PDA

View Full Version : First Remote Firing System

gmttnt13
12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Just received my new firing system and just have one question: What does it mean when they say multiple ignitors must be connected in PARALLEL.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Easy to shoe with a picture-harder to describe. If you take each ignitor and say it has a "right" and "left" wire [since the color of both wires is the same--not like a red & black] all the "left" wires are connected together [like all reds] & all the "right" wires are connected together[like all blacks]. The down side of this is when you continuity check it will NOT tell you if one of the ignitors is defective. as long as one is good, it shows continuity.
Series is when you would connect [let's say 3 igniters] red to the slat, black to the next red, that black to the next red, & that black to the slat. The problem with series wiring with ignitors is that one may heat & ignite before the others leaving you with a mis-fire.
This is a common problem with ignitors & not an issue with Ematches.

I hope this explains it clearly for you.

Minishow
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
It only come into effect if you want to fire more than one item off of a single cue, basicaly it means if you want to fire 3 ignitors at the same time then you cant "daisy chain" them like the second illistration in the post above. You will have to make shure that each ignitor has an electrical path to the firing system like the first illistration in the post above (squigel lines indicate an indiviual ignitor). If you only want to light one ignitor per cue then you will never have to worry about this. Also keep in mind most systems have a limit as to how many ignitors will work off of one cue so if you have to many wired in parralel they will never get hot enough to pop and none of them will go. So in a nut shell: parallel=each match pluged into the cue at each wire end, sieres= only to wires pluged into the cue and the ignitors wired to each other end to end.

indianahx
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
It only come into effect if you want to fire more than one item off of a single cue, basicaly it means if you want to fire 3 ignitors at the same time then you cant "daisy chain" them like the second illistration in the post above.

This is incorrect. Talons or the various other type of safety ignitors NORMALLY cannot be wired in series. Those types of ignitors need to be wired per the first diagram which is parallel. EMATCHES should be wired in series (as Joe explained its not a common problem for matches to be wired this way). I did a test on one of my basic 12 cue remote firing systems and i wired 1, 2, 3, 4, and then 5 ematches in series (5 separate tests) just to see what I could physically do, and there was no problem. All matches popped at the same time each time.

Also keep in mind most systems have a limit as to how many ignitors will work off of one cue so if you have to many wired in parralel they will never get hot enough to pop and none of them will go.

This is technically true. it's not so much the "system" that has limits, it's each individual cue. the cues are basically on a circuit board and if you put too much current (too many matches or talons, whatever) through a cue it will potentially fry the circuit or the board itself. I have never done more than two talons in parallel at a time, but have not needed any more than that either. also, being that I have the lowest end basic firing system, I didnt even want to bother trying large quantities at the same time.

basically, i was told----->Ematches = Series, Talons = Parallel

Minishow
12-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I din't mean to say that you can never wire in series, I was just refering to his perticular system. Also gmttnt13 please post again if you still have any qestions, I know that its difficult to understand without actually doing it and having the wires in your hands. Somebody in here will be able to help I'm shure of it :)

indianahx
12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Got ya....must have been how I read it. In any case its just more clarification.

Pyro Nation
12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Not to get away from the subject of parallel or series, but since more than likely you will be using igniters unless you have the Type 54.. Check out the other posts on the site on prepping the best way to make sure you get the best chance at 100% ignition with the igniters...

did you buy the system from one of the sponsors...if so, what system is it?

J's12talk
12-20-2011, 10:11 PM
As a standard when shooting for my company we always wire in series. That way you can do a continuity check and find out if you have any bad e-matches. If you wire in parrallel you will never know if you have a bad e-match or connection.

gmttnt13
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Not to get away from the subject of parallel or series, but since more than likely you will be using igniters unless you have the Type 54.. Check out the other posts on the site on prepping the best way to make sure you get the best chance at 100% ignition with the igniters...

did you buy the system from one of the sponsors...if so, what system is it?
No I did not buy it from a sponsor since I did not know about this site at the time. I don't know if I can mention the brand or not.

Palermitano2
12-21-2011, 09:31 AM
So I have a basic 12 cue system. Can I splice 2 ignitors and fire them in the same cue? and say get 2 hits out of cue #1 with the press of the button labeled 1?

indianahx
12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes Pal....if they are clip style ignitors put the two positive wires in one terminal, the two negative wires in the other.....

Like was said before the down side to this is that the system might say you have good continuity, but that may be true for 1 of 2 ignitors or 2 of 2 ignitors....no way to tell in parallel.

Pyro Nation
12-21-2011, 04:09 PM
PAL...just make sure especially with igniters...You have enough voltage... 6+ volts works....

Palermitano2
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
I cant wait to try this.........so in a nut shell....my 12 cue system will be used as a 24 cue.........thanks gents.....

UniversalPyro
12-21-2011, 09:56 PM
As a standard when shooting for my company we always wire in series. That way you can do a continuity check and find out if you have any bad e-matches. If you wire in parrallel you will never know if you have a bad e-match or connection.

Well, you really don't worry about this when your shooting mexican shells cause you can wire it right and the shells won't fire anyhow!!!!! :)

Pyro Nation
12-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, you really don't worry about this when your shooting mexican shells cause you can wire it right and the shells won't fire anyhow!!!!! :)

OH SNAP..... Someone went there and SLAPPED someone else... its ok J... we know we know... they are your favorite shells.. We wont try and deter you from using them more often

PyroJoeNEPA
12-22-2011, 11:19 AM
OH SNAP..... Someone went there and SLAPPED someone else... its ok J... we know we know... they are your favorite shells.. We wont try and deter you from using them more often
Talk about hijacking the thread!!! LOL You guys are drinking way too much coffee!!!
Pickin on poor J just because he has "Mexi-shell-itis"!

Palermitano2
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Talk about hijacking the thread!!! LOL You guys are drinking way too much coffee!!!
Pickin on poor J just because he has "Mexi-shell-itis"!

Lmao too funny .....I cant wait to meet all you guys....

J's12talk
12-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Lmao too funny .....I cant wait to meet all you guys....

We all get together south of the border at Taco Bell, we'll keep you posted on our next get together.

Palermitano2
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice I love The Bell!!!!

floridapyro
12-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Using Talons just twist the wires together and plug in pos and neg terminal. Make sure that any bare wire from either terminal doesn't touch the other. You will show continuity but when you hit Que it will short and no ignition.

Pyro Nation
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Using Talons just twist the wires together and plug in pos and neg terminal. Make sure that any bare wire from either terminal doesn't touch the other. You will show continuity but when you hit Que it will short and no ignition.

Twisting together goes for any igniter or ematch....

floridapyro
12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=pyroliffic;7923]Twisting together goes for any igniter or ematch....[/QUOT

Yes thanks for the info.Just making a point that on the talon there are no negs or pos wires till you plug them in. Just wrap em up plug in and go. Pretty simple. And when you go series with matches you just don't twist them up and plug them in. Bit of a difference.

indianahx
12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=pyroliffic;7923]Twisting together goes for any igniter or ematch....[/QUOT

Yes thanks for the info.Just making a point that on the talon there are no negs or pos wires till you plug them in. Just wrap em up plug in and go. Pretty simple. And when you go series with matches you just don't twist them up and plug them in. Bit of a difference.

You would definitely twist the joints between negatives and positives......just not the one negative and one positive going into the terminal

floridapyro
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
OK maybe im misunderstood here. It does not matter which wire you choose from either Talon. Pick one from each and twist them. Pick the other two and twist them. Pick one and put them in either neg or pos. Put the other in the remaining slot. Presto magic. I'm humping a dead horse here. Folks this is 101 search bar info. Peace i'm outa this thread!