PDA

View Full Version : Mod wiring question

BeerGuyEd
06-29-2020, 03:53 PM
I think I know the answer to the question but I wanted to make sure from some folks with more experience.

The situation is I have 3 shooting areas that are not very far apart (25 ft.) and I have several cues that have multiple cakes/rakes going off at the same time. In the past I have always just connected them to the cue in parallel. I am trying to do things correctly and wire them in series so I can check for continuity. Is it acceptable to wire 2 items in series at each of the 3 shooting areas and run scab wire back to the mod and then connect the scab wire in series into the mod. The cue would fire 6 items, in theory, should all be connected in series from mod to match so I think it will work but I am not sure if I could run into a power/resistance issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

PyroGyro
06-29-2020, 04:17 PM
I think I know the answer to the question but I wanted to make sure from some folks with more experience.

The situation is I have 3 shooting areas that are not very far apart (25 ft.) and I have several cues that have multiple cakes/rakes going off at the same time. In the past I have always just connected them to the cue in parallel. I am trying to do things correctly and wire them in series so I can check for continuity. Is it acceptable to wire 2 items in series at each of the 3 shooting areas and run scab wire back to the mod and then connect the scab wire in series into the mod. The cue would fire 6 items, in theory, should all be connected in series from mod to match so I think it will work but I am not sure if I could run into a power/resistance issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Assuming you're using a Cobra, there should be no issue with this. I recently fired 6 matched cakes in series with 100ft of MJG wire(not sure what gauge it is). All that said I would still test it first but here's a Cobra link on the subject: https://help.cobrafiringsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/44001380462-continuity-clarified

Mississippipyro
06-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Hi Ed
I’m doing the exact same thing but using 9 positions. I did many test runs and it worked perfectly.

BeerGuyEd
06-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Assuming you're using a Cobra, there should be no issue with this. I recently fired 6 matched cakes in series with 100ft of MJG wire(not sure what gauge it is). All that said I would still test it first but here's a Cobra link on the subject: https://help.cobrafiringsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/44001380462-continuity-clarified

Thank you for the article. After I submitted the topic I knew I should of edited it to say I’m not using a Cobra system. I use a system from emyplay that has an external 12v battery for power. Hopefully next year I’ll get a Cobra but it’s not in the cards this year.

BeerGuyEd
06-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Hi Ed
I’m doing the exact same thing but using 9 positions. I did many test runs and it worked perfectly.

I’ll have to do some test runs to make sure it works. Good thing I have a lot of extra igniters.

joed2323
06-29-2020, 10:00 PM
if you were or are using cobra then yes. I've done it quite a few times off of the same module.

do you have extra matches and product to test with? hell use bottle rockets since those are the cheapest product you could use

if you don't have extra matches and bottle rockets or any product to burn up in a test then you and we all are just pissin in the wind

Mattp
06-29-2020, 10:11 PM
What you are saying.. in theory should work fine.. especially with an external 12v battery ... but yes, I would highly recommend doing a simple test run to make sure .. especially if you have plenty of initiators to test with

BeerGuyEd
06-30-2020, 09:12 PM
I did a test not a full show load test but I had 1 ematch on the first 11 cues and the 6 series wired up on the 12th cue including the scan wire runs that the show will use. No scab on the first 11 cues. All 6 of the igniters did go off but they were not nearly as large of a flame coming out. I used to seeing the flames shooting out of the shroud but this wasn’t near like that. I’m feeling nervous now. What do you all think?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-01-2020, 06:14 AM
My guess is it's an illusion. A little flame is like being a little pregnant. Either the igniter ignited or it didn't. The combustible material will either burn or it won't, and if it does burn, it will burn at the same rate regardless of how much or how little energy was used to ignite it.

That's what I think.

PyroGyro
07-01-2020, 08:27 AM
I did a test not a full show load test but I had 1 ematch on the first 11 cues and the 6 series wired up on the 12th cue including the scan wire runs that the show will use. No scab on the first 11 cues. All 6 of the igniters did go off but they were not nearly as large of a flame coming out. I used to seeing the flames shooting out of the shroud but this wasn?t near like that. I?m feeling nervous now. What do you all think?

What Rick said.

BeerGuyEd
07-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Well I think this situation has me worried enough to get a Cobra system. Fire or not I would not like to take a chance.