PDA

View Full Version : Pyro terms and vocabulary....

Birdman
06-15-2020, 08:49 PM
I notice everyone seems to use some different terminology for pyro. For example, some shoot fireworks and others light off fireworks while other just simply light fireworks. I'm not sure if there are regional differences or something else that determines what terms or vocabulary is used. I thought maybe it would make for some interesting conversation to see what terms are used, accepted or even frowned upon by others. Maybe there are some proper terms we should all be using in some cases?

In my world we mostly light off fireworks but shooting or shooting off fireworks is also common. A common correction I've been making, after learning the difference myself several years ago, is that you don't buy or light mortars. You buy shells and light/fire them in a mortar. The "pyro-snob" in me will often force me to ask....did you buy just the tubes or did you buy shells? That brings up another question.....Do you light or fire a shell?

tmwjr
06-15-2020, 11:02 PM
I light the wick ��

Seriously tho, I think I use shoot mostly. And sometimes light. I've never done the fire a shell.

tmwjr
06-15-2020, 11:03 PM
The sarcastic emoji didn't come thru after wick on the post...

jknepp1954
06-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Firecrackers is also known as BRICKS.....SQUIBS.....MATTS. weird!

Pgdark19
06-16-2020, 09:14 AM
I tell the wife i'm going to out to buy "milk"....

hatsgoods
06-16-2020, 01:25 PM
when im on pro 1.3g shows and im dealing with ematch and have to extend / make wire longer i call the extra wire scab wire but most know it as blasting wire / blasting cable and name brand seimiole but shot of semi wire. so also call it trunk line

Arclight
06-16-2020, 01:32 PM
when im on pro 1.3g shows and im dealing with ematch and have to extend / make wire longer i call the extra wire scab wire but most know it as blasting wire / blasting cable and name brand seimiole but shot of semi wire. so also call it trunk line

In blasting, "trunk line" usually means detonating cord that ties multiple holes together so that they fire at the same time.

DavidthePyro
06-17-2020, 07:37 AM
Was this prompted by the "where can I do fireworks?", terminology :p

"Anyone know a good bar to do alcohol?"

PyroKing31
06-17-2020, 07:46 AM

You drink drinks, but you don't food foods. While English is weird, this hobby has lots of words for the same thing.

Birdman
06-17-2020, 09:01 AM

LOL...yes. That and sometimes when I'm posting on here I'm not sure what the best term to use is.

Mattp
06-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Also really depends on your level of knowledge about fireworks... I recently got into a conversation with someone about Excalibur shells... he kept calling them festival balls.. lol.. over the years my terminology has changed too... now I call a mortar and shell by their proper names .. I usually say I’m going to “shoot” fireworks... but I also very rarely “light” any fireworks anymore because I use a firing system ...the company I work for wants us to strictly adhere to all of the proper names definitions laid out in the NFPA codes .. I don’t think anyone on this website would frown upon anyone using an improper term.. as long as they know what it is your talking about .. I’m sure nicknames also change depending on where you are from.... growing up I remember thinking a brick was half of a Matt when buying firecrackers

hatsgoods
06-17-2020, 11:07 PM
In blasting, "trunk line" usually means detonating cord that ties multiple holes together so that they fire at the same time.

yea in the 1.3G world outside of blasting most 1.3G field techs and i believe but not sure in NFPA ( national fire protection agency via somewhere NFPA 1123 its says DISPLAY FIREWORKS : TRUNK LINE SHELL BE A HEAVY GAUGE DUPLEX WIRE ( LIKE A TABLE LAMP POWER CORD ) IS THE CONTROL LINE FROM A COMPUTER TO A SYSTEMS CAPOTORS. basically a 2 wire system for pyro musicals and those same systems can be used as a manual switch board. fireone and star fire and for manual switch board like the pyromates PYROMATE P-45 - a battery hooked to a key power switch then to push buttons that go to computer pin data cables to field mods.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-20-2020, 06:36 AM
IMHO, forums like this are for learning. Inherent in that is the expectation that people will be coming on here and using the wrong terms and the wrong everything. I think it's incumbent upon all the experienced pyros in here to respect their willingness to learn, and respectfully teach them the proper terms and the proper way to do things. We don't need the vocabulary police running loose on the boards.

My $0.02.

Birdman
06-20-2020, 10:40 AM
IMHO, forums like this are for learning. Inherent in that is the expectation that people will be coming on here and using the wrong terms and the wrong everything. I think it's incumbent upon all the experienced pyros in here to respect their willingness to learn, and respectfully teach them the proper terms and the proper way to do things. We don't need the vocabulary police running loose on the boards.

My $0.02.

I think that is what we have here. I have been a member of many forums over the years. I have even administered or moderated a few, and I can tell you I have never found such a helpful, respectful, engaged and focused community like I've found here. It's one of the reason I post as much as I do. Everyone really seems to respect each others level of knowledge and opinions. That's unusual, in my experience, with such a diverse group of members. Some of the credit also needs to go to Dave who does a good job moderating the forums. Although his job is made easier because of the group of members he's attracted. It's not easy to moderate a forum if your members are mostly interested in soliciting laughs, injecting politics (or other off topic discussions), belittling others or being or feeding trolls. Fortunately for Dave we have very little of that here.

So I guess we learned there are no strong opinions on terms to use/not use. Hopefully that will make some others more comfortable posting on here.

DavidthePyro
06-20-2020, 11:28 AM
Well said! Life is all about learning, and we are never finished products. Since we are all always looking to improve our displays, we have a built-in humbleness. So many people are about their ego, not the results. Thats what is so great to see. When I read about guys having 6-7 people to help set up it screams to me "community and connection are what this world needs more of to heal" I'm very grateful to have come across this site and to see that everyone is working together in a way. It gives me hope. I wish everyone in this world had a hobby that could simultaneously build confidence and remind them that there's always tomorrow, always more to learn, always a way to be better

AxeElf
06-20-2020, 01:41 PM
Saying you're going to go blow some powder has a different meaning at a fireworks shoot than at a disco. And who knew you could poke cakes on a slice rack outside of a bakery?