PDA

View Full Version : Wake up pennsylvania!

Modmotor54
07-01-2020, 09:42 AM
You know this isn't the place to get into politics. But when it has to deal with the pyrotechnic community this is something that needs addressed. How long until we are not able to do anything in this state to celebrate our freedoms?!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/news/2020/06/pa-senate-passes-bill-giving-nine-communities-an-option-to-ban-fireworks-but-some-senators-favor-extending-it-statewide.html%3foutputType=amp

Salutecake
07-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Well, even before they became legal in PA, every year Mayors from cities across PA would always been on TV complaining about fireworks in their towns.
In some cases people probably have a legitimate gripe. Going well into the night, and night after night - I can see where people get aggravated. It doesn't bother most of us but think about it.

I think the part that gets me most mad about the US as a whole, is this thing about "We need to be Protected", from everything. Fireworks, guns, amusement parks, heck just going for a walk on a nature trail isn't easy. If you ever have traveled abroad, and visited some ancient ruins or walk a trail up a cliff, do you remember seeing warning signs posted all about, How about rope rails? How about the trail or paths that run from town to town up and down cliffs, do you remember seeing any Hand rails so you don't fall off? Here you would probably have to have a guide, take a test and wear a harness to walk from town to town.

Take a walk up to any entrance to PA's State Game lands -- read the signs there before you go in, I'm not sure if you are even allowed to breath once you set foot on the games lands. To many grumpy people, to many afraid people, to many attorneys, to many people thinking that the government needs to take care of them.

I don't mean to make this political either, but go back to my first sentence, complaints before they were legal in PA, now complaints when they are legal -------- and even if they go back and ban fireworks from PA, there will be complaints again because people are still going to light off fireworks, as long as you can get them somewhere. I bet in the future of PA fireworks, if they continue, you will have to take a course of some sort. Not a bad idea but to me many of the courses required to do anything are just a way to make money for someone. Time to stop -

chetubet
07-01-2020, 10:52 AM
I mean we was shooting fireworks in Philly for years before it became legal in 2017. I never once had an issue with cops. While I only shot on holidays or special occasions like when the Eagles won the SUPERBOWL!5115
This screenshot is from my citizens app after I shot fireworks last year when Eagles beat the Cowboys to clinch playoffs. lol

Birdman
07-01-2020, 12:18 PM
It's become an annual tradition for people to complain about fireworks and elected officials threatening to change the laws. What's being proposed will change nothing. Fireworks are already not legal to use in most of the problem areas that want to ban them. Notice they never talk seriously about banning sales and closing stores? The 7 million in tax revenue is just one part of the economic equation. The industry also creates jobs and you can't discount the economic impact those dollars have on the economy. The retailers are also paying other taxes associated with running a business. YOu have people traveling from out of town to shop that are visiting local restaurants gas stations etc. They aren't going to close down firework stores anymore than they are going to close down bars to combat drinking and driving.

I don't blame the politicians. They can't just ignore these complaints, especially in those districts where there is some legitimacy to them. Being a political observer my entire adult life I've learned to pay far less attention to what politicians say and much more attention to what they actually do. This song and dance plays out every summer in my city. We are constantly reminded that there is nowhere in the city it is legal to use fireworks yet there are 3 large stores within walking distance of my home. Not once have I heard any local politician suggest closing these stores.

I'll be the first to admit that many in my neighborhood are not being as respectful as they should be. Fireworks are a near nightly occurrence in some yards this time of year and they can be heard sporadically all hours of the night in all directions. It's been worse this year. I believe this is because of the lack of other entertainment options due to the pandemic. All of this will fade in the days and weeks after the 4th. So will the complaints and the threats by politicians to make meaningless changes to the laws.

Maksim
07-04-2020, 04:16 AM
It's become an annual tradition for people to complain about fireworks and elected officials threatening to change the laws. What's being proposed will change nothing. Fireworks are already not legal to use in most of the problem areas that want to ban them. Notice they never talk seriously about banning sales and closing stores? The 7 million in tax revenue is just one part of the economic equation. The industry also creates jobs and you can't discount the economic impact those dollars have on the economy. The retailers are also paying other taxes associated with running a business. YOu have people traveling from out of town to shop that are visiting local restaurants gas stations etc. They aren't going to close down firework stores anymore than they are going to close down bars to combat drinking and driving.

I don't blame the politicians. They can't just ignore these complaints, especially in those districts where there is some legitimacy to them. Being a political observer my entire adult life I've learned to pay far less attention to what politicians say and much more attention to what they actually do. This song and dance plays out every summer in my city. We are constantly reminded that there is nowhere in the city it is legal to use fireworks yet there are 3 large stores within walking distance of my home. Not once have I heard any local politician suggest closing these stores.

I'll be the first to admit that many in my neighborhood are not being as respectful as they should be. Fireworks are a near nightly occurrence in some yards this time of year and they can be heard sporadically all hours of the night in all directions. It's been worse this year. I believe this is because of the lack of other entertainment options due to the pandemic. All of this will fade in the days and weeks after the 4th. So will the complaints and the threats by politicians to make meaningless changes to the laws.

Where is it already illegal? Was not aware... figured you would have some towns with noise ordinances?