PDA

View Full Version : What do we think about wrapping PVC in duct tape

upNdown
06-28-2020, 10:28 AM
If the only pipe I can get in the right size is PVC, what do people think about shooting shells out of PVC pipe wrapped in duct tape?
I understandthat PVC shatters and for that reason, we don't want to use it. But has anybody considered or tried wrapping PVC in a few layers of duct tape? I'm trying to imagine how it would go 1f a shell exploded in the pipe, and I think the duct tape would solve the schrapnel problem.
Thoughts?

jamisonlm3
06-28-2020, 10:52 AM
I doubt duct tape will stop the fragmentation. The tape will tear apart and the adhesive most likely won't have the strength keep bonded to many pieces. Have you considered using a sort of sabot for your shells? This doesn't have to be anything fancy, but something to increase the diameter just enough would probably work.

Arclight
06-28-2020, 02:28 PM
I think the duct tape would just allow the PVC to reach a higher pressure before rupturing. PVC is banned from compressed air service unless buried because it shrapnels when it bursts and the fragments are also hard to find on X-Rays. Stick with ABS.

upNdown
06-28-2020, 03:53 PM
I doubt duct tape will stop the fragmentation. The tape will tear apart and the adhesive most likely won't have the strength keep bonded to many pieces. Have you considered using a sort of sabot for your shells? This doesn't have to be anything fancy, but something to increase the diameter just enough would probably work.

I've considered it. But these shells are pretty small - 1.4 inches, about. I think I'd have to add an awful lot of tape to a shell to make it fit a DR11 tube.

Fulliautomatix
06-28-2020, 06:34 PM
C'mon dude. You can get away being dumb with one thing or another. But you're stacking the tolerances here. You're in a state that fireworks are illegal, you're using tubes not designed for fireworks use, and by your own admission, you say your audience is half the distance away that they should be (http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8032-Your-Opinions-on-Milk-Crate-Racks-and-How-to-Use-Them-Properly&p=66190&viewfull=1#post66190).

That's a big point that I didn't mention. I don't have the distance - my crowd is generally about half as far away as they should be. So I'm constantly looking for belt and suspenders solutions.

You're pushing the envelope and someone is going to get hurt, which will only give ammunition to the negative Nancies, Karens and legislators to further crack down on people.

Devo
06-28-2020, 07:30 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I go with - "If I can't shoot safely, I don't shoot." If you can't get the correct tubes, maybe leave those shells for next year.

upNdown
06-28-2020, 07:41 PM
You guys have convinced me that PVC is just always a bad idea.

displayfireworks1
06-28-2020, 09:34 PM
I think the duct tape would just allow the PVC to reach a higher pressure before rupturing. PVC is banned from compressed air service unless buried because it shrapnels when it bursts and the fragments are also hard to find on X-Rays. Stick with ABS.

Time to learn new X-Ray words. LOL That is interesting that PVC is radiolucent and not radiopaque. Hope I said that correctly. LOL