PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Preference...

screamin6x6
06-19-2020, 08:40 AM
I'm beginning the process of obtaining my Type 54 License using Dave's DVD package and would like some opinions from you experienced guys on a magazine. I was gifted a small, (24"x 24"x 48"), magazine from a friend in the mining industry. It will require a good clean up and new paint job, other than that, it's in pretty good shape. It was originally a Type 2 magazine, but the wood lining has been stripped out. Outside location, distance, and weather proofing requirements will not be an issue. So, would I be better served installing it as Type 2 on my property, (i.e. having it securely fastened to a fixed object as it is less than one cubic yard in size, and replacing the 2" wood liner)? Or, should I just apply a spray-type liner to the inside like so many do with the Job-box type magazines and ask for it to be classified as a Type 4? Due to my inexperience, I'm just not aware of the advantages of having my own Type 2 vs Type 4.

displayfireworks1
06-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Can you post some pictures of the box you have. It can help people better advise you. If you need help posting a picture look at the sticky thread I posted under the miscellaneous category .
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7941-How-to-post-video-and-pictures-on-pyrotalk-com

Arclight
06-19-2020, 11:30 AM
If you're going to the trouble, I would go ahead and redo the lining. Then you are legal to store literally anything explosive in case you upgrade to a type 20 later or whatever. A real type 2 like that would cost you about $7K new. They aren't hard to refurbish. Here is my build:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7486-Type-II-Magazine-Refurb&highlight=type+magazine

Since it's under a cubic yard, you would have to tie it down. Just pour a little concrete and bolt it down away from your house. Check the table of distances for high and low explosives and post here if you need help.

screamin6x6
06-19-2020, 12:19 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm working out of town, but I will get a picture posted up when I get home for the 4th.

screamin6x6
06-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Thanks Arclight. It looks similar to yours with the vented sides and top, hoods on the locks, and skids. It still has the manufacturer's nameplate on the front of the door. I'm pretty pumped about getting it for free. Your restoration is very impressive.

screamin6x6
07-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Due to distance and time issues, I elected to go the Type 4 route with this magazine. I put down many coats of a spray-on rubberized undercoating from the auto parts store on all surfaces inside and a sand/primer/paint job to just clean up the outside. I've got the locks ordered and now all that remains is a passport photo and my application will be going out to begin the process.

Arclight
07-10-2020, 12:35 PM
That's a great find. It looks very similar to mine, made by Tread Corporation. Your's is one of the newer models with L-shaped shrouds around the lock boxes. I welded on something similar when I refurbished mine. It should easily pass as a Type 4. You can add the 2" of hardwood later if you want to store 1.1 material like bulk salute shells or blasting product.