PDA

View Full Version : Heavy salutes??

Amaturepyro
06-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Hello again...I have a questions, again being new to the 1.3 stuff...are there regular salutes and heavy salutes?? I?ve got some regular 3? salutes and then I?ve got some with silver tails on them. Again both 3? mind you...i shot two of them side by side outta the guns and the silver tail salute echoed for miles!!! Like it extremely louder than the other one...I?m curious as to why given there both 3? tit. Salutes...
I asked about a ?heavy? salute cause I had read something on another forum about it.

displayfireworks1
06-22-2020, 07:51 PM
If I remember correctly the heavy salutes may be in a canister. A canister in 3 inch can hold more powder. I think Al in Pennsylvania was selling those.

RalphieJ
06-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Little Big Shots 3" Magnums are BEASTS.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-23-2020, 02:18 PM
Ditto on Little Big Shots--the 3" are great, but there is not much that can compare with a 5" ULTRA!!!!

leftiluci
06-23-2020, 06:55 PM
Amature and Dave, "heavy" refers to the flash comp within. It means the flash was made with high quality chems . For example lab or reagent grade perc and
finer size dark al instead of the usual cheap silver colored stuff. I have always paid a little more for my wizard 3" ball shells ,"heavy", but that little more is worth it for the difference between those and Lidu 3" ,which I would consider to be the industry standard. Yes other guys , l.b.s.'s salutes are great ,but if you want a louder high quality salute without a special license , "heavy" is worth the little extra money.

Amaturepyro
06-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Ok. Again the reason I ask was because these were both ball shells 3 inch...I will say that the one with the tail, the one that I think was twice as loud, did break a little lower than the other...could that be why it much louder?? I mean I wouldn’t think it would make that much difference. Maybe a little but this was wayyy more noticeably louder. Yeah the first one That was shot was a crown Pyro 3 inch salute and the other was I think a kellners shell...

leftiluci
06-24-2020, 08:31 AM
This new info explains the multiple part question better. Tails have nothing to do with loudness , it is just that little round nub sitting on top of the shell. as for loudness between non heavy salutes , it is just like consumer shells. What some on here use as the standard bar of comparison for 1.4 would be excals or smoke and mirrors. A box of 5.99 generic ball shells do not compare even though they are both 1.75". crown are like the generic , where in 1.3 many see Lidu as the standard to be compared to. You get what you pay for. see pyroking31's post next to yours about 1.4 vs crown

PyroKing31
06-24-2020, 08:58 AM
This new info explains the multiple part question better. Tails have nothing to do with loudness , it is just that little round nub sitting on top of the shell. as for loudness between non heavy salutes , it is just like consumer shells. What some on here use as the standard bar of comparison for 1.4 would be excals or smoke and mirrors. A box of 5.99 generic ball shells do not compare even though they are both 1.75". crown are like the generic , where in 1.3 many see Lidu as the standard to be compared to. You get what you pay for. see pyroking31's post next to yours about 1.4 vs crown

100%my opinion as well. I am very underwhelmed by the Crown 3" shells. I will be purchasing a different brand next year. You definitely get what you pay for. Lesson Learned.

displayfireworks1
06-24-2020, 07:19 PM
The few Chinese salute shells someone was brave enough to dis-assemble contained rice hulls and flash. My guess is someone like Alberts out of Pennsylvania are all flash composition. I personally would not buy a "Heavy" salute unless it was a canister. The physical decisions of a 3 inch ball shell can not change. A 3 in canister shell can increase in height while still remaining at 3 inch mortar requirements. I hope I said all of that correctly. LOL

RalphieJ
06-24-2020, 09:34 PM
If I remember correctly the heavy salutes may be in a canister. A canister in 3 inch can hold more powder. I think Al in Pennsylvania was selling those.

Precocious Pyrotechnics sells 3" canister salutes.

joewad
06-25-2020, 07:36 AM
3 inch canister shells have their place but when I want a bit more of a chest thump I go with a 5 inch canister.......Last year's 8 inch canister gave a false positive on Indiana's New Madrid Fault Line.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5048&stc=1

PyroKing31
06-25-2020, 08:58 AM
Last year's 8 inch canister gave a false positive on Indiana's New Madrid Fault Line.

Pyro Goals...

leftiluci
06-25-2020, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Joe, Dave and others who want to have a hog off on who's got the biggest salute for chiming in .Not the point of this thread. this is about buying regular commercially available 3" salutes. These have a total powder limit of around ,please chime in if you know an exact #, 84 grams or so. Just like 1.4 has it's powder limits .Yes if you are near lbs's and can get away with transporting those in your own personal vehicle , good for you ,personally I wouldn't drive with 1.1g in my ride. Anything over the prescribed amount of flash in a reg 1.3 3". Has different transportation and license requirements.. This is why "heavy" salutes came about. Same amount of flash as reg 3" salutes but much louder. Btw, Lidu has a line of not "heavy" but better than their standard salutes called blue thunder. These utilize an anodized blue al ,which is safer for factory workers to handle because of it's higher ignition temp and like mg/perc mix it is louder due to faster oxidation when that higher temp starts the reaction.

joewad
06-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Whew, I'm glad I didn't mention all the 4 inch canisters and 6 inch canister and upload a pic of them as well......or did I? I'm not a chemist so here goes: I always "lean" towards any Lidu Blue Thunder salute. I've shot I believe every "option" in size and they all seem to hit a bit harder. I've shot 3 inch Crown, Freedom, Flower King, Wizard, Vulcan and Lidu. I'll always favor a Lidu Blue Thunder salute. The absolute best 3 inch ball salute I shot was made by Bell Pyrotechnics here in central Indiana. It "blew" the doors off of any 3 inch ball salute I have ever shot but you paid premium for it and were not sold by the case. But alas, he is no longer in distribution business. And again, I apologize that I am not a chemist so I don't know all the 11 herbs and spices.
Occasionally I forget my meds as it appears that others may do as well. So I am sorry for having a "hog-off" upon your thread.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5067&stc=1

leftiluci
06-26-2020, 09:25 PM
no worries Joe , it was not my thread , i was just trying to keep it on track to answer the newbs q's without being high jacked . Trust me , i get carried away and sometimes manic about fireworks year round. Love you , Luci.

PyroOhio
07-08-2020, 08:43 PM
What about lampare shells?

joewad
07-09-2020, 09:39 AM
What about lampare shells?

I have never shot them but seen at a couple demos. I just never thought the little extra flame was worth the extra $'s. But 6 and 8 inch canister salutes that's a different story.......

PyroOhio
07-09-2020, 05:34 PM
Wow... that’s huge salute! I bet hear for miles away echo (chuckle)