View Full Version : Price shopping

ajmikola
06-25-2020, 03:22 PM
There are really only 2 big players in my area.

One has buy one get one free with much higher prices,
The other has lower prices, no buy one get one free but gives you 30% of fireworks if you spend between 1000-2000$

How can i compare the two with such variability, especially when the fireworks are completely different?

Mississippipyro
06-25-2020, 03:33 PM
I’m guessing, but I would say the one that gives the volume discount is the best deal.

Birdman
06-25-2020, 04:38 PM
You could compare by size (200gram, 350gram, 500gram etc), # of shots and type (Fan, zipper etc) of the cakes. I'm going to guess, too, that the one that gives the volume discount is the best deal.

psilynt
06-25-2020, 05:29 PM
There are really only 2 big players in my area.

One has buy one get one free with much higher prices,
The other has lower prices, no buy one get one free but gives you 30% of fireworks if you spend between 1000-2000$

How can i compare the two with such variability, especially when the fireworks are completely different?

B1G1 with artificially inflated prices just sounds a lot like buying two items to me. Personally I'd go to the 30% off location if for no other reason than because they're being upfront about their pricing instead of playing games with numbers to confuse people.

Icooclast
06-25-2020, 06:39 PM
B1G1 with artificially inflated prices just sounds a lot like buying two items to me. Personally I'd go to the 30% off location if for no other reason than because they're being upfront about their pricing instead of playing games with numbers to confuse people.

depends on how much you're buying. if you mee the min for the 30% discount, then it's the one you want to go with, heck it's still the one you want to go with. lol bogo is mostly a scam by any busyness. the prices are inflated a good bit and then put on bogo, more smoke-and-mirrors, as mentioned with the 5" & 6" reloadbiles. a reg shell and a 5, 6" shell is essentially the same, yet costs more, most of the time. stay clear of that. although wfboom's 2 for 1 tuesdays seem pretty good.

displayfireworks1
06-25-2020, 07:07 PM
There is only one thing you need to do to judge the price structure of the stores. Compare the price of one item in both locations. That item is the roll of 16k firecrackers in each store. The price of that item is usually reflective of the price of everything else.

PyroKing31
06-29-2020, 10:13 AM
There is only one thing you need to do to judge the price structure of the stores. Compare the price of one item in both locations. That item is the roll of 16k firecrackers in each store. The price of that item is usually reflective of the price of everything else.

I generally use Excals as the barometer. Almost everyone has them and its very indicative of the rest of the store.

Birdman
06-29-2020, 10:42 AM

I never thought to compare that product since I don't typically buy firecrackers. I did a quick comparison at a few stores I know well and, yes, that is a quick and easy way to compare prices. Great advice Dave!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-30-2020, 05:08 AM
I guess I'm going to go in a different direction then. IMHO, if the effects are crap, then it doesn't matter if they're cheap. The reverse is also true. So I usually start watching videos and I load everything I like into a spreadsheet. Price, number of cakes per case, number of cases, duration, mfg., etc. When I'm done, I look at the total price. If it's over budget, I start removing stuff. If it's under, I say.... Well, it's never been under so, forget that. Anyway... You can try that for both of your vendors and see what you come up with. See who gives you the most "stuff" for your money. Sometimes, it's not about quantity. It's about quality!

tonyr
06-30-2020, 08:24 AM
I guess I'm going to go in a different direction then. IMHO, if the effects are crap, then it doesn't matter if they're cheap. The reverse is also true. So I usually start watching videos and I load everything I like into a spreadsheet. Price, number of cakes per case, number of cases, duration, mfg., etc. When I'm done, I look at the total price. If it's over budget, I start removing stuff. If it's under, I say.... Well, it's never been under so, forget that. Anyway... You can try that for both of your vendors and see what you come up with. See who gives you the most "stuff" for your money. Sometimes, it's not about quantity. It's about quality!

Thanks for making me giggle this morning Rick. "If it's under, I say.... Well, it's never been under so, forget that." LOL.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-01-2020, 06:20 AM
Thanks for making me giggle this morning Rick. "If it's under, I say.... Well, it's never been under so, forget that." LOL.

Just keeping it real buddy. Just keeping it real....

DavidthePyro
07-01-2020, 07:36 AM
I could point you in the direction of a Dave Chappelle skit "when keeping it real goes wrong" but like you say, your wife isn't asking the budget and you don't have to lie to her. Was there ever a time you tried to keep it real with the wife and it went wrong? Maybe you were the inspiration for the skit, i know the the k in Rick now means $1000's. Haha

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2020, 08:33 AM
My wife and I just celebrated 36 years of marriage on June 29th. We've been together since we were 16. That's 41 years now. She survived my 22 year career in the military and all the separation and stupidity that came with that. So I'm not too worried about her leaving me if I disclose how much I spend on pyro. Having said that, I don't see any reason to poke the bear either. :cool:

DavidthePyro
07-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Well said, my friend

Icooclast
07-03-2020, 05:08 PM
My wife and I just celebrated 36 years of marriage on June 29th. We've been together since we were 16. That's 41 years now. She survived my 22 year career in the military and all the separation and stupidity that came with that. So I'm not too worried about her leaving me if I disclose how much I spend on pyro. Having said that, I don't see any reason to poke the bear either. :cool:

exactly: what they don't know, won't hurt us. lmao

Arclight
07-03-2020, 06:36 PM

It sounds like you should surprise her with a fireworks show for being the best wife ever!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-04-2020, 04:17 AM
Well said, my friend

Thank you Sir!

exactly: what they don't know, won't hurt us. lmao

Lol.. Exactly!!

It sounds like you should surprise her with a fireworks show for being the best wife ever!

She jammed 3 whole porkchops down the disposal 2 days ago and broke the thing. Water pouring everywhere. So I surprised her with a new disposal yesterday before her cousin's family showed up. :cool: Yeah, I know. It's just the kind of sweetheart guy I am.

Seriously... She's a keeper. Any woman that put up with the s--t I put her through and still be here.... wow.... I'm a lucky guy.

joewad
07-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again. When it comes to the pyro fiend and his better half, remember one thing: Make sure you have the Hallmark channel in your list of available channels for HER viewing pleasure.

Theinkdon
07-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Your store with BOGO is probably that ghost one. The other day I was reading a thread on Reddit where someone mentioned some names they carry that I recognized as Brothers products. Earlier that day I'd posted to someone that it was hard to compare prices at the BOGO place because as far as I knew, all their stuff was house-branded and who knows who makes it.

But when I found that mention of Brothers product I searched their website and found that they carry a number of cakes that I could cross-reference to my normal two suppliers, so I put together a little table. The wholesalers I've used aren't sponsors here (but I'm moving to wfboom next year because of all the good reviews here), so I'll keep this generic, but it points out how high their prices are. Even with their Buy One Get Two free coupons or specials they're high (and I don't know how much product you're allowed to buy on those).

The retail price from their website is listed, then I did the math for B1G1 and Buy One Get TWO. "A" is a wholesaler I used in 2018, and A-1 is their price if you buy by the case with no minimum required, while A-2 is their price if you buy >$1k (they ship, so you'd have to factor that in). B is a local wholesaler I used last year (they don't ship), but minimum purchase is only $300 for those prices, and you can buy SINGLES, you don't have to buy a case.

If you can't match any of those Brothers products to your "other" place, that should at least give you an idea of what the markup is at the BOGO place. I'm with the others: you'd probably be better off at your "30% off" place.

nightstalker
07-04-2020, 05:49 PM
I'm saying the 30% off place. Those BOGO make you buy 2. What if I only want one and don't like it. I ran into a place in NE Pa. last week that had BOG2 on most items and the price was high.