PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Atlanta from a long-time lurker

Theinkdon
06-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Hello, everyone. My name's Mike and I've lived just outside of Atlanta for almost 9 years now. South Carolina for 17 years before that, 2 years in Yakima, WA, 6 years Navy before that, and grew up in Illinois.

I've always shot fireworks from a young age (I'm 56), but really only about 5 years ago discovered and bought any 500g cakes. That year we had a really fun Fourth, with a bunch of guys in the neighborhood shooting off whatever they had around our pool. Grilling, music, families, etc. That's when the bug really bit me. I'd always wanted to make fireworks, so I signed up at Ned Gorski's Fireworking.com, started out making rockets, learned how to make black powder and stars, and made a bunch of 2" and 3" canister shells, as well as some smaller stuff like strobe pots and fountains. Realized that was a lot of work, so in 2018 I made my first wholesale order, about $1400 worth of product. Wow, that was a lot of fun getting that pallet! Did a smallish Fourth show that year fusing everything together, and learned that was a lot of work and it didn't go so well, so I bought a Chinese firing system (I now have 2 consoles and I think 24 4-cue modules.). Practiced with that on New Year's and Memorial Day, then last year's Fourth had a big (for me) e-fired show for the neighborhood. (Supplemented my stash with a buy from a wholesaler in TN.) Here's a picture of the "sled" I made to get the show over to the shoot site, in case anyone's interested in this sort of idea:
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5074&stc=1
The top level lifts off and becomes its own platform, and the arms fold down on the sled. Each level has (3) 2'x2' plywood sheets I glue the cakes to, plus a 50-shot mortar fan rack I built. It's got fixed wheels at the back, and swiveling rubber casters up front. Tie a rope to it and it's easy to pull over to the shoot site. (Plus the rocket stand; I really like rockets.)

I've read a lot of other fireworks forums for the consumer side of things, but think I've settled in here now. I'm not doing a show this year because of Covid (I have 5 500g cakes and about 20 200g left over, as well as a bunch of rockets that I'll hand-light with the guys in the neighborhood), but in February I'm going to order from wfboom for the 40% discount. I've been reading here a lot lately what your guys' opinions of their products are, so thank you to those who've said. I had Brothers, Winda, and World Class product before, and did all the research about effects, timing, etc, so now I'm starting over with wfboom's product, but that's okay.

Sorry this was so long, but wanted to give an idea of my journey.

Mike in Atlanta

Rick_In_Tampa
06-28-2020, 06:01 AM
Mike! Welcome aboard. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the cart!! The ingenuity of pyros never ceases to amaze me. I am so jealous of that kind of talent. I tried building some comet racks a few years back, and all I did was make a pile of firewood.

In any event... Welcome to the boards! Sorry to hear you're not doing a show this year, but that seems to be the case with a lot of folks. Understandably so too. I guess it will just give you more planning time for next year! :cool:

Theinkdon
06-28-2020, 11:53 AM
Rick, thanks for the compliments on the cart. You're one of my favorite posters here, so that means a lot coming from you. It's really handy for my needs, and when I'm not using it I store it high up in the garage on a bike hoist. I'm constrained to an attached 2-car garage in a subdivision with houses 25' part, so I don't have a lot of room for pyro, either storing or shooting.
You're right about next year, I'm already planning to build 2 more 50-shot fan racks, and probably add another level to the cart so I can try left-center-right shooting next year. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!