PDA

View Full Version : Busted!

PyroBubba
06-20-2020, 10:05 PM
Be careful guys. We went to a retail store in Pennsylvania, and were en route to our storage location in West Virginia, where 1.4g is legal. However, we were traveling in a car with Maryland tags (mistake), and were stopped after we crossed into Maryland, where 1.4g is illegal.

No one but ourselves to blame.

They confiscated $600 worth, including 3 Z-cakes we had planned as the opener for our finale.

Trying to explain to fire marshal's officers that you are not going to shoot this in state is futile, when possession is illegal. But I support our law enforcement community, so don't burn down Wendy's or loot Target on my behalf. #pyrolivesmatter

They had that store staked out. If you are in a situation where you're shopping at a state border like that, keep in mind that this time of year, such surveillance might be a problem.

Because we are accustomed to buying wholesale OFF SEASON, we had not thought of this kind of surveillance. We got off with a warning, but that $600 loss? Ouch.

Be careful.

PyroManiacs
06-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear man!

jknepp1954
06-20-2020, 11:29 PM
they do the same thing to stores near the NY and NJ borders too

Arclight
06-21-2020, 12:18 AM
That sucks. California has the fire marshall searching pickups and vans coming back from Nevada on I-15 this time of year. Buy your stuff in April.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-22-2020, 12:41 AM
They let you off with a warning because they didn't want to document the stop so they'd have to turn in the fireworks. Now some cop has $600 of free fireworks to enjoy on the 4th with his family. smh... Shady s--t....

What was their probable cause to stop you in the first place? Suspected possession of fireworks?? Based on what facts??

Sorry.... This sort of thing pisses me off. I know it doesn't make sense to spend $5K on a lawyer to recover $600 worth of fireworks, but I think some of these cops use that to their advantage and stretch the limits of their authority to infringe on our rights.

PyroKing31
06-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Bought wholesale in may with a uhaul trailer. Clear sailing.

Birdman
06-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Well this answers a question I have had. I assumed transporting fireworks was the same as possession and state laws would apply should you be stopped with them in a state where they are not legal. They truck containers full of fireworks across the country so what makes this situation any different? Surely the trucks don't travel through legal states only so I assume there must be some sort of legal process that prevents containers from getting confiscated?

I'm sure these cops will have a good ol time "disposing" of these fireworks. I was at 4th picnic many years ago at a cops house and he put on the nicest backyard show I had seen up to then. This was in an illegal state mind you. That is where I saw my first 500g cakes. I didn't go asking any questions though.

I also had a BB gun confiscated by the cops as a kid. I found out years later that my BB gun was in the possession of the cops nephew. I still don't know what happened to the 30 pack of beer a cop confiscated from us as teenagers. I'm sure that evidence is long gone. I was just happy no charges were filed, as is usually the case in situations like these.

Fulliautomatix
06-22-2020, 02:35 PM
On a somewhat related note, the ATF allows safe passage for persons transporting NFA firearms through 'unfriendly' states as long as they are legal in the originating state and destination state. It's generally a good idea not to dawdle passing through those states lest some ambitious LEO misinterpret your intentions, and take you for a ride. That said, the ATF requests that you submit a form to them (ATF Form 5320.20) prior to transport. Slightly different than fireworks because the firearms are durable goods and specifically registered the the ATF.

Arclight
06-22-2020, 03:52 PM
It might be worth looking into the transportation laws in the states you are going through and preparing a bill of lading and other documents. If you an show that you engaged in some sort of legal commerce, that might avoid this in the future.

AxeElf
06-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Fireworks up, don't shoot!

Scotty Rockets
06-22-2020, 08:12 PM
Hmm this seems wrong. I?m not sure they actually have that ability to do what they did... maybe because of the MD plates they got you, if they where WV plates it might have been different. Any of you in the vehicle a MD resident? That would be another reason they where able to do this.

RalphieJ
06-22-2020, 09:57 PM
I've see stealth NY Trooper cruisers at both of the big box stores right off of Rt 84 in Matamoras Pa. If you have NY plates and load up your vehicle with a large quantity they'll radio ahead and intercept on your trip east back to NY. I prefer to purchase at the Mom and Pop's in Milford, and then tip-toe back home at the posted limit.

Mattp
06-22-2020, 10:39 PM
That really sucks... does sound like they pretty much just took your stash and sent you on your way... I thought I remembered reading somewhere.. that as along as you just passing through the state.. you should be good... to bad you didn’t whip out this:::

18 U.S. Code ? 836. Transportation of fireworks into State prohibiting sale or use
U.S. Code

Whoever, otherwise than in the course of continuous interstate transportation through any State, transports fireworks into any State, or delivers them for transportation into any State, or attempts so to do, knowing that such fireworks are to be delivered, possessed, stored, transshipped, distributed, sold, or otherwise dealt with in a manner or for a use prohibited by the laws of such State specifically prohibiting or regulating the use of fireworks, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Mattp
06-22-2020, 10:55 PM
One more thing I never understood about Maryland firework laws...there is a very well know firework store in Maryland ... if you can?t travel through the state with fireworks... how the hell does that make any sense

Altarr
06-22-2020, 11:25 PM
Couple of things. After you buy at the border stores, head a bit further into the state then try to setup with another route out if possible. Watching the lots is common. Used to be you could stop for lunch and blow an hour or two but not quite safe to do that now.

Second. If a cop asks to search your vehicle feel free to decline the search. Sets up a much harder legal bar to cross for them to search you if you dont allow them. Also feel free to not answer their questions. They are not your friends, you are either breaking the law or you are not. At no point do you need to explain anything about your travels day or intentions to a cop. Hand over your required documents and simply respond that you do not answer questions. Its awkward to have an ostensibly friendly person asking you things you ignore, but frankly, the questions are all traps anyway. Do you really think they care about your day while standing on the side of the highway?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2020, 06:06 AM
Best response yet Altarr! You Tube is full of videos that show you how the cops try to trick you into giving up your rights and talking yourself into a trip downtown in the back seat of their patrol car. Never talk to the cops, and NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle!!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2020, 06:08 AM
One more thing I never understood about Maryland firework laws...there is a very well know firework store in Maryland ... if you can?t travel through the state with fireworks... how the hell does that make any sense

Lol.. Great point Mattp!!

patsy
06-24-2020, 07:37 PM
It seems that fireworks laws are still contradicting.
Fireworks stores and consumers always seem to lose out when this happens. Its a ridiculous operation and the police and task force should focus their time and energy on more important matters. The same crap happens year after year. Governors, law enforcement, consumer affairs and fire marshals should meet with Consumer Fireworks stores and state legislators to come up with a different game plan to protect the consumer and firework retail stores. Even though consumer fireworks can be powerful they are still 1.4 items and not 1.3 but law enforcement and state legislation always site consumer fireworks as if they were 1.3 items for some strange reason.

chriskrc
06-25-2020, 07:20 AM
I've see stealth NY Trooper cruisers at both of the big box stores right off of Rt 84 in Matamoras Pa. If you have NY plates and load up your vehicle with a large quantity they'll radio ahead and intercept on your trip east back to NY. I prefer to purchase at the Mom and Pop's in Milford, and then tip-toe back home at the posted limit.

That's definitely a true statement they love to hang by Matamoras. I tell people all the time just go a little further to Blooming Grove and you will be just fine. Oh and don't drive a 100 mph to get home either.

mb_pyro
06-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Rule of thumb if you live in the north east and are concerned about police go before memorial day.

upNdown
06-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Rule of thumb if you live in the north east and are concerned about police go before memorial day.
Exactly. And if you do have to go in late June - don't hit a border store then turn around and go straight home. I like poker. Which is handy, because my favorite fireworks store is just a couple miles down the road from a poker room. Load trunk with fireworks - go play poker until midnight - drive home uninterrupted.

Arclight
06-25-2020, 03:02 PM
If you're in California, get your fireworks in Goldfield, NV and not any of the places near Las Vegas. And do it some other time than late June!

Ctpyro180
07-07-2020, 10:33 PM
Well this answers a question I have had. I assumed transporting fireworks was the same as possession and state laws would apply should you be stopped with them in a state where they are not legal. They truck containers full of fireworks across the country so what makes this situation any different? Surely the trucks don't travel through legal states only so I assume there must be some sort of legal process that prevents containers from getting confiscated?

I'm sure these cops will have a good ol time "disposing" of these fireworks. I was at 4th picnic many years ago at a cops house and he put on the nicest backyard show I had seen up to then. This was in an illegal state mind you. That is where I saw my first 500g cakes. I didn't go asking any questions though.

I also had a BB gun confiscated by the cops as a kid. I found out years later that my BB gun was in the possession of the cops nephew. I still don't know what happened to the 30 pack of beer a cop confiscated from us as teenagers. I'm sure that evidence is long gone. I was just happy no charges were filed, as is usually the case in situations like these.

Trucks are federally licensed motor carriers that pay permit fees and hazardous material license fees along with proper insurances. The drivers who carry haz mat have license endorsements .... and the bottom line is the carrier is delivering the product is covered under federal DOT laws either interstate or intrastate.

A private individual transporting product in a vehicle .... that is illegal in that particular state ...will run into some type of situation with law enforcement when stopped.

Birdman
07-08-2020, 02:17 PM
I figured there had to be laws that protected interstate commerce or something. Thanks for the clarification!