PDA

View Full Version : Is this rack safe??

Bman040
06-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Not new to fireworks but new to putting on a "show". This year the neighborhood is banding together for a private show since town shows are cancelled. I was nominated (ok, I volunteered) to run the show. I got 50 DR11 pre-plugged tubes with the intention of building the conventional mortar rack. Then a neighbor came forward with a pile of leftover 2" metal pipe straps, so we used them instead to hold the tubes in place. It seemed like a good idea...maybe even better? The straps hold the tube tightly in place. The "frame" is 2x4 with one going down the middle and the tubes are fastened to the 2x4s with the straps. They're held quite firmly in place. But now I have some doubt creeping into my mind - maybe there is supposed to be some wiggle in a rack? At ignition, do the tubes expand ever-so-slightly but maybe enough to pop the straps? I'm planning on a couple test shots but thought I'd ask the community for input. Don't want to risk any accidents. Hopefully the pics come through. http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5051&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5052&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5055&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5054&stc=1Cheers.

chetubet
06-25-2020, 10:44 AM
I'm no expert but I wouldn't mess with any metal pieces because of shrapnel risks. I would just stick to making your conventional wooden racks if you can. At very least you can try the building a couple milk crate racks if your audience is a safe enough distance back.

rfgonzo
06-25-2020, 11:56 AM
I personally wouldn't attempt to use them. Mainly for the same reason as chetubet stated. The other reason is lack of support of the mortars.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Very bad idea!!! Mortar tubes need to have a very sturdy piece of wood under the tubes to absorb the downward pressure of the ignition gasses, and, in the event of a "blowout" you will have shrapnel to be concerned about.
There are many tutorials on "how to build a rack" on YouTube--it is NOT difficult, and very inexpensive to do.
Stay safe, build the racks.
PS--I'm a No Go" on milk crate racks although there are many on here that use them and will tell you "they have not had an issue with them (YET)"......build the racks.

morrison2951
06-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Nope. No go. Wood racks and HDPE tubes for the win.

Icooclast
06-25-2020, 04:47 PM
you could also check out the racks at www.pyroboom.com if you don't want to mess with building them yourself

Bman040
06-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. This idea was never really about not wanting to build the wood rack. It sorta seemed like a better/more secure idea at the moment, plus we had the parts, so we went with it. Something bugged me about it though which is why I asked, and I'm glad I did. I'll follow the advice here and rebuild.

Merolis
06-25-2020, 05:48 PM
You dont have to build a wood rack, they are just easier to deal with. You can always dig holes and bury the mortar most of the way into the ground.

rfgonzo
06-25-2020, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what city or state you live in but if your near Sterling Heights Michigan I'm willing to let you borrow some racks. The 4th is coming up quick, if you don't have time to build racks, just send me a PM if your in my neck of the woods and let me know what you need.

Bman040
06-26-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure what city or state you live in but if your near Sterling Heights Michigan I'm willing to let you borrow some racks. The 4th is coming up quick, if you don't have time to build racks, just send me a PM if your in my neck of the woods and let me know what you need.

I greatly appreciate the kind offer, but I'm in NJ (shhh...don't tell anyone). No worries, I had enough wood scraps laying around to get 2 10 shot racks built last night. Just need to run to Lowes and I'll be able to finish up the job.

rfgonzo
06-26-2020, 09:02 PM
NP! good luck on the builds.

Theinkdon
07-05-2020, 08:20 AM
Since you have 50 tubes, I thought I'd share my 50-tube fan rack as an idea for you for next year:
I built a second one with sides and ends a little higher, feels a bit safer.
I like that fan configuration because it lets the shells spread out and fill the sky a little better. I usually fuse across a row of 5 tubes, either all at once, or more often, something like fire the 2 outer ones, then the next inboard pair, and finally the center. Or shoot a "W" of the center and two outer, and then the inside "V", or vice versa. Or zipper across the row, or a few rows back and forth. I can post some dimensions if anyone's interested, but it's easy enough to noodle out if you have at least 10 tubes in hand.