01-2020, 08:52 PM
just to give a comparison... a 3 inch 1.3g shell has about 120 grams of total pyrotechnic composition verses the 60 grams in the 1.75 inch 1.4g shell

Srkush7
07-01-2020, 11:00 PM
Thank you all for the replies!
It makes sense that they would then be the same thing everywhere if its all the same guidelines...
& if a 3 inch 1.3g shell has 120 grams,
Does it still top out at 60 grams for a 3inch 1.4g shell?

Srkush7
07-01-2020, 11:03 PM
& last question. Does anybody know if its a thing or not..
Can you sometimes get larger fireworks equivalent to 1.3g's without having the permit?
Maybe at mom & pop stores or some tents? I'm not asking about the legality of things.

HGS01
07-01-2020, 11:34 PM
yes the "3 inch" consumer shell is nothing more than a 1.75 inch shell with extra packing or tape around the 1.75 inch to build the 3 inch ball to make it fit the pre packaged tube... don't be fooled... your still only getting a 1.75 inch shell... no you cant get nothing bigger than the 500 gram cakes or 60 gram shell kits... to pass the local laws and permits to sale to consumers everything is checked for compliance.... so only way to buy an illegal type shell is to find someone who builds it for you or to go to china lol but i wouldn't recommend.. things are done for a reason to assure its safe and not dangerous for the consumer... last thing you want is for it not to go up and blow off your arm or hand or kill you... i've seen many accidents in the industry from people not knowing enough and trying to get past the legal limit

HGS01
07-01-2020, 11:39 PM
if you think about it everything in a store like phantom fireworks are the same from state to state... warehouses are the same too.. ensuring all product is legal and safe... if warehouses had different items something would get messed up and shipped to the wrong store and hurt someone
only difference there is is that some states only allow ground sparklers and fountains.. if that's the case then phantom will only send that kind of products that store instead of cakes and shell kits and other ariel stuff

HGS01
07-01-2020, 11:43 PM
i know your referring to a mom and pop type store...but to still be able to sale anything like that they need a business license and an inspection from the local fire and police authority to make sure what they are offering is legal in and not illegal and to sale fireworks the atf and the local government stays on top doing bi yearly or yearly inspections to make sure they are still legal

Delloman
07-03-2020, 03:35 AM
You do not need a license to build your own fireworks this is the only legal way to get bigger stuff without 1.3 license i will be shooting 4 and 5 in as long as you dont take them off the property they where made on your not breaking any laws you will need a license to move them

Srkush7
07-05-2020, 02:54 AM
Thank you very much for the replies! Hope you guys had an awesome 4th! :)